Topic ClosedRyan Seacrest Makes $15 Million A Year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:02
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

We watch DVDs on our computers. Including some old series.

We eventually (about 5 years in to the process) bought a desktop with a big screen to watch movies.

But I will tell you, if you haven't watched video with commercials for several years, it will disgust you.

Again, just try it. See what happens.

Oh, Ive been only watching Netflix stuff for a couple months now. Haven't watched actual TV programs in a while. I did it the other day, and when the commercials came on; I thought I was extremely turned off by it that I haven't watched TV until today, and it was Netflix anyway. TV commercials in the US are so bad that I'll stop watching TV or go to another room because of them. They're horrible and fake, and make me feel like I live in a dumbass country. And if it's a commercial for some smart-phone or an iPad or something, I want to yell at the people in the commercials and tell them to stop being distracted by all this technology and media and go outside or hang out with friends without looking at your phone for the newest facebook/twitter updates. Not to mention the music in those commercials make me feel like crap because they sound so depressing.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:03
If they evolved from birds, they wouldn't be people. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:14
^They might call themselves people.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Back off, this is my fantasy. Haha

And yea- commercials BRAINWASH children. They teach you that if you don't get certain things, you are going to be unhappy. Children under the age of 7 are not good at determining the difference between advertisements and real life. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK IS CAUSING ALL THIS AUTISM AND ADD? ITS NOT THE FLOURIDE FRIGGIN TEAPARTY IDIOTS. ITS THE COMMERCIALS AND THE CONSTANT STIMULATION THROWN IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN THAT ARE LEFT IN FRONT OF THE TV ALL DAY.

I saw this commercial the other day, and some girl walks up and asks the friend how her and her boyfriend are doing, but the boyfriend died or they broke up or something- And the commercial was aimed at teenagers. "Dont miss out on the latest updates from your friends and be left out." BALHALFBHABKLALF FRIGGIN STUPID.

So suddenly you're a social outcast because you didnt check twitter TEN MINUTES AGO??? What sort of culture are they attempting to create? I hate everything. I'm not even kidding this sort of stuff brings thoughts of suicide because I KNOW I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO STOP IT. I worry about the problems of the world constantly, things I know I will never change. My mind just really really desires to escape all of it.

Wow, I'm really angry. Haha.
How the does everyone see all these issues and problems and not have frantic mental convulsions? Someone teach me to not care.

Edited by Smurph - April 27 2012 at 14:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:30
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^They might call themselves people.

That would be boring. I would think bird-people would have a cooler sounding language. Bird Man always spoke very enthusiastically. I take that as my basis.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:36
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Back off, this is my fantasy. Haha

And yea- commercials BRAINWASH children. They teach you that if you don't get certain things, you are going to be unhappy. Children under the age of 7 are not good at determining the difference between advertisements and real life. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK IS CAUSING ALL THIS AUTISM AND ADD? ITS NOT THE FLOURIDE FRIGGIN TEAPARTY IDIOTS. ITS THE COMMERCIALS AND THE CONSTANT STIMULATION THROWN IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN THAT ARE LEFT IN FRONT OF THE TV ALL DAY.

I saw this commercial the other day, and some girl walks up and asks the friend how her and her boyfriend are doing, but the boyfriend died or they broke up or something- And the commercial was aimed at teenagers. "Dont miss out on the latest updates from your friends and be left out." BALHALFBHABKLALF FRIGGIN STUPID.

So suddenly you're a social outcast because you didnt check twitter TEN MINUTES AGO??? What sort of culture are they attempting to create? I hate everything. I'm not even kidding this sort of stuff brings thoughts of suicide because I KNOW I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO STOP IT. I worry about the problems of the world constantly, things I know I will never change. My mind just really really desires to escape all of it.

Wow, I'm really angry. Haha.
How the does everyone see all these issues and problems and not have frantic mental convulsions? Someone teach me to not care.

I think you might want to back off that autism hypothesis.

