Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [50.00%]
38 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 07:34
There are much more ELP's albums than Le Orme's albums which I love. And in fact Le Orme is just a derivate band bacause Emerson started such kind of music.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 08:20
ELP are the best band in the world. So I voted for them.

Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

There is no doubt Keith is virtuoso when it comes to hammering the Hammond but his limitation to piano and organ, missing melotron, synthesizers and acoustic instruments makes him somewhat one - eyed.

I don't understand this, Emerson pwns the synth! And isn't piano acoustic?Confused

Edited by Snow Dog - May 06 2007 at 08:22
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 09:18
Originally posted by ozzy_tom ozzy_tom wrote:

There are much more ELP's albums than Le Orme's albums which I love. And in fact Le Orme is just a derivate band bacause Emerson started such kind of music.

HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!   and what pray tell is Le Orme derivative of????  Don't try to tell me ELP...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 09:49
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

ELP are the best band in the world. So I voted for them.

Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

There is no doubt Keith is virtuoso when it comes to hammering the Hammond but his limitation to piano and organ, missing melotron, synthesizers and acoustic instruments makes him somewhat one - eyed.

I don't understand this, Emerson pwns the synth! And isn't piano acoustic?Confused
True, but Keith is not such synthesizer-colourist as Rick Wakeman, more monochromatic - perhaps I am myself one-eyed not to notice the richness of Keith's palette - and if you consider piano as acoustic instrument, listen to the way Peter Hammill treats this instrument - sheer brutality
yet you still have time!
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 11:14
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

[QUOTE=ozzy_tom]
HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!   and what pray tell is Le Orme derivative of????  Don't try to tell me ELP...

micky, please tell us who was real inspiration for Le Orme if not ELP. LOL

Edited by NotAProghead - May 06 2007 at 11:15
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

[QUOTE=ozzy_tom]

come on... inspiration to a point..  but they sound little alike and to say Le Orme is derivative is assine.LOL  Only in how they approached prog, as a 3 piece with keys being prominent. Michi is no Palmer clone, hell none of them are.  I sense or hear none of the shear bombasity, or pretention in their music.  Nor ELP's penchant for alternating between heavy aggressive tracks with lighter... throwaway  if you will.... tracks.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Minimalist777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 11:54
Le Orme, though definetly influenced by ELP, takes away some of the pretention making them my preference.

Edited by Minimalist777 - May 06 2007 at 11:54
WWOSD?
What Would OliverStoned Do?
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 12:19

[QUOTE=ozzy_tom]

come on... inspiration to a point..  but they sound little alike and to say Le Orme is derivative is assine.LOL  Only in how they approached prog, as a 3 piece with keys being prominent. Michi is no Palmer clone, hell none of them are.  I sense or hear none of the shear bombasity, or pretention in their music.  Nor ELP's penchant for alternating between heavy aggressive tracks with lighter... throwaway  if you will.... tracks.
I don't want to be misunderstood - I love Le Orme and listen, at least now, to their music more often than ELP.
But I think you agree, if ELP never existed Le Orme's sound of the 70's was different.
"Ad Gloriam" and early singles (except for "Blue Rondo a la Turk" and "Concerto N.3" (Bach)) have a little common with their classic albums, from "Collage" to "Contrappunti", where ELP influences are obvious.
ELP showed them the direction. Though Le Orme were enough talented to be more than ELP followers and created lots of original music. 

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 12:58

Though Le Orme were enough talented to be more than ELP followers and created lots of original music. 

exactly.. that is why I don't consider them derivative. There is the basic difference that ELP at heart was an agressive.. and let's say it..  an indulgent group.  Le Orme was exactly the opposite.  Music  of beauty..not fury.. and not fighting over the time alloted for each members solo spots LOL

ELP influenced damn near every prog band. Especially any with a significant keyboard sound. Some like Le Orme took it and ran with it... others like the 'Rat'..  just were ELP clones hahhaha and were derivative.

