Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNot prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 06:59
Well argued Cerif1ed. Firstly, "Am I Evil" was an eye opener to many NWOBHM kids and I'll give ém their dues, they kicked ass technically, but so did Iron Maiden in their own way. From a HM point of veiw they were both "progressive" in so far as they explored new horizons within their genre. BUT..... if Diamond Head are "Prog", then so are Weather Report, the Beatles, Radiohead, Conflict, etc. etc. for the same reason.

Edited by raggy
Now is tomorrow afternoon
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 07:36

Not sure about Weather Report or Conflict - never listened to 'em.

Radiohead is a definite possibilty - why aren't they prog? They explore new territories all the time - never sitting still. OK Computer was a masterpiece - a fine balance of commercial appeal combined with stunning experimentation. The track Paranoid Android is a 7-minute epic with several forms - and breakdowns of those forms. Going back to "Pablo Honey" and "The Bends", there are some sublime moments of progressiveness - particularly "The Bends".

The Beatles I do not think can be considered a prog band, as such, any more than the Stones, as that was not their main thrust. Mostly they concentrated on writing cutting edge pop songs - although on the albums, there is a lot of inpsired experimentation. Even the Stones experimented - witness "Their Satanic Majesties Request".

"...Borrowed Time" is a prog album, IMO, as much as any by the likes of Saga, Savatage, etc - but not Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden wrote some long Heavy Metal pieces with aspirations to prog, but stayed within the confines of the genre. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", for example can be considered prog, but the album "Piece of Mind", while superb, is not a progressive album per se. "Hallowed be Thy Name" is progressive, whille "Run To The Hills" and the title track of "Number of the Beast" are blatant HM "pop" songs.

OK, you might say, what about "Kayleigh"?

If you've ever heard the magnificent 1984 Hammersmith Odeon Concert, it's much easier to hear how Kayleigh fits into the concept. In the light of its saturation on FM airplay, it's much harder. It's all about context, I think.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 09:46
Originally posted by raggy raggy wrote:

The Enid, back in the day, (pre 1987) were the best (live) prog band around.

BTW, did you listen to one of their last opus called "White goddess", I think it's a beautifully written album, blending classical music (sarabande, gavotte, chaconne, gigue) with prog-rock music (fantasy, riguardon...). They remain one of the few classical-prog bands (yes, I mean "classical" and not "symphonic", refering to their classical influences as quoted above) not to head away from their classical roots (as is not the case with ELP : "Dark moon" is such a crap, Wakeman and so on).

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
raggy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 12:10
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by raggy raggy wrote:

The Enid, back in the day, (pre 1987) were the best (live) prog band around.

BTW, did you listen to one of their last opus called "White goddess", I think it's a beautifully written album, blending classical music (sarabande, gavotte, chaconne, gigue) with prog-rock music (fantasy, riguardon...). They remain one of the few classical-prog bands (yes, I mean "classical" and not "symphonic", refering to their classical influences as quoted above) not to head away from their classical roots (as is not the case with ELP : "Dark moon" is such a crap, Wakeman and so on).

As a former member of The Stand, and dedicated fan having first seen them at Reading Rock fest in 83, aged 16, ("Something Wicked This Way Comes" make or break tour) I followed RJG and Steve Stewart's carreers, even staying over at their home in Suffolk after gigs. Being an Enid fan was like being a part of a familly. "Members, one of another" was the Stands motto.

It all went desperately wrong around 88/89. RJG told me that things had been said between him and Steve that couldn't be unsaid and the two had decided to go their seperate ways, (bit of a lovers tiff if you ask me.)

Anyway, I got disillusioned and lost touch. I know they tried their hands at dance crossover when the wolf was at the door with disastrous results. I don't Know what they sound like these days but it was truelly incredible to experience their live shows in that period.

Now is tomorrow afternoon
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 01:50

I agree with Certif1ied re Budgie (although they were going in the 1970's, and are not the "1980s variety", if you were applying that to Budgie, Cert.). And some of their albums have covers by Roger Dean! (OK, OK, I know so did Osibisa!) The cover of Squawk is such a good visual link to the music, in my opinion.

I have to have have my fix of 'In For The Kill' every now and then.

Which reminds me of my time in digs in London in the 1970s. One day a Japanese student arrived, and he couldn't speak a word of English. Well, actually he could speak three words: "coffee shop" and "rock". I put the LP 'In For The Kill' on the platter and a pair of headphones on the guy's head; you should have seen the grin on his face when the first track kicked in.

Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 02:11

And while we're at it, I have always felt that Black Sabbath's album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has a prog feel to it, especially with Rick Wakeman guesting on piano and synth. It's the only Black Sabbath album I like/own. All the tracks are good, but I especially like Spiral Architect.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 02:41
I've always considered Radiohead prog.  Paranoid Android, for example, is an extremely progressive track.  The whole Kid A album certainly has a prog feel to it as well.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 04:39
I've heard somewhere that Stereolab, sonic youth and radiohead were influenced by the old german prog minimal rock made by NEU! Honestly I can't hear that in their music...Radiohead has just mucky incompetences in term of progressive feelings
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2004 at 17:26

What about Remy Zero or Elbow? Any of you familiar with these guys? There is a background instrumentation, not unlike the Church and Radiohead. Swells and ambient flows which suggest the bands has some prog influence. The Elbow singer is not unlike Peter Gabriel and I heard he (PG) discovered them?

Treble

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2004 at 03:30

Perhaps this great site should consider a name change, to QUALITYMUSIC ARCHIVES.

Edited by Velvetclown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12