Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles:Rock Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 15:09
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

I'm not against kids listening to the Beatles!
They will listen to Beatles because they are in a video game, and not because... whatever...
The point is that i don't like it Embarrassed

Don't worry, I know what you meant. Wink

I hate Guitar Hero, Rock Band, all that stuff. I think it's lame. If kinds want to play an instrument, they need to really learn to play, not play at being something they aren't. That just keeps them in the attitude of 'the dreamer', and not an attitude that pushes them forward.

Now . . . having said that, it's just my own personal opinion, and I know a lot of guys like the idea of a game such as this, because they think it will motivate more kids to actually pick up a real guitar. Personally, I think it's going to have the opposite effect, but whatever. The point is, it's here, it's not going away anytime soon, and if making a Beatles game out of it is what it takes to bring even more kids into our world, then by God, I'm going to  jump for joy over it, no matter how against the concept itself I may be.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 19:04
I've said it before, I'll say it again, but I'm an old fart.  For the price of one of these games/guitars, a person could buy an actual real guitar -- you know, the kind with stings instead of buttons -- and possibly learn to play it a bit.  It's not that hard to learn to play Louie Louie or Gloria.  And then from there maybe learn another song or two.  And then, once the glitter of the game fades, they have the real game, which will provide challenges far beyond yer average video game, for life.  Yeah, it takes a bit more work. 

Weird analogy:  when I was 13-14 years old, my friends and I had no video games.  We did have instruments and amps however, and we'd spend hours playing crappy though seminal songs in our garages.  I suppose it was a similar time-sink.  On the other hand, 40 years later I can always plug in the guitar or power up the keyboard and play a ton of music, fingers feeling the strings and frets, or navigating all those odd-shaped keys of any keyboard (only the black ones are uniform in spatial dimension).     
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 19:42
^ Trust me, I'm still a kid and I agree with you 100%. Personally, I think these kinds of games are playing on people's lack of motivation to go and accomplish something 'for real', and we have all daydreamed of being a rock star at one point or another, so from a marketing standpoint, it makes total sense.

But then again, pressing buttons on a toy guitar doesn't pay the bills or give you much real sense of accomplishment, does it?
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 19:58
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

They will listen to Beatles because they are in a video game, and not because... whatever...

Don't worry, I know what you meant. Wink

I hate Guitar Hero, Rock Band, all that stuff. I think it's lame. If kinds want to play an instrument, they need to really learn to play, not play at being something they aren't. That just keeps them in the attitude of 'the dreamer', and not an attitude that pushes them forward.

Now . . . having said that, it's just my own personal opinion, and I know a lot of guys like the idea of a game such as this, because they think it will motivate more kids to actually pick up a real guitar. Personally, I think it's going to have the opposite effect, but whatever. The point is, it's here, it's not going away anytime soon, and if making a Beatles game out of it is what it takes to bring even more kids into our world, then by God, I'm going to  jump for joy over it, no matter how against the concept itself I may be.
Very good point and I couldn't agree more. I'm not really keen on Rock Band/Guitar Hero, but if it exposes younger people to the group then I'm all for it. Hopefully they go out and buy the albums instead of stealing the music...that is my only qualm, especially with my generation's respect for musical artists
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 19:59

^ Trust me, I'm still a kid and I agree with you 100%. Personally, I think these kinds of games are playing on people's lack of motivation to go and accomplish something 'for real', and we have all daydreamed of being a rock star at one point or another, so from a marketing standpoint, it makes total sense.

But then again, pressing buttons on a toy guitar doesn't pay the bills or give you much real sense of accomplishment, does it?

I agree, it seems so much more productive if you learn to play an actual instrument, at least then you can learn new songs or make your own when you get tired of the playing the same ones. I have always hated the mindless button pressing that you have to do on some songs, where you press the same button over and over and over, it kills my wrist to use the guitar controller.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:02
^Well, also . . . I have played the game before at friends' houses, and I swear, it completely re-programs my brain! I go to pick up my actual Guitar, and forget what I'm doing for a little while!

The logistics between the two are so incredibly different, that I'm afraid to play it myself anymore. No kid could graduate to actual musical instruments from that. The whole 'feel' is nothing alike.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:22

I'm not going to buy it, but F**K people who are against it because it's "tainting the fanbase" by introducing people to music through a media other than print media (oh no! they'll be mindlessly conforming to a videogame instead of an internet forum and high school clique!) or that it's "selling out".

Basically, you don't have a single logical reason against it? This argument is even worse than your self-made avatars!

But you don't play Guitar Hero because you want to play an instrument! You play it because you want to have fun.

Jammum, since when has a guitar cost $60?

if you own a sodastream i hate you
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:41
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I'm not going to buy it, but F**K people who are against it because it's "tainting the fanbase" by introducing people to music through a media other than print media (oh no! they'll be mindlessly conforming to a videogame instead of an internet forum and high school clique!) or that it's "selling out".

