^        ^

(((        I        )))

The fact is, no matter how
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 09:15
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

You need to hear Volume One and Volume Two.  I assure you that there is no shortage of nonsense humor. 

This is absolutely true. I love the sublime VOLUME TWO especially because of its dadaist humor!
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 17:49
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I'd also like to mention a band that Dylan probably forgot - Khan, featuring Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart. Their only album, Space Shanty, is quite superb (though, unfortunately,  it hasn't yet been re-released in CD format).

You sure about that? I could have sworn I saw it in J&R in New York last time I was there...I'll have to check it out again sometime.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 17:54
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I'd also like to mention a band that Dylan probably forgot - Khan, featuring Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart. Their only album, Space Shanty, is quite superb (though, unfortunately,  it hasn't yet been re-released in CD format).

You sure about that? I could have sworn I saw it in J&R in New York last time I was there...I'll have to check it out again sometime.

you probably did... in case you didn't not see it later after her post.... I guess it has been re-released in CD format.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:42
Ah yes, sorry I missed your post ClassicRocker. Really gotta start reading all the way through threads...

Anyway great list. I recently got Cos - Viva Boma and its fantastic. I also have to recommend Quiet Sun - Mainstream, also listed under Canterbury Scene here.
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:43
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

I also have to recommend Quiet Sun - Mainstream, also listed under Canterbury Scene here.

Also an excellent one. Although, the Canterbury Scene is fairly limited, and I kept the list fairly small as though not to cover the entire subgenre!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:50
Very informative, Dylan, great job.  My recent foray into Canterbury has yielded huge dividends.  Pretty much all I play in the car right now is Gong and Soft Machine (I also do have Caravan "Grey and Pink" which is quite good).  Looking to try and get some Hatfield for Christmas, I'd also like to grab that Khan album because Hillage is awesome, some Robert Wyatt, and probably National Health.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:54
Pat... you will love this... trust me. 

I think it is better than In the Land of Grey and Pink.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:55
and can't go wrong with Hatfield and the North.. I love the first.. and Raff loves the second LOL
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:58
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

It's on the list to be sure...right now "In the Land of Grey and Pink" is growing on me a little, but as of now I sort of put it at a 3.5 star level....it's a quality album, but when placed against masterpieces like Gong's "You" and Soft Machine's "Third"....just doesn't seem to occupy that tier.  I only mention it because I've often seen the album praised as a masterpiece of the genre.
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:59

After repeated listenings this week, I'm inclined to agree.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 23:05
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

It's on the list to be sure...right now "In the Land of Grey and Pink" is growing on me a little, but as of now I sort of put it at a 3.5 star level....it's a quality album, but when placed against masterpieces like Gong's "You" and Soft Machine's "Third"....just doesn't seem to occupy that tier.  I only mention it because I've often seen the album praised as a masterpiece of the genre.

I much prefer that Caravan album to 'Grey and Pink'.   I think you may  as well Clap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 23:09
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

After repeated listenings this week, I'm inclined to agree.

it just hit me like a ton of bricks on the first listen....  even now....I'll be at work or something and 'For Richard' will come into my mind from nowhere and I'll be playing that in my mind for the rest of the day.  I  think it is a better piece of music than NIne Feet Underground.  Though.. that's just me. 

Edited by micky - December 18 2007 at 23:09
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 20:36

I want to ask for it for Christmas but... the title.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 22:37
Oh, btw, what a scam! I just got the self-titled National Health album off iTunes for $3.99! Of Cures and Queues is only $5.99, I'll probably grab that next.

Oo, and Soft Machine's Third is $3.99 as well. iTunes, you screw-ups!

Edited by King Crimson776 - December 19 2007 at 22:38
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 11:28

and can't go wrong with Hatfield and the North.. I love the first.. and Raff loves the second LOL

I have to dissagree with you 2 times here, The first Hatfield album is great but the second is a masterpice, same with Caravan "do it all over you" is a realy good album but "Grey and pink" is a masterpice imo. Smile Sry but your wife > you, in musical taste atleast. Wink

EDIT: Ohh.. and great Canterbury guid/list Chameleon! I got albums by the big bands Caravan, Soft machine, Hatfield and the north and Gong my next investigations will be The Egg and National health your descriptions of them made me very excited to get some albums by em very soon. Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Zargus - December 23 2007 at 11:34
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 08:09
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

I have to dissagree with you 2 times here, The first Hatfield album is great but the second is a masterpice, same with Caravan "do it all over you" is a realy good album but "Grey and pink" is a masterpice imo. Smile Sry but your wife > you, in musical taste atleast. Wink

LOL  hahahhah.. you are wise beyond your years... the wife is the brains ...the talent.. and the taste between the two of us...I'm just the big mouth hahhaha
Chunga's Moustache View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 10:01
While I recognize that many people prefer Softs Machine Thirds, I myself enjoy Volumes 1 & 2.  I would also say that from the description of Canterbury that you give, Volumes 1 & 2 are more representative of the sub genre.  Along the same lines, I find Matching Mole's first album to be more Canterbury-y (if that means anything).

I would also give some love to Robert Wyatt and Kevin Ayers' solo work.  Kevin Ayers's Joy of a Toy is a great place to start.
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 12:58

Ok, on my trip to Maui for the past ten days, I took it upon myself to indulge in copious amounts of Canterbury. While much of it was bands already covered on these pages, one band in particular stuck out. And when I say stuck out, I mean blew my mind.

They've already been mentioned, but here they are anyway:

KHAN

From the opening notes of Space Shanty, it might not seem as though you're listening to the eponymous debut album of Canterbury superstars. You could be listening to Sabbath or Deep Purple for all the intro shows you! Don't be fooled. This is heavy, jazzy, bluesy Canterbury at its finest. For one thing, Steve Hillage is on guitar. If that's not enough for you, you've also got Dave Stewart on keys. Do you even care who the other guys are? Most of the songs on their lone album are composed by Hillage, and the interplay between him and Stewart really shines here. Long solos are prevalent (but welcome). This may not be the most... Canterbury of the bands I've listed, but they've got quite enough of it. Khan could serve as an excellent bridge into the more explicitly mental stuff like National Health. Anyone interested is highly recommended to pick up Space Shanty.

Recommended Album: While the choice is overwhelming, I'm gonna have to go with Space Shanty.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 16:21
This is a great blogg to pick up a few ideas for the next album to obtain.
Noticed Henry Cow is not listed under Canterbury in Prog Archives genre's.They certainly have the sound in their more straight  forward pieces.Perhaps a bit too far out musically?
what's your oppinion on this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>