And for every advertisement aimed at kids, there's a parent that lets the kid watch it, and then a stupid kid who never realizes this system when they become old enough to recognize it.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:42
Maybe not quite autism, but I'm pretty sure ADD at least is more prevelant because of advertising.

There are countries in Europe that have effectively banned advertisements aimed at children under a certain age. Some children's shows are not allowed to even have advertising during the show. I wonder how much differently their children are growing up? I remember advertisements being a thing that kids paid attention to. Everyone could sing 'that song' from a commercial but had trouble remembering the words for songs in choir.

I feel like it creates an entire different culture.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:45
Until I see some strong evidence that advertising even makes people want a product, I don't really care. I grew up watching plenty of tv shows, but I never wanted to go to an amusement park or have a certain cereal or go to the circus, or have a pair of jeans. Maybe I'm detached from it because of that. But I need to at least see some evidence before my opinion begins to dip. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:47

Maybe not quite autism, but I'm pretty sure ADD at least is more prevelant because of advertising.

There are countries in Europe that have effectively banned advertisements aimed at children under a certain age. Some children's shows are not allowed to even have advertising during the show. I wonder how much differently their children are growing up? I remember advertisements being a thing that kids paid attention to. Everyone could sing 'that song' from a commercial but had trouble remembering the words for songs in choir.

I feel like it creates an entire different culture.

America has something like that too. PBS. But parents let their kids watch the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and any spin-off channels of those that are on Direct TV, Cablevision, etc which all have tons of commercials.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:51

Until I see some strong evidence that advertising even makes people want a product, I don't really care. I grew up watching plenty of tv shows, but I never wanted to go to an amusement park or have a certain cereal or go to the circus, or have a pair of jeans. Maybe I'm detached from it because of that. But I need to at least see some evidence before my opinion begins to dip. 

I guarantee a 6 year old boy sees a commercial for the newest toy that everyone else wants, he's going to want it too.

The thing is, advertising doesn't necessarily make you want the product they are selling right then and there. But over time, especially if you see the same commercial, or similar ones, subconsciously, you're going to want whatever it is, whether it's food, phones, cars, the new Lady Gaga CD, whatever it is that you want. And it's all "want", never "need". The things you "need" to survive in 1st-world countries are not regularly shown in commercials.

We do need some more music commercials on TV, for all genres of music, but that's another topic.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 14:59

I'll put my n=1 against yours. I wanted to go to those amusement parks and eat those cereals when I was a kid.

Advertising works and as evidence I would just say that the capitalists wouldn't waste their money on it if it didn't.

You can't kill anything by holding it down. You have to starve it, or by doing bloody violence to it. Starving is easier.

In other words, just turn off the darn commercials.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 21:05
Yeah, to say that advertising doesn't work is patently false. What's true is that it doesn't work on everybody.
I mean if we look at Justin Bieber, what role does his actual music play in his career. Very little. Not many of his fans would be able to launch an eloquent defence of his musical output in terms of his production, songwriting, performance and lyrics etc. The whole thing is just marketing ploys used to make it seem as though products with his face on it exhibit a magical aura that will make your life more exciting. (One sees the parallell to religion.)

It would actually be fascinating to understand what the difference is between people who are suckers for ads and people who aren't. Being immune to advertising is invariably a good thing and a sign of intelligence.

Advertising is essentially an evil practice as it is literally about making people feel bad. You can't sell products by making people feel like they're good the way they are- you have to make them feel insecure and inadequate so they need to buy what you're selling so they're not lame or missing out.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 21:26
I accumulate approximately $100 every year, so I'm somewhat jealous. I'll be a pop singer someday though, and it'll be sweet. I'll pump money in to this site.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 22:55

I am certainly not defending that evil evil person, because he helps subjegate our children into oversexualization by creating and promiting reality television shows, most of which include horrible behavior by the cast, and this terrible behavior is thought to be normal by someone who has not been exposed culturally yet, like children. When a 13 year old girl sees Kim Kardashian (all their shows are produced by Seacrest), she has NO CLUE that Kim Kard is a terrible terrible, succubus of a human being. Instead, she emulates her behavior. What a bunch of HORRIBLE SCUM RUINING THE MINDS OF OUR YOUTH.

