Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGabriel’s solo career-Prog or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 06:08
It started with progressive reminiscences, especially in the minimalist collaboration with Fripp. But since the release of the (awfull for me) "So", it was only MTV dance musak. With "Up", we have a slight come back to progressive intend but still not remarkable.
Pierre R, the man who lost his signature
yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 09:46
Peter Gabriel's intent with breaking with Genesis was to stop making progressive rock.  So his solo career is most definitely not a part of prog.  "Art rock" isn't a real musical genre, but for the purposes of how it's described on this forum, I'd say around half of PG's solo albums roughly fall into this category.
eduardossc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 09:52

I donīt care if Gabrielīs music is prog or not. It is still very well crafted music. In contrast to your feelings towards recent albums, I find these albums better than previous. I sure like songs like "Intruder", "San jacinto", "here comes the flood" and "The rythm of the heat"...and some others I donīt remember right now. Still, there are way better and more mature and concrete ideas in recent albums by Gabriel. With a better and more solid sound, even from "SO". man ĄĄ. "In your eyes" and "red rain" are fantastic. ĄĄ...

Well, thatīs just my opinion. I think Phil Collins, despite everyonesī bad comments about him, made 4 great albums. ...Forget about being prog or not. "Face value" has many songs with great instrumentation with jazz influences, "In the air tonight" is an absolute classic and is full of originality. The second album still has at least some 4 creative and memorable songs, plus the pop songs here are fresh, full of conviction, energic and entertaining. "no jacket required" the third album is one of the best and better crafted pop albums in history. Remember, POP is not meant to be music for the brain, is music to entertain and present certain moods, this album is great at that. Making good pop like that is way more difficult than making lousy Prog like later Caravanīs, Later CANīs, Epidarius, Many Magmasī, and many more in plain 70īs. (Yeah ĄĄ, bring it on, Iīm waiting for this siteīs stubborn blind-love-for-prog-arguments). his 4th. album "But seriously" has great compositions and arrangements. It really is a well done album. Has itīs own personality and style, was made with conviction, is fresh and entertaining throughout.

Does it need anything else to be good music?...to be prog?,...even if it is boring, uncompromised, repetitive, monotonuos, not original prog like the one by the bands mentioned above?.

Donīt worry about Gabrielīs later music being prog or not. ...Making a comparison, Gabrielīs music is a full lenght Mozart concert compared to Watersī "musicless" solo albums.

Listen to "In your eyes" live. ManĄĄ, thatīs passion, conviction, joy, excitement ĄĄ. I love that song played live, it just makes me cry listening to these musicians placing their heart out for the listeners. They canīt hide their joy for sharing that moment with each other. Thatīs what is important, not being prog just for the sake of being prog.    

Edited by eduardossc
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 10:00
Originally posted by eduardossc eduardossc wrote:

I donīt care if Gabrielīs music is prog or not. It is still very well crafted music.

Yes well put! Too much danger of over-categorising things....at the end of the day there's only good or bad music and Gabriel is excellent.
yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 10:01

I was with you until you brought up "In Your Eyes," .  I find that one to be really banal.

But yeah -- "prog" is just a genre.  It is not a "highter" form of music, and there can be music that is highly experimental and creative that is not considered part of prog.     

Genesisprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 10:18
    NO NO NO
Frank Zappa,Pink Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Rush,King Crimson,Jethro Tull,E.L.P,Rick Wakeman -They have one similarity-    I Love Them all !
eduardossc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 10:21
Originally posted by yargh yargh wrote:

I was with you until you brought up "In Your Eyes," .  I find that one to be really banal.

But yeah -- "prog" is just a genre.  It is not a "highter" form of music, and there can be music that is highly experimental and creative that is not considered part of prog.     

About "in your eyes",  Itīs a matter of taste I guess. The studio album could be liked or not. I donpt blame you. But I really recommend you to listen to it live from his last double live album (donīt remember the name). If itīs "In your eyes" it really doesnīt matter, it could even be another song...The real deal here is the passion, that implicit energy they put out.

proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 10:52
I dont know if prog or not.
but i love his music.
...live for tomorrow...
ProgPartin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 11:41
The way PG is able to put song together and change sound and direction from cd to cd is incredible. Prog or not, his music is still some of the best crafted I have ever heard.
Saviorts View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 12:44
I think Peter Gabriel's solo work is progressive, in the sense that the style of his music has certainly had changes and taken influences from different types of music through the years.

But is it PROG?

Short answer: no.  If I were to describe prog rock as a general term to someone, and mention a list of bands as examples, I wouldn't mention PG.

Long answer: yes.  Since the term "prog" has about as many alternative defenitions as the music itself has sub-genres, it could be comfortably called prog among other prog enthusiasts, and those enthusiasts would certainly know what you mean (even if they don't necessarily accept it).  If you called it prog to a layman, they might get confused.

Either way I'm glad solo PG is listed on this site, or else I may have never started listening to it and loving it.

Thanks to eduardossc for justifying some of Phil Collins work too, always a good thing to do on this site.
For the love of goldens.
hcnoer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 13:49
I don't look upon it is prog, but that doesn't mean i don't like it. I find it kinda interesting.
OldFatherThames View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 14:14
I think it's not progressive but have some elements, but honestly, I absolutely don't care. I love many of his work, especially PG1, PG3, Up, progressive or not ! Call it what you want ! Don't waste your time, just listen and appreciated the talent of this master !
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 17:18
If PG isn't art-rock I don't know what is.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 12:17
I think his post Genesis material at best is Prog-Related. I give him the nod only because of his contribution during the Prog years and his first solo album, which was very creative. After that, his albums seemed more standard weird. Wink

Edited by StyLaZyn - April 02 2007 at 12:18
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 16:59
He's "prog" in MY house.

I don't care whether or not he is in yours -- I don't live there, or even know you.
(Not that it matters, as long as we enjoy his music -- you can call it prog, "prop" rock, "flibbertigibbet," or "Bob," for all the difference it makes.

"What's in a name? A rose by any other would smell as sweet...." Ermm

Labels schmabels! Thumbs%20Down

'Tis damned good, and creative, in any case!Stern%20Smile 
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 18:17
No nit not.
Nit no not.
Nit nit folly bololey.
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 00:04
Originally posted by rockandrail rockandrail wrote:

It started with progressive reminiscences, especially in the minimalist collaboration with Fripp. But since the release of the (awfull for me) "So", it was only MTV dance musak. With "Up", we have a slight come back to progressive intend but still not remarkable.

Nothing Remarkable? My Dear Sir, we both have heard different albums.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 00:24
I love 'So' (and all his albums) as well, but remember that according to this site's current definition, Art Rockers, as wide-ranging as they may be, must 100% Prog. Last time this came up I felt Gabriel belonged in Art, but now I think ProgRelated is just about right.

Edited by Atavachron - April 10 2007 at 00:25
Christine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 07:24
Petey G. is definitely prog related. Even though the layers of composition that he puts into his music aren't as apparent as the ones defined in Genesis, they're still there & if you listen just as closely as you would to prog you notice a lot. Whenever I listen to "Up" I notice something different every time!
catsfootironclaw
convocation View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 12:57
Peter Gabriel is a progressive rock artist. For eample, nobody really faults Yes for having a hit on Fragile - Roundabout, refering to the good old days.  Besides, good progressive rockers evolve and reinvent themselves continually; sometimes testing the water in other genres.  His (PG) influences are eclectic, and he's always original.  Those who don't accept Gabriel as continuing to be active in prog after departing Genesis simple have too rigid a definition of what "progressive" rock is all about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>