Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 46>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 06:30
Still strange, but I'll leave it then. 
I also assume Dean has better things to do.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 06:54
When I investigate reports I don't just look at the ratings list and make a snap judgement. I look for patterns and distributions in the ratings. In this case:

He hasn't rated every album by a band
He has rated over a reasonable cross-section of genres with emphasis on genres he really likes
He hasn't given low ratings to albums that are "competing" for chart position with the albums he likes
He has rated 137 albums since January 2006, that's an average of 21 albums per year.
Nothing there indicates any form of abuse. Sure he's given nothing but 5-star ratings, but that is not a crime.

So the conclusion is: He only rated albums he likes.

What?
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 07:34
K then
sanhedrin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanhedrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 14:10
I would like to report these strange inappropriate ratings .
I guess someone may have seen this already ??
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Life Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 14:28
WOW!  That's a lot of 1 star ratings!

Edited by Second Life Syndrome - July 23 2013 at 14:28
theprogmind.com
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 14:36
I think he just pressed the "random rating" button Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 14:41
WOW! That's a hell of a lot of illegally downloaded (stolen) albumsShocked

Edited by Dean - July 23 2013 at 16:08
What?
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 14:54
Originally posted by sanhedrin sanhedrin wrote:

I would like to report these strange inappropriate ratings .
I guess someone may have seen this already ??
who also filled the Muse-discography(between others) with one-star and five-star ratings.
Horseradish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horseradish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 15:32
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 16:05
For drawing attention to my dyslexia I'm allowing the ratings to stay. Stern Smile
What?
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 01:40
I've seen this topic before discussed here but I would like to lend my thinking as well to the rating system. Unless someone can justify, with a written review, a rating given, I can't see why a rating should be allowed as it allows for abuse. I understand that there are many who are not fluent with the use of the English language and that, for me, is the only reason why rating only, here on PA, should possibly exist. A serious rating should only really count, in my opinion, if a lot of thought has gone into that rating here and if a "rater" is not prepared to put thought into a review then why should it count toward an album's score here or anywhere else. It is way too easy perhaps just to dislike an album for whatever reason, real or imagined, and to just put a score down. Perfection in anything is an ideal that should be the goal of anything - including PA. Unless doors for abuse are shut down abuse will exist - it's the way of things unfortunately. This site is profoundly important to those who love prog rock and to music lovers in general and I would say that a lot of "store" goes into what we say here on PA relating to albums and to artists and we can in fact have a large say relating to sales and acceptance of an artist.
<p>
Just my own thoughts on that matter.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Life Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 16:00
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

I've seen this topic before discussed here but I would like to lend my thinking as well to the rating system. Unless someone can justify, with a written review, a rating given, I can't see why a rating should be allowed as it allows for abuse. I understand that there are many who are not fluent with the use of the English language and that, for me, is the only reason why rating only, here on PA, should possibly exist. A serious rating should only really count, in my opinion, if a lot of thought has gone into that rating here and if a "rater" is not prepared to put thought into a review then why should it count toward an album's score here or anywhere else. It is way too easy perhaps just to dislike an album for whatever reason, real or imagined, and to just put a score down. Perfection in anything is an ideal that should be the goal of anything - including PA. Unless doors for abuse are shut down abuse will exist - it's the way of things unfortunately. This site is profoundly important to those who love prog rock and to music lovers in general and I would say that a lot of "store" goes into what we say here on PA relating to albums and to artists and we can in fact have a large say relating to sales and acceptance of an artist.
<p>
Just my own thoughts on that matter.

I think he's preaching to the choir Big smile
theprogmind.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 15:13
I did some ratings when the quick rating feature came out, and asw it as a means merely to list some of my personal favourite albums.  The way an album ranks is not really important to me.  That said, I'd quite like to see ratings have a 0 weighted value so they don't count towards the average rating score while keeping the ability to make ratings only.

Not everyone enjoys writing reviews even if they could.  Some like to use ratings to show what they like, and/or as a means to make personal lists, and don't care about how it affects the ranking or general rating.  I sometimes like to see members ratings merely to get a better idea of their tastes in music, and if I know that they have similar tastes, then as a means to look into their faves that I haven't heard as I can expect to like those too.  I can think of some personally trusted mostly ratings-only people whose ratings helped me to discover great-for-me music.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Life Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 16:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I did some ratings when the quick rating feature came out, and asw it as a means merely to list some of my personal favourite albums.  The way an album ranks is not really important to me.  That said, I'd quite like to see ratings have a 0 weighted value so they don't count towards the average rating score while keeping the ability to make ratings only.

Not everyone enjoys writing reviews even if they could.  Some like to use ratings to show what they like, and/or as a means to make personal lists, and don't care about how it affects the ranking or general rating.  I sometimes like to see members ratings merely to get a better idea of their tastes in music, and if I know that they have similar tastes, then as a means to look into their faves that I haven't heard as I can expect to like those too.  I can think of some personally trusted mostly ratings-only people whose ratings helped me to discover great-for-me music.

That's a great idea.
theprogmind.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 17:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Great post Greg, and in keeping with it I'd like to add that I too have found a fair deal of albums that were right up my alley - just by looking at interesting folks' list. You, in particular, are responsible for quite a big chunk of money missing from my bank account, and I am very grateful for that.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 23:50
This person has two accounts and they rated whole discographies with either 1 or 5 stars using both accounts, all rating only.  They rated virtually every release on the site involving a Yes band members with 5 stars on both accounts...

Make that 3 accounts:

Edited by Earendil - August 09 2013 at 23:52
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 10:47
Another manipulator............

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=48946
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 11:14
deleted
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 12:07
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=48888

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=48892

Same person??
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 11:02
Okay then , not the same person, just two guys from mexico named Edgar who have rated the same albums in a similar way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 46>