Basically, you don't have a single logical reason against it? This argument is even worse than your self-made avatars!

But you don't play Guitar Hero because you want to play an instrument! You play it because you want to have fun.

. . . you weren't hugged much as a child, were you? Tongue

Look, I'm all for having fun. I'm actually a huge gamer! I love playing videogames, but not when they claim to have anything in common with what they are simulating. I have heard many people say how they think Guitar Hero and Rock Band will inspire kids to play the real instruments. To me, that is ludicrous, and i agree with you, that SHOULDN"T be a reason to play those games, but many people seem to think that it IS.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:50

The game is $60.   Sorry out of the loop, my kids are no longer kids.  What's the controller (guitar) cost?  Assuming you have the game platform, which yes we have a few of those around the house.  But you can get a decent enough Strat copy for around $200.  My original point being, you can play a game that will provide a few hundred hours of enjoyment, or potentially learn a skill that will provide a lifetime of same.

Edited by jammun - September 03 2009 at 20:52
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:56
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

The game is $60.   Sorry out of the loop, my kids are no longer kids.  What's the controller (guitar) cost?  Assuming you have the game platform, which yes we have a few of those around the house.  But you can get a decent enough Strat copy for around $200.  My original point being, you can play a game that will provide a few hundred hours of enjoyment, or potentially learn a skill that will provide a lifetime of same.

Don't worry, Jammun. Plainview's just in one of his moods. Wink Your point makes plenty of sense from where i am standing, if that's any comfort to you at all. Hug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 20:59

GH 3 is a little out of date but it's only $50 for everything. The new one is $100, which is closer to the cost of a low end acoustic.

You can, but you're making a false comparison. Playing the game and playing a guitar are two completely different things that are done for completely different reasons. It's a rhythm game to accompany beloved songs, not a guitar simulator. Nobody in the world thinks Guitar Hero has anything to do with real guitar, and in fact, I know someone who started learning how to play bass because of Guitar Hero!

Edited by Henry Plainview - September 03 2009 at 20:59
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:00
uh Rock Band/Guitar Hero is played by both adults and kids of every age.
I have no problem with it and I will probably buy it.
Why? Because I'm a Beatles Fan and the re-mastered tracks sound awesome.
I don't get why people have their panties in a bunch because it is just another way to enjoy music.
I mean, if you guys get pissed at this do you also throw a hissy fit at all the karaoke  machines and bars?

Edited by KoS - September 03 2009 at 21:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:01

Don't worry, Jammun. Plainview's just in one of his moods. Wink
I have to do something to compensate for being a failure. ;-)
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:04

Don't worry, Jammun. Plainview's just in one of his moods. Wink
I have to do something to compensate for being a failure. ;-)

LOL Aww, come now, Harry! You're not a failure to me! Big hugs!!! Hug
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 21:08

Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Don't worry, Jammun. Plainview's just in one of his moods. Wink Your point makes plenty of sense from where i am standing, if that's any comfort to you at all. Hug
Eh, we all get in our moods around here.  I will say this:  if Rock Band Beatles introduces more people to Beatles music, that's all good.  And if Rock Band itself causes a kid or two to actually pick up a guitar, that's all the more good.  As said, I grew up in a different era, where the only video game was hanging out with friends playing Gloria or Just Like Me or some other song from back then, and then getting a gig at the middle school prom, whether we sucked (more than likely) or not (less likely).  Our guitar player had Hey Joe down
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 23:46

^Well, also . . . I have played the game before at friends' houses, and I swear, it completely re-programs my brain! I go to pick up my actual Guitar, and forget what I'm doing for a little while!

The logistics between the two are so incredibly different, that I'm afraid to play it myself anymore. No kid could graduate to actual musical instruments from that. The whole 'feel' is nothing alike.
You're right, but I am a fan of this genre, don't know how. Maybe it's because I don't want to quit something if I'm good at it, and maybe I just like it, I really really don't know.
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 00:47

I know i suck at arguments, but that's still my opinion. Live with it.
And what do you have against my self-made avatars?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 12:30

But you should have a good reason for your opinion!

Your avatar is ok now, but the "psychadelic" ones you made in Paint were ugly and terrible because everything made in Paint is ugly and terrible unless it is ugly and terrible ironically, but I don't think you were being ironic.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 12:57

But you should have a good reason for your opinion!

Your avatar is ok now, but the "psychadelic" ones you made in Paint were ugly and terrible because everything made in Paint is ugly and terrible unless it is ugly and terrible ironically, but I don't think you were being ironic.

Some of them were ugly, yes. But not all of them.
I'm experimenting in paint. My self-made avatars are progressive Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2009 at 13:07
This one's for you Micah.

http://www.xkcd.com/359/

Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>