You're totally right about reality TV.  One of my friends just wrote a 20 page paper about humiliation in reality television, and it really opened my eyes as to the way in which TV trains us to enjoy the debasement of fellow human beings.  Producers fabricate embarassing stories and drama with editing, half-truths and bribery, humiliating the contestants and driving some to breakdowns and even suicide.  If you read the waiver you have to sign for the American Idol auditions, you'll see a clause that gives the producers the right to humiliate you, as well as one that gives them the right to reveal any personal information - factual or fictional.  I don't think I'll ever watch one of those shows again (occasionally I see half of an episode).  I don't watch much reality TV (or TV in general) but the things I hear about shows like Toddlers in Tiaras makes me want to barf.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:06
Enjoying the debasement of others has nothing to do with reality TV. That goes back thousands of years. We're instinctually programmed to seize upon things that make us feel superior to others. Reality TV is a just a convenient fuel source for this.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:23
Well, I can say this. At least Ryan is a likeable personality, in my books. He is effective at playing the nice, cool, fashionable host guy.

*ducks*
PyramidMeetsTheEye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:25
15 millions that is alot of numbers 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:26
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I'll put my n=1 against yours. I wanted to go to those amusement parks and eat those cereals when I was a kid.

Advertising works and as evidence I would just say that the capitalists wouldn't waste their money on it if it didn't.

You can't kill anything by holding it down. You have to starve it, or by doing bloody violence to it. Starving is easier.

In other words, just turn off the darn commercials.
"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter ... can you?"

There is no proof that advertising works because the data is unreliable - products sell with and without advertsing and they fail with and without advertising - when the correlations are positive then madison avenue claims a victory, when they are negative they blame the product, or the market, or the recession, though I'm sure some will find reason to blame the ad-men:
(needless to say, Dasani is no longer sold in the UK)

Advertising is like hypnotism - it cannot coerce you into buying something you don't want, it can only influence your decision to buy something you do want ... if there is a free choice of two otherwise equal products that you have heard of (let's say Pepsi and Coca-Cola), advertising will probably not influence the decision - whatever influenced brand-loyalty with the purchaser, it is deep-seated and developed over time - advertising may have started it, but choice of brand was a free one based on experimentation (you tried both, preferred one); whereas if there is free choice between two equal products, only one of which you have heard of, then advertising will probably influence the decision to buy, but if you didn't want either it won't.

People don't buy Pop Idol / Your-country's Got Talent or anyother promoted 'Pop' products just because of the marketting - they buy it because they like it - whether that makes sense to people who would rather listen to 90 minutes of drone is immaterial, they are not going to buy maudlin of the Well or Delusion Squared no matter how heavily they are marketed.
What?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:31
I've never said he's the worst host ever. In fact my targeting someone who's an indifferent host was actually not a smart idea because it implies that if he were hilarious or something then the salary would be justified but that's probably not the case... or is it?

Let's move on from Ryan Seacrest and have a look at Jon Stewart, who I'm sure most people would agree is one of the better hosts in recent television history. Now how much does he make a year? Bet it's a lot less than Seacrest, right?.... Well wrong, Stewart's annual income is.... wait for it.... $15 million.

So given that I think Stewart does a remarkable job, am I less outraged over his salary. Well yes and no. There's less ire because what Stewart does, even though people hate this word, is "edutainment". He exposes people to important things going on in the political world that they would otherwise miss. Yes, it probably would be better for them to go to actual news sources, but it's better they find out from The Daily Show then that they not find out at all. For this reason, Stewart justifies himself better than Seacrest.

However, Stewart still doesn't warrant anything like $15 million a year. Hell a lot of us would probably dream of doing that for $50k, sitting at a desk talking sh*t and mocking politicians. It's still evidence of how we as a society do not action the priorities we say we have.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 04:44
Prog Idol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>