Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAm I reading this correctly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 17:12
What about a vegamite sandwich?  Imagine my surprise to find out that this strange thing mentioned in a Men At Work song was an actual thing. LOL
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 17:35
Is there no equivalent to marmite in the USA?
Help me I'm falling!
lmaorofllollmao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 17:40
Elp is the most overrated prog band on earth. The problem is- THEYRE PRETENTIOUS AS HECK! While they are fine artists, it seems like lots of their songs is just a bunch of randomn playing on the keyboard, and then all the masses go "OMG THATS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY", not even thinking about what they're listening to.

Edited by lmaorofllollmao - October 02 2012 at 17:41
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 17:42
Spoken like a true 13 year old who wasn't around when ELP came into existence.  Bands didn't w**k on their keyboards prior to guys like Keith Emerson.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 17:42
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Not that I am aware of.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 17:46
Yes, you are reading this right. There is nothing wrong with your eyes, mind, or the site. Glad to clear this up.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 17:54
But, seriously, just because you dislike a band or do not think they are worthy of being on the site and/or top 100 list is not relevant if the majority of PA members do. For instance, I dislike Pink Floyd, but that doesn't matter cause the majority of PA members do like Pink Floyd. It's your opinion. You may think it's right, but that doesn't mean it is right.
lmaorofllollmao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 17:58
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Spoken like a true 13 year old who wasn't around when ELP came into existence.  .

I dont understand, you're saying i can't voice my opinion on a band because i'm not from 1970?
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 18:16

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Not that I am aware of.

There is no equivalent. You can buy Marmite and Vegemite in specialty shops, but most of us Yanks find it very strange and generally disgusting. I enjoy it, but only in small quantities.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 18:18
Originally posted by lmaorofllollmao lmaorofllollmao wrote:

Spoken like a true 13 year old who wasn't around when ELP came into existence.  .

I dont understand, you're saying i can't voice my opinion on a band because i'm not from 1970?
No I am saying that your opinion is similar to other children your age who haven't lived enough life to properly form an opinion and yet they feel like they should share their misguided opinions anyways because w**king on a thread is what they do.  And quite frankly it gets quite tiresome after awhile for us old farts.  And that is coming from a relatively young old fart.

Edited by rushfan4 - October 02 2012 at 18:19
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 18:18
Hey, I hate ELP as much as any rational a****le, but I happen to dislike about 84% of the top 100 list at any given point in time. Complaining about one is as practical as complaining about another. That being said - feel free to make your own list. If you're still upset over it, Progarchives offers a host of respectable solutions.

PA survival guide:
Welcome, and thank you for choosing Progressive Rock Archives. The wonderful realm of the Progressive Rock Archives (shortened: ProgArchives (shortened PA (shorted: Puh))) welcomes you Back to the World of Adventure! We have exciting games and entertainment venues. You can truly find out Wot...uh, the deal is. We are a fully interactive web-based community devoted to:
-Spreading disgusting political misinformation
-Pretending that Dream Theater is worth a damn
-collecting every pretentious rock group known to man in one stupendous database which is currently updated and maintained by David Lynch, Thing-Fish, and three blind mice.
-Vainly attempting to define what 'prog' means - with hilarious results! (I think it is a secret code-word invented by the Gestapo to track down runaway Jews in 1943)

Here are some of our healthy guidelines - follow these and you'll be an up-and-coming Light-house Keeper like the rest of us.
Progarchives fully supports blatant dishonesty - one-star those pretentious bands into oblivion! If you actually haven't heard the album - even better, just like Christgau. You get bonus points for writing a review for an album that hasn't been officially released yet.

If your blind virulence has yet to achieve the desired results, Progarchives recommends creating several false duplicate accounts to further besmirch their waning reputations. Make sure you name your second, third, or fifteenth accounts sharply and wittily for our site-wide annual 'spot that duplicate!' contest. Winners will receive a copy of Epignosis' new album and a secret link to illegal torrent sites.

We here appreciate diversity. Try inventing personality quirks to spice up the environment. Some like to make bold claims such as "All music created after 1989 is utter garbage no matter what". Others like to claim that a specific band/artist is terrible, even if they secretly enjoy that group. These characters are lucky, Lucky Men and are beloved site-round. Try developing a catch phrase such as 'Rush sucks!' '3.5 stars really!' or 'Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish'.

In our popular forums section, you may:
-Vote in meaningless polls
-write amateur theses regarding said meaningless polls
-shout "Rush rules!"
-poke fun at Metal Music Archives
-Engage in vehemently cruel debates over Religion, Politics, Music and My Little Pony. No Swearing!

So I personally welcome you to the Promised Land, where all your Geoff Tates are bitter and all your dreams will come true - unless you get banned.

Edited by Alitare - October 02 2012 at 18:22
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 18:24

No I am saying that your opinion is similar to other children your age who haven't lived enough life to properly form an opinion and yet they feel like they should share their misguided opinions anyways because w**king on a thread is what they do.  And quite frankly it gets quite tiresome after awhile for us old farts.  And that is coming from a relatively young old fart.

And his avatar is from Beavis and Butthead. I mean, c'mon, it's like he's not even trying.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 18:29
Come on guys, don't derail this thread twice.

Marmite is far more interesting. Our factory in New Zealand has been out of production for about 6 months. There was a huge story on the news about people stocking up tons of marmite prior to the shortage.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 18:50
Seems pretty obvious that newer releases will usually be graded higher then their 'natural' level as they have fewer total votes and the standard deviation would be smaller. Further affected by less well known bands having a lot of fanboy votes for new releases. Over time the deviation should increase and the rating will settle to a more appropriate level.

Edited by menawati - October 02 2012 at 18:51
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 18:52
Mein Gott, what is going on here? 

Edited by Argonaught - October 02 2012 at 19:12
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 19:07
^ :|
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 19:09
Argonaut, or an admin, mind editing that so it's normal?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 19:31
It's like all the 1's and 0's behind all of our fancy software came out of the woodwork to haunt us.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 19:43

Spoken like a true 13 year old who wasn't around when ELP came into existence.  Bands didn't w**k on their keyboards prior to guys like Keith Emerson.

Set the youngin' straight!!! Ha ha
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 20:03

Elp is the most overrated prog band on earth. The problem is- THEYRE PRETENTIOUS AS HECK! While they are fine artists, it seems like lots of their songs is just a bunch of randomn playing on the keyboard, and then all the masses go "OMG THATS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY", not even thinking about what they're listening to.

lmaorofllollmao, don't take the replies to this post of yours too personal. The first few claims you've made here are very familiar to me, but to say that Emerson was doing a lot of random playing on a keyboard? That's just not right. You have to take into account the fact that Emerson's parents were wealthy enough to afford the classes that their son took, learning about all the technical stuff in theory and in practice. He became capable of synthesizing some serious ideas of classical and jazz music. Technicality can go overboard to the point of sounding random without actually being it.

Bottom line is: Emerson learns, loves, and lives like a progressive thinker, but you probably won't understand that even if you do find yourself deeply engrossed in musical studies.

... and then all the masses go "OMG THATS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY", not even thinking about what they're listening to.

There is nothing one human being cannot handle that another one can ... except the willingness to handle (if you are following me). And I do think about what I listen/am listening.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 02 2012 at 20:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>