Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHey Folks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 22:53
Sieges Even and Arena are on my "to try" list when I can get a hold of them. Never heard of redemption or nightengale, but I will look into them. I own De-Loused by The Mars Volta, but I have yet to really give it a good listen.

A band I've always heard alot about but never been able to really like from 30 second samples is Radiohead. What album would you recommend as a good starting point for them?

Thanks!
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 22:59
The best album for any beginner would be OK Computer, with In Rainbows being a close second. My personal favorite is Amnesiac but it's probably their most inaccessible. Listen to OK Computer or In Rainbows first and expand from there.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 08:55
De-loused in the Comatorium is a great album, and i love OK Computer as well. It's very moody.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Wowbagger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 13:10
Well, I got OK Computer, and I must say its pretty depressing, but in a good way. I'm gonna start looking into their other releases as well. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 22:04
^ great album. Depressing? Perhaps...prog isn't  all about dancing flowers  and hippy drippy lyrical meanderings.  LOL

Anyhow.... as far as my promise to you.  Check this out...  see what you think.  If the link doesn't work for you let me know.  A nice introduction to something that may change your outlook.. and priorities in prog. It can be an addiction.

Radio shows in MP3

RADIO SHOW
"Who Do You Think You Are?"

Rare and cult songs from 70s, 80s and beyond, prog and psych rock, world, ethnic, punk, new wave, avantgarde, ambient, electro, funk, jazz, reggae. Every week a selection of music connected by genre, historical period and/or place of origin, and a non-musical theme that blends in with the music. Anything ranging from the end of creativity in the postmodern era to the connections between art and politics. Turn on, tune in, drop out.

The theme... Utopia and Rock Progressivo Italiano..

http://www.inveto.net/radioinveto/INVETOITAPROGROCK.mp3

Edited by micky - February 13 2008 at 22:18
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Wowbagger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 02:04
Thanks alot Micky, so far I hear some pretty interesting stuff. Gonna listen a bit more in the morning. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 06:42
I'm pleased you liked it.... there really is a lot of interesting stuff...  you got a smattering of the BIG groups from Italy...  but to be honest... the real gems are the lesser known stuff...  it can be a real addiction.   If you haven't already... go to this page.. and just check out all the samples.

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=28
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Wowbagger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 02:37
I'm not sure if I'm hearing the radio person right or not, but it sounds like the stuff I liked the most was by Premiata Forneria Marconi, but I'm having trouble finding any of their CDs available via any form of digital distribution and none of my local record places had any of the stuff on the top 20 list in stock. Any recommendations as to how I could get it locally, or am I just going to have to resign myself to waiting for shipping?

Oh, I've really been enjoying Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven. Anyone got any similar bands that I might enjoy?

EDIT: Oh, Evans, I bought H to the He Who Am the Only One by Van Der Graaf Generator and I'm having a blast listening to it. Very different kind of music, just enough upbeat tempo stuff to keep me happy and just enough crazy sounds to flip on my brain. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Edited by Wowbagger - February 15 2008 at 02:42
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 06:31
Originally posted by Wowbagger Wowbagger wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm hearing the radio person right or not, but it sounds like the stuff I liked the most was by Premiata Forneria Marconi, but I'm having trouble finding any of their CDs available via any form of digital distribution and none of my local record places had any of the stuff on the top 20 list in stock. Any recommendations as to how I could get it locally, or am I just going to have to resign myself to waiting for shipping?

where do you live?
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 10:33

Oh, I've really been enjoying Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven. Anyone got any similar bands that I might enjoy?

EDIT: Oh, Evans, I bought H to the He Who Am the Only One by Van Der Graaf Generator and I'm having a blast listening to it. Very different kind of music, just enough upbeat tempo stuff to keep me happy and just enough crazy sounds to flip on my brain. Thanks for the recommendation. 
H to He is the one "classic" VDGG album i haven't heard, but i imagine a cross between Pawn Hearts and "the least we can do..". Great band, you won't be disappointed by the rest of their albums either, but Pawn Hearts is a bit more avant-garde and strange than the other ones.

Skinny Fists ia masterpiece, there are tons of good post-rock bands, depending on what specifically you liked about the album. My latest discovery is Bark Psychosis, but they're much earlier post-rock, not so much bombastic, more thoughtful and slow, with vocals.

"A silver mt. zion" has the dark mood of Godspeed, but overall, i think Godspeed is pretty much the best band out there. Be sure to not miss their debut either, "F#A#oo"

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Wowbagger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 04:49
@Micky Redding California, USA. About two and a half hours south of the Oregon border. 

Oh, Evans, I'm gonna try and pick up F#A#oo. I really liked the structure and the classical routes of Skinny Fists.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 08:38

@Micky Redding California, USA. About two and a half hours south of the Oregon border. 

Oh, Evans, I'm gonna try and pick up F#A#oo. I really liked the structure and the classical routes of Skinny Fists.

beautiful area.. I grew up in Oregon.  Your best bet are the online prog dealers.. however if you find a good mom and pop place.. they can and will special order stuff for you.  Got many albums that way from a place where I used to live. Not any more expensive.. just not as convenient as online dealers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12