FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes to tour with "Understudy" singer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 15:41
Its now official on their website.

I dont see the point in this at all.. It aint Yes!

Its becoming a tribute band..

They should have packed it in.

Hopefully they will not overcharge the fans on this as it wont be fair.
The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 16:49
I wouldn`t even go to see them with Anderson.  They`re just one band that`s had their day. Their newer stuff doesn`t cut and we`ve heard their old stuff too many times. Roundabout anyone? I might go see them in a small club for fun.
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2008 at 07:17
The singer is good, he has that color, but that's enough.  Which is too little for me. I'm quite disappointed by this approach... I'd like to see Circa for example instead this quasi tribute band.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2008 at 10:17
I've got my doubts about this whole understudy thing (and besides, I haven't seen Yes live since 1977) but thanks to the YouTube link you provided, entity79, I found a whole lot of fascinating clips of the original GOING FOR THE ONE studio rehearsals! I never knew all that stuff was out there. Images are rather grainy, but it's riveting!
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 17:51
I'm a diehard, so I'll go, but you could make a good case either way.

Now we know what the career path is for American Idol contestants who don't land a record contract...just replace the aging original. Create a cyborg.
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 19:36
Originally posted by AmericanKhatru AmericanKhatru wrote:

Have you heard this guy sing? I believe he's more than capable of matching Jon's tones. Stage presence, eh, we'll see but I'm psyched. It's still Yes.

I agree. I thought it was a terrible idea (maybe an Onion joke) when I first read that Yes will tour with an Anderson clone....but now that I've heard him (and his band), I think it may be pretty damn cool. The guy DOES sound ridiculously similar to Anderson. What a find. Is this a gift from the Gods?
Prog fan since 1974.
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 20:17
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I wouldn`t even go to see them with Anderson.  They`re just one band that`s had their day. Their newer stuff doesn`t cut and we`ve heard their old stuff too many times. Roundabout anyone? I might go see them in a small club for fun.

I agree with you about Roundabout. No need to hear that one again live. Nor Siberian Khatru, And You And I, Starship Trooper or CTTE. There really is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

I would love for them to play Parallels, Awaken, South Side of the Sky, Yours Is No Disgrace, A Venture, Perpetual Change, Release Release, On The Silent Wings of Freedom, and Gates of Delirium.
Prog fan since 1974.
Joe Rockhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 21:53
You've got to be kidding. There is only one singer for Yes. PLease say this is a joke ! Trevor Horn didn't sing for YES. He sang for Drama. The album was called "Yes" It's like Paul Rodgers and Queen. Give it up !!!
J Rockhead
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 14:32
Originally posted by Joe Rockhead Joe Rockhead wrote:

You've got to be kidding. There is only one singer for Yes. PLease say this is a joke ! Trevor Horn didn't sing for YES. He sang for Drama. The album was called "Yes" It's like Paul Rodgers and Queen. Give it up !!!

Er, any problem in truth in advertising ? Paul Rodgers AND Queen. Kinda says it all.
AS for replacement singers, well, anyone want to comment on why John Wetton, Adrian Belew are not considered lesser King Crimson vocalists than Greg Lake ?
I like Drama, and it is no secret that the labels clearly said "if you're not Yes, then you don't get support from us". The line-up was clearly stated from the start, so there were no surprises that Jon was not the singer on that album, just the same as we all knew that Steve Howe was not the guitarist on 90125, and that Trevor Rabin was the main songwriter. Jon & Chris were comfortable calling that project Yes.
And if one is going to be adamant that a change in line-up requires a name change, consider this - Genesis ... should they have changed the name when Phil Collins took over as drummer ? How about when Steve Hackett came in as guitarist ? Would Robert Fripp have run out of band monikers by now if that was the case ? Was Gentle Giant really Gentle Giant once Phil left, or when Weathers sat behind the drum kit ? Were the Stones still Stones after Brian Jones' death ?
Indeed, do most fans mind ? No ! Unless the new music is not to their liking. Then all hate breaks loose.
The solution ? Get over it !
So Yes has a new singer. One that can sing and whose voice suits the music . Who else in the group has been or played an important role in their history ? Wait, let's see ... Steve Howe ... hmm ... played guitar on some of their albums, wrote or co-wrote some of their tunes ... Chris Squire ... errrr ... I believe had s been the bassist from day one and some consider him a "main" member ... important ... I wonder ... Alan White ... wait .. he's the guy who booted Ringo Starr out on the Beatles debut single right (I don't think so TIm)
Are we missing anyone - Wakeman, Kaye, Moraz ? Which one should it be ? Is should the wrong word or should it be " preferably " or " my preference" ?
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 14:38

