Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGoing for the one -Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 11:49

Blacksword-Your attitude in music is like -everything that is not prog is crap.

It isn`t so .

Frank Zappa,Pink Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Rush,King Crimson,Jethro Tull,E.L.P,Rick Wakeman -They have one similarity-    I Love Them all !
Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:28

Originally posted by yargh yargh wrote:

I guess G4tO is a good album -- especially considering the band's future after this one -- but it has an "all dressed up but nowhere to go" feel to it.  It's the first Yes album that could be called a "water-treader," in that the band didn't try to do much that was new.  In spite of all that, I like most of it.  Turn of the Century and Parallels are the two tracks that I think are superlative.  The title track would have been the best on the album, but it goes on about twice as long as it should.  Wondrous Stories and Awaken are the duds

You are crazy............

Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:31
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Genesisprog Genesisprog wrote:

Fragile DT -Yeah Genesis can put alot of emotions in their music but Yes 

can much much more. 

It depends what touches you personally, I guess. Both bands made very emotional music, but IMO Genesis just about beats Yes.

Umm....well I don't think that Genesis necessarily has MORE emotion than YES.....Steve Howe is one of the most emotive players I have ever heard in the rock medium.

lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:32
I think it's their last great album.  I love Turn of the Century.  It's absolutely gorgeous.
My recent purchases:
yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:44
Originally posted by Proglover Proglover wrote:

I guess G4tO is a good album -- especially considering the band's future after this one -- but it has an "all dressed up but nowhere to go" feel to it.  It's the first Yes album that could be called a "water-treader," in that the band didn't try to do much that was new.  In spite of all that, I like most of it.  Turn of the Century and Parallels are the two tracks that I think are superlative.  The title track would have been the best on the album, but it goes on about twice as long as it should.  Wondrous Stories and Awaken are the duds

You are crazy............

Well, it's all a matter of taste.  To my tastes, inane sentimentality and the dragging of simple musical ideas into the ground aren't examples of good music.  Listening to 'Awaken' is like being forced to drink a gallon of lite beer in one sitting.   

yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:46
Originally posted by Proglover Proglover wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Genesisprog Genesisprog wrote:

Fragile DT -Yeah Genesis can put alot of emotions in their music but Yes 

can much much more. 

It depends what touches you personally, I guess. Both bands made very emotional music, but IMO Genesis just about beats Yes.

Umm....well I don't think that Genesis necessarily has MORE emotion than YES.....Steve Howe is one of the most emotive players I have ever heard in the rock medium.

I'd agree with you here.  I don't see how anyone could say that Genesis' music is more "emotional" than Yes.  Yes' music is often emotional to the point of being sappy; not much of Genesis' prog output could be considered sappy, IMO.   

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 16:12

GFTO is the best album I've ever heard.

It's the Mount Everest of albums.

Edited by Moogtron III
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 16:25
I think it's a masterpiece myself- probably my 2nd fave Yes album (I can't decide whether CTTE or Relayer is my fave Yes album). And 'Awaken' is frankly perfect and shows prog at its absolute peak- however there's an aura of sadness attached to it for me, as it's the last truly exceptional prog epic I've heard to be honest, and certainly Yes' last one, imo. Certainly Rick Wakeman's deliriously brilliant church organ interlude in 'Awaken' is kind of like a 'last hurrah' of the golden years of prog to these ears...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 16:32

It's good. I enjoy it, but i won't call it a masterpiece.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Green Tank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 16:38
From all the Yes research I've done I;m under the impression that Going For the One is the last Yes album worth listening to. I'll get it one day.
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:34
Originally posted by The Green Tank The Green Tank wrote:

From all the Yes research I've done I;m under the impression that Going For the One is the last Yes album worth listening to. I'll get it one day.

No, Big Generator rates as the last Yes album worth listening to. GFTO rates in their top list. Haven't you read the previous posts in this thread- many have mentioned this is the last of the true spirit of Yes releases. That doesn't mean it is bad, it means it is good.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:45
IMO, Going for the One is the most accessible classic yes album. It certainly belons in the top 5 list, iand I prefer it to Tales. If you don't have it, I highly reccomend it.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:49
To be honest, there are few, if any, dreadful Yes albums- certainly some are lacking, such as 'Tormato' and 'Union', but Yes' AOR material like '90125' and 'Big Generator' is far cleverer than Genesis' 80s stuff is for the most part, and albums like 'The Ladder' are actually superb for a band so late into their career...
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:55
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

To be honest, there are few, if any, dreadful Yes albums- certainly some are lacking, such as 'Tormato' and 'Union', but Yes' AOR material like '90125' and 'Big Generator' is far cleverer than Genesis' 80s stuff is for the most part, and albums like 'The Ladder' are actually superb for a band so late into their career...

Agreed. Not much wrong with Magnification for a bunch of oldies, either.
yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:15

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "dreadful."  IMO, if Yes had begun life with Tormato and only had the albums to their credit that they released since then, they'd be a pretty sorry excuse for a band.  Tormato wasn't any good, IMO.  Drama had Machine Messiah, but I'm wholly unimpressed by the rest of it.  90125 was mediocre -- they did some interesting things with Owner of a Loney Heart, but much of the rest of the album is boring arena-rock -- nowhere near the calibre of Abacab, IMO.  Now with Big Generator I think they were on to something.  No, it wasn't really "Yes," (as anyone into their history knows, Rabin-Yes wasn't really the same band), but this represented the pinnacle of the Rabin era, IMO. Then there was Union and ABWH which I think were god-awful.  Talk was fair; the Keys Studio stuff was fair, Open Your Eyes was one of the worst albums I've ever heard by a band that has released an album that I think is good (right up there with Calling All Stations).  The Ladder was frustratingly inconsistent and Magnification brought Yes back up to the level of being blandly decent.   

cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:21
So, in other words Yargh, you prefer pop to composition. That's fine, but did you know that you are on a progressive music site? 
yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:28

Originally posted by cobb cobb wrote:

So, in other words Yargh, you prefer pop to composition. That's fine, but did you know that you are on a progressive music site? 

Abacab is far more creative than 90125.  Furthermore I rate TYA, Fragile, CTTE and Relayer among the best prog albums ever, so spare me your witticisms about my preferring pop over prog.  The fact that you're even discussing Yes' post 1974 material in terms of how *good* it is says a lot more about your tolerance for real progressive music than my own.  

Foojoe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:31
 Have to agree the last really brilliant album from the band. To hear "Awaken" in concert is truly moving, especially in this day of hit and run music.
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:36

Abacab is far more creative than 90125.  Furthermore I rate TYA, Fragile, CTTE and Relayer among the best prog albums ever, so spare me your witticisms about my preferring pop over prog.  The fact that you're even discussing Yes' post 1974 material in terms of how *good* it is says a lot more about your tolerance for real progressive music than my own.  

touche
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 13:07
Excellent album Awaken is awesome!
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12