Negru Voda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 14:15
Le Orme because they don't have an Emerson for an egomaniac. No 10000000000 km/minute keyboard solos, thanks.

Le Orme could actually write music.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by Negru Voda Negru Voda wrote:

Le Orme because they don't have an Emerson for an egomaniac. No 10000000000 km/minute keyboard solos, thanks.

Le Orme could actually write music.

while I love the sentiment....  lets not diss ELP here..  ELP could write some fantastic music.  It was different from Le Orme... different cultures, diifferent 'scenes', different audiences, different  personalities.. everything.
Negru Voda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 15:15
I know, I know, you're right. It's that sometimes it feels as if Keith makes the music just for the sake of showing off his (undisputable) playing talent. :shrug:
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 21:49
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

That's an easy one. ELP can't compare to Le Orme!  Mostly because I've only heard one or two ELP tunes vs the entire Le Orme collection.Big%20smile

I can now compare. I have been listening  to ELP & come to the same conclusion (see above)Big%20smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 15:36
Well, maybe we are just disappointed and bitter that ELP since Brain Salad Surgery has not made albums of such striking beauty, innovation, instead proposing never-ending tours with Keith repeating old tricks and performances with Greg growing fatter and fatter and the wheel of reunions and split-ups, albums made for cash and so on whilst Le Orme has been normal, working band, which from the greatest italian band of the 70s most successfully stood the trial of time
yet you still have time!
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 15:43
Le Orme, because i simple like them more, and i listen to them more than ELP....

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 17:25

a real fact  Le Orme was influenced in the 70's by ELP and Genesis, but because Elp stop making good record many moons ago I will go for Le Orme

the last 2 albums are brilliants and breath taking. on the ohter hand of ELP I don't know  what that hell they doing!!! and Greg can't sings as beautiful as he used to which forced to stop listening to elp in the 90's.
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
YesGoblin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 16:31
they are too different types of bands so to compare them is kind of difficult
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 18:48

Le Orme ahead of the mighty ELP? I'm quite surprised by this...

I added another one for Le Orme, they win easily for me...even as much as I like ELP, they couldn't write songs the way Taglapietra & Pagliuca could, and they're ballads were always so much more sincere.  I strongly disagree that ELP were the main inspiration - the melodies are too "easy" and welcoming, more in a PFM/Genesis vein...it's just that there's no e guitar; Le Orme also tended to be a bit spacey at times, you can hear holdovers from the psychadelic era (especially on the second side of Uomo di Pezza).

Edited by jimmy_row - December 12 2007 at 18:49
Signature Writers Guild on strike
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 18:54
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

Le Orme ahead of the mighty ELP? I'm quite surprised by this...

I added another one for Le Orme, they win easily for me...even as much as I like ELP, they couldn't write songs the way Taglapietra & Pagliuca could, and they're ballads were always so much more sincere.  I strongly disagree that ELP were the main inspiration - the melodies are too "easy" and welcoming, more in a PFM/Genesis vein...it's just that there's no e guitar; Le Orme also tended to be a bit spacey at times, you can hear holdovers from the psychadelic era (especially on the second side of Uomo di Pezza).

hahhaha.. oh I'm not surprised...  if Benny the Bouncer was in Italian....LOL

people just don't dig the ELP, even here of all places....  maybe an ELP vs Jacko poll might be a good one hahah.

jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 22:26
haha, Jacko still might give 'em a run...maybe ELP vs. Dream Theater, I'm sure we'd have some casualties along the way.Nuke

The point about language is interesting though - for example, I'd probably like Still, You Turn Me On better if it was in Italian...with Le Orme I don't have to stomach atrocities like the infamous "get me a ladder..." line or anything about computers and armadillos taking over the planet.  As for Le Orme, I can be pretty sure the words were better matched to the quality music: I've seen several translations and our Italian friends reassure me that Aldo was one of the best lyricists on the scene back in the day.
Signature Writers Guild on strike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>