Ooh.  We are of like mind Mr. Debrewguy.  That sounds eerily like one of my rants in response to people complaining about band names after personnel changes.  Aside from this comment, I will sit this one out.

Joe Rockhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 18:36
Guess you can't tell the difference between sugar and aspartame. When Phil Collins decided to make Duke he should have then let the name Genesis go. You need something better to do with your time. You can't replace "Jon"  Sounds like they need money. And YES I've supported them well. Too well.
J Rockhead
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 07:08

Why argue about it beforehand? Wait and hear the result. Could go both ways, so I'll be watching and listening, and I'm quite optimistic.

Drama shows that YES doesn't necessarily need Jon Anderson to be good, just as Union showed that YES doesn't need YES to be bad. Figure that one out! LOL
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 10:16

It would be strange a "40th year Anniversary Tour" without one of the founding members, but the have name it to In the Present tour.

It's probably about getting some cash, but I would see them nevertheless.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 14:42
Seems Jon Anderson is a bit miffed:

"Disappointed, and very Disrespected

Disappointed that, with the exception of one phone call from Alan, none of the guys have been in touch since my illness, just to find out how I am doing, and how we will foresee the future for YES. And disappointed that they were not willing to wait till 2009 when I’m fully recovered.

And I feel very disrespected, having spent most of this year creating songs and constant ideas for the band, spending time with Roger Dean creating a stage design, also working with VH1 and Sirius and XM Radio to help promote the welfare of YES.

Getting sick was not "on my radar”, and I thank my own angel Janeee and my family for helping me through this difficult time, and the many well wishers, friends and fans alike, for understanding that ''things happen''.

Of course I wish the guys all the best in their 'solo' work, but I just wish this could have been done in a more gentlemanly fashion. After all YES is a precious musical band.

This is not YES on tour...

I send best wishes to one and all, Jon"

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 14:51
I would be too. That was a poor move by Yes.

"Oh, you're not well? Thanks for the help, but we're going to skip using you"

Although it would be nice to hear the other side of the story.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 15:02
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Yes- how many members can be substituted with other people before Yes is no longer Yes, but a Yes cover band?

That could actually be pretty cool. We already have Oliver Wakeman and Canadian Jon Anderson.Perhaps Steve Howe's son could take his place (so Steve could focus on his commitments to Asia), and one of Alan White's kids could replace him (after he rejoins the Plastic Ono Band). Chris Squire would remain as a mentor to the younger members of the band. They could call it "Yes: The Next Generation".

Then they could do a few spinoff bands as well...like "Yes:  Deep Space Nine" with a black lead singer, and "Yes: Voyager" with a female lead singer.  And of course, "Yes: Enterprise" with Scott Bakula as lead singer.  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 15:39
Starship Enterprise Troopers indeed!LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 15:41
And Close to the Edge of Romulan Space.
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 15:49
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Alan White ... wait .. he's the guy who booted Ringo Starr out on the Beatles debut single right (I don't think so TIm)

That's a joke, right? You think Andy White is the same guy as Alan White?
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 16:01
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

I would be too. That was a poor move by Yes.

"Oh, you're not well? Thanks for the help, but we're going to skip using you"

Although it would be nice to hear the other side of the story.

That is interesting because I thought that I had read that they were doing this with Jon's blessing, but it appears that this is not the case from what has been posted today.  With Jon's blessing, I was sceptical but OK with it; without Jon's blessing, this is plain wrong.  But I like looking at carwrecks too, so if they come I will probably go, as long as the price is right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>