Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10 Point Review System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:50
Originally posted by Lucent Lucent wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Lucent Lucent wrote:

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

If the OP would like to buy the site off the owner and implement it himself, sure thing.
But come on, you've been a member since September 2007, you know this has been suggested again and again and again.
It's a dead horse that's been beaten for way too long, I think by now people would have figured it out it's not going to happen and if by some miracle it does, not in the near future.
I agree that the 10 point system can come in handy, but you've got more choice of getting hit by a bus than having this implemented.

I don't lurk here due to my disgust with the general prog community, so I wouldn't know.  I just look here to get news, despite this place being about as fair and balanced as Faux News.

This site is extremely fair to those willing to participate with good will and a little effort.  Ridiculously fair some might say, we have endless debates here where everyone speaks their mind before the Admin makes a decision.   That is democracy in action. 

You come here and contribute nothing but whining and name-calling, then complain that the community is unfair and that you hate us.  

An overexaggeration.  I tap progarchives lightly on the shoulder and you consider it an assault charge.

The post was to state that I didn't lurk much due to a certain reason.  Stop being a hypocrite and derailing my thread.

Don't even know where to begin...so I won't.  I'll let you get back to your constructive activities now......

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 12:01
Progfreak being a companion site in some ways makes this un-necessary, though I like the idea in general. I also think that having to make a decision is good.

As many have said, the rating is a great entry point while you're trolling for new albums to try. Then once you've narrowed it, you read some reviews and you get a great idea. Often one person criticizes an element than another praises, but they both agree on its presence on the album.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 12:48
Why not just implement half stars. Then you still have 10 possible choices for new reviews without really borking the old ones.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 13:20
I prefer the 5 star system in place.  It forces me to think more critically about the music in order to assign a rating to it, which in turn, I think, makes my reviews a little better.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 13:29
It's an absolute certainty, and I would be willing to wager a lot of money on this, that if the site moved to a 10 star system, someone, fairly quickly, would award an album 8.5 stars because they thought the album was in between the twoLOL

The points made re averaging out are well made, and I also agree with Epignosis. There are reviewers and members/collaborators on this site who I trust to make a sound judgement. Actually, he is one of themClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 14:30
I'm confused...when/where does the rounding take place? Isn't traditional scientific rounding used?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 14:39
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I have felt for years now the 10point system would be the best.

Yeppers.

I dislike it when people imply it's a slippery slope or something to up the system to 10 points. Do you really feel an 82/100 album is as different from an 83/100 albums as a 8/10 album is from a 9/10 album. If so then...I really don't know how to respond to that.
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 15:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It's an absolute certainty, and I would be willing to wager a lot of money on this, that if the site moved to a 10 star system, someone, fairly quickly, would award an album 8.5 stars because they thought the album was in between the two

LOL Thumbs Up

Edited by M@X - May 06 2009 at 15:23
Prog On !
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 15:32
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It's an absolute certainty, and I would be willing to wager a lot of money on this, that if the site moved to a 10 star system, someone, fairly quickly, would award an album 8.5 stars because they thought the album was in between the two.

And why would that be a bad thing?
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 15:42
To StyLaZyn:

1. It's endless , 10 pts, then 10pts with 0.5, then 100 , then 99.9 ...
2. Because every time we need to change or adapt the system, we must take into considerationthe 175 000 ratings done with the 5 stars and find a way to updrade them to the new system.

Prog On !
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 15:54
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

To StyLaZyn:

2. Because every time we need to change or adapt the system, we must take into considerationthe 175 000 ratings done with the 5 stars and find a way to updrade them to the new system.

So in other words, you would be allowing people to change their ratings. 
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 15:55
@StyLaZyn: Of course !!!

Edited by M@X - May 06 2009 at 15:56
Prog On !
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 19:58
And next , we'll  be asking for a piece of Pi Cool

You  work with what you got. 5, 10, 20. Like Slarti says - why stop at any given number. Heck, how many numbers after the decimal - " I would give this album 274.2918171932049, but instead I'll round it up to 274.2918171932050 because that second to last note in the flugelhorn solo on track 6 is just mind blowing. "

Or to quote Buzz Lightyear - "To infinity ... and beyond !"Clown
Picky person #1 - "SEBTP is a masterpiece that deserves to outrank all others - therefore, I believe that Infinity plus one is the only score I can give ".
Picky person # 2 - "I disagree, WYWH is better, and I give it infinty plus 2.4."
Normal person (un-numbered) -" I really love Harmonium's Cinq Saisons. I reminds me of my last year of university and a girl I met. Somehow, the music, even at that time, takes me away in a dream".

Which one really gives you anything ?

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 00:25

The reason I want half stars is because there are many albums that I like enough that I don't want to lower their rating from a 4.3, but I don't think I can legitimately give five stars to. I suspect the reason is the same for many of the other proponents, but unfortunately that would soon lead to ratings inflation and the problem would begin again.

But the half stars as a slippery slope argument is kind of silly.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 00:28
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

A " I would give this album 274.2918171932049, but instead I'll round it up to 274.2918171932050 because that second to last note in the flugelhorn solo on track 6 is just mind blowing. "

* spits cookies on to screen *

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 01:01
So many excellent points made against a new system. I feel taking away the ratings completely would lessen the overall ease of access effectiveness PA makes available for glance suggestions. I also think that adding more points to the system would make too much importance be put in ratings, when I do agree that the review itself is much more important than any number. The 5 star system forces you to fight harder to arrive at a decision, and perhaps ensures more quality reviews in all. I feel it gives weight to the glance suggestion, and doesn't devolve into streams of covertly meaningless numbers. Not that I have added much, but I felt like wasting time offering my opinion.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 01:40
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't have time to read through endless reviews to determine what I think I might like to purchase next.

The ratings give me an "at a glance" idea of what many people think is an excellent album, and I can read the reviews for more information.

Additionally, there are certain people whose opinions I really look for (ClemofNazareth is one of them); if I see he rates an album 1 or 2 stars, I immediately want to know what he didn't like, and vice versa for high ratings.

I totally agree with you, Robert. that's exactly how it works with me. Once you get to know certain reviewers that have more or less the same taste as you, not only the reviews but also the ratings are very significant.
And as I also said in another thread: leaving the ratings completely out is a very bad idea because you can't  start to read all 200.000 reviews here to find a good album. The ratings are a starting point to give a first impression and then you read the reviews. Also the subgenres are essential in this respect of course !
A day without prog is a wasted day
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 17:59
I've been going through Saga's catalogue as I come across their albums. I felt kind of bad about the ratings I gave on Images & Silent Knight, because it brought down the overall score. But then, if that is the biggest concern, are you trying to rate the album or the standing ?
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 18:22
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

To StyLaZyn:

Hi M@X, I believe you both have a point, so i propose thuis:

1. O.5 implemented in a 5 stars system
  2. This will give the 10 points but at the same time won't affect the ratings of people who has already rated, because there will still be 5 stars as maximum rating and te 1, 2, 3 and 4 stars will always exist.
  3. In my case, I would change a few ratings like the Genesis ones, being that I rated all Gabriel Genesis with 5, but in no way I believe SEBTP is in the same level as Foxtrot.

In this case, those who want to change their ratings can do it, and those who don't want or can, will have no problem, being that it's still a 5 stars system and thei 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 stars will ve as valid as before the change.

And also notify that no more changes will be done in this.

Cheers

Iván 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 22:09
^That's the idea Ivan... Brilliant... I'm all for it... Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>