Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTFTO vs TLLDOB: excess vs excess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Click. Left Button. Do you need more info?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [43.75%]
27 [56.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 05:37
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no comment ...none needed...LOL

this has been done 3 times already Teo.. *wags finger in direction of*

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45683&KW=Lamb

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39747&KW=Lamb

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23026&KW=Lamb

Oh well? I don't particularly care micky. Sometimes logic is a little...absent..here on PA. One of these days maybe I should bribe John Myung to tackle YOU instead of just LabrieWinkLOL

sometimes? hahahha..  yeah I guess you could say that. 

oohhhh... I'd love a crack at Myung...  LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 08:15
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

What's wrong with TFTO??? are we on a prog site here or is it the hillbillies?

''The Revealing Science..'' is as good , as majestic as any other great YESepic, the same goes for ''Ritual''.
''The Remembering'' has very nice moments, but sure could have been shortened, ''The Ancient'' is more of an acquired taste, but at least YES showed they could outside of their comfort zone and be adventurous.
So long live TFTO!!Thumbs%20Up

About ''The lost Lamb....'''  never got into it back then in 74, tried hard many times, recently again with the CD version........No, nope, nada, closed, a hermetic wall between me and the lamb, can't go through and Gabriel vocals REALLY annoys my poor ears! Sorry!

I really like The Lamb, too, but otherwise I agree, so long live TFTO.Big%20smile
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 12:46
I'm in the minority on this one. I love Lamb and for me at times it is not long enough. I wish that I had the sense in my younger days than to have seen Genesis when they toured for Lamb. That is my loss. I only got to see the Philesis version of the band and Peter in his solo glory.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 13:13
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I'm in the minority on this one. I love Lamb and for me at times it is not long enough. I wish that I had the sense in my younger days than to have seen Genesis when they toured for Lamb. That is my loss. I only got to see the Philesis version of the band and Peter in his solo glory.

I always feel that Supper's Ready isn't long enough, that's surely because the very notable divided sections(parts), and it makes the song feel shorter or at least go faster
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 12:51
The more "excessive" for me is Tales, althought I like it very much.
"The Lamb" is a bit less excessive, and my prefered from these two.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 12:54
I got sunshine in my stomach !
omri
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 13:11
As I often say Tales is too much and gets me so far away that's why I love it but The lamb is strong too and very moving
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 13:14
Tales is Yes' finest moment, not "boring" in the least.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 14:02
The Lamb for me...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 16:50
YES issue 80 minutes of stellar prog, stretching their own already vast vision even further, and get criticised for it. I can understand 'music critics' being critical - after all, their job depends on being able to apprehend an album on first listen - but why on earth would prog rock fans use the word 'excess' to describe the album? Forgive me for being coarse, but it's kind of like a patient asking his doctor to reduce the length of his orgasms. 'I'm having too much fun, doc. Can you knock it back a bit?'

Funny thing, 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' being blamed in some quarters for the decline of prog. Collins-era GENESIS get blamed for the same thing. 'Tales' is more complex, 'A Trick of the Tail' is less. So what was it? Did we get too complex or too simple? Or was it neither? (Having 'tail/tale in the title, perhaps?)

I vote we stop listening to the critics and start listening to the music.

Edited by russellk - August 03 2008 at 16:52
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 16:57

I know this may shock and disturb you, but not all prog fans like Yes! And that doesn't make them hillbillies!
if you own a sodastream i hate you
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 17:03
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I know this may shock and disturb you, but not all prog fans like Yes! And that doesn't make them hillbillies!

I take your point, but I don't know that it has anything to do with 'like' or 'dislike'. I rather think people can tell if something is excessive or not regardless of whether they like it. Unless, of course, we simply consider 'more of what we don't like' as excessive.

Edited by russellk - August 03 2008 at 17:03
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 17:15
To amplify this thought, I'm imagining a pie-eating contest. Someone wolfs down 30 pies in a minute and everyone applauds. Then another contestant eats 40 pies and the crowd shriek 'that's excessive!'

I don't like 'Lamb', but that's because I find it disjointed, sacrificing music for the concept. I don't consider it excessive, just poor. I sometimes wonder how any prog album - the musical equivalent of a pie-eating contest - could ever be considered excessive by those participating or watching.

Edited by russellk - August 03 2008 at 17:16
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:10
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

I take your point, but I don't know that it has anything to do with 'like' or 'dislike'. I rather think people can tell if something is excessive or not regardless of whether they like it. Unless, of course, we simply consider 'more of what we don't like' as excessive.

Basically, maybe I picked the wrong word... Or maybe not. The thing is, reading your points literally, prog was only about length... So, if we have a good 18 minute song, why don't we prefer a 22? Or, if we have one album with 40 minutes of prog, why don't we prefer double that?

In the end, my point, which can be reflected in the review I just wrote of TFTO, is that both albums are a little "excessive" not because they're long but for actual artistic reasons... Both have obscure concepts (Genesis' at least sounds coherent.. YES' sounds like.... words....), both are IMO too-long... and my biggest complaint about YES' TFTO is that is just plain boring and bad.

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:27

What's wrong with TFTO is that it's a long, meandering, aimless mess of an album that very rarely approaches the level of "listenable." And for the record, I like Yes. A lot.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

Basically, maybe I picked the wrong word... Or maybe not. The thing is, reading your points literally, prog was only about length... So, if we have a good 18 minute song, why don't we prefer a 22? Or, if we have one album with 40 minutes of prog, why don't we prefer double that?

In the end, my point, which can be reflected in the review I just wrote of TFTO, is that both albums are a little "excessive" not because they're long but for actual artistic reasons... Both have obscure concepts (Genesis' at least sounds coherent.. YES' sounds like.... words....), both are IMO too-long... and my biggest complaint about YES' TFTO is that is just plain boring and bad.

If I implied prog was only (or even primarily) about length, I apologise. But length is implicit in most of the criticism of TFTO: things aren't usually boring, for example, if they're short. I'm arguing that things aren't automatically boring if they're long. Like you - and Pnoom! - I think it's about the quality of the music. And You And I differ on that, which I respect.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 22:41
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

What's wrong with TFTO is that it's a long, meandering, aimless mess of an album that very rarely approaches the level of "listenable." And for the record, I like Yes. A lot.

Not as much as I do, apparently.  Wink
Maybe you can apply that to the second track, "The Remembering", but I don't find this to be the case at all with the others.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 03:50

As has been said, there are a few polls like this at the moment. In fact, I posted one of them!!

It's a really tough one, as I think both are brilliant studio albums. I don't find either too long. It's a toss of a coin for me. I vote The Lamb this time, but it could be Tales if I am asked next week, it's that close.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12