Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Type O Negative - Dead Again

This is a great final album from the band. There is a version of it that comes with a bonus DVD and it contains a great live performance by the band live in Wacken, Germany. You get to see Peter lay it all out as he looked more emaciated than ever from all the hard drugs. It's was sad to see, but a great epic performance of 'Love you To Death.'
Awe. I miss Peter.
Dead Again is in my top 3 from them. Prophets Of Doom and the title track are pretty awesome.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 12:50
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

This is a great final album from the band. There is a version of it that comes with a bonus DVD and it contains a great live performance by the band live in Wacken, Germany. You get to see Peter lay it all out as he looked more emaciated than ever from all the hard drugs. It's was sad to see, but a great epic performance of 'Love you To Death.'
Awe. I miss Peter.
Dead Again is in my top 3 from them. Prophets Of Doom and the title track are pretty awesome.

Oh I know you're a big fan Nick. I think it's of those few bands that never actually released anything bad, some albums are better than the others but still the quality of their material is always very very good.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 13:02
Genesis - Trespass
Procol Harum - Shine On Brightly
Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial
Led Zeppelin - s/t
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 12:48
Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation
The Who - Quadrophenia
ELP - Trilogy
Procol Harum - A Salty Dog

Edited by Xonty - April 30 2014 at 16:00
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 16:48
PFM - Storia di un Minuto
PFM - Per un Amico
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Bacamarte - Sete Cidades
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 18:37
Steely Dan    Aja    1977
Steely Dan    The Royal Scam    1976
Pink Floyd    Wish You Were Here    1975
Mitchell, Joni    Hissing of Summer Lawns, The    1975
Zappa, Frank/Captain Beefheart/Mothers    Bongo Fury    1975
Roxy Music    Viva    1975
Burton, Gary Quintet    Dreams So Real    1975
Return to Forever    Return to the 7th Galaxy: The Anthology    1975

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 30 2014 at 18:37
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 19:21

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Awe. I miss Peter.

Oh I know you're a big fan Nick. I think it's of those few bands that never actually released anything bad, some albums are better than the others but still the quality of their material is always very very good.
Became a fan a couple months ago and they've become one of my favorite bands simply from the fact that they have such a large amount of material that is ALWAYS up to a high quality.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 03:04
^ Hey that's great news, there's certainly a lot of music to open up to with The Type Os.
Any favorite album?

Albums for yesterday

Pendragon - Pure
Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture
Clearlight - Clearlight Symphony
Sotos - Platypus
The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet
City Boy - It's Peronal
Heldon - Stand By
Gong - Shamal (first listen)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 03:14

^ Hey that's great news, there's certainly a lot of music to open up to with The Type Os.Any favorite album?Albums for yesterdayPendragon - PurePendragon - The Masquerade OvertureClearlight - Clearlight SymphonySotos - PlatypusThe Mars Volta - NoctourniquetCity Boy - It's PeronalHeldon - Stand ByGong - Shamal (first listen)

Two terrific Pendragon albums, my friend! As much as I love their early works, `Pure' was a wonderful update on their sound that really matured them, took them to a whole other level! That guitar solo on `Indigo' is superb! I didn;'t like `Passion' so much, seemed they were a little too determined to ditch the Pendragon sound of old, where `Pure' kept a perfect balance!

Let us know what you think of `Shamal', mate! I find the rhyming lyrics a bit cringeworthy on it, but wow the instrumental passages are great! `Gazeuse', the fully instrumental album after it is nice too!

I actually just bought two (ahem!) `official bootlegs' of Gong from the same period, `Paris Bataclan 1976' and `Sheffield City Hall 1976', both have plenty of `Shamal' material on them! Will be lsitening to them shortly!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - May 01 2014 at 03:15
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 04:01
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

^ Hey that's great news, there's certainly a lot of music to open up to with The Type Os.Any favorite album?Albums for yesterdayPendragon - PurePendragon - The Masquerade OvertureClearlight - Clearlight SymphonySotos - PlatypusThe Mars Volta - NoctourniquetCity Boy - It's PeronalHeldon - Stand ByGong - Shamal (first listen)

Two terrific Pendragon albums, my friend! As much as I love their early works, `Pure' was a wonderful update on their sound that really matured them, took them to a whole other level! That guitar solo on `Indigo' is superb! I didn;'t like `Passion' so much, seemed they were a little too determined to ditch the Pendragon sound of old, where `Pure' kept a perfect balance!

Let us know what you think of `Shamal', mate! I find the rhyming lyrics a bit cringeworthy on it, but wow the instrumental passages are great! `Gazeuse', the fully instrumental album after it is nice too!

I actually just bought two (ahem!) `official bootlegs' of Gong from the same period, `Paris Bataclan 1976' and `Sheffield City Hall 1976', both have plenty of `Shamal' material on them! Will be lsitening to them shortly!

The Masquerade Overture was my first Neo Prog album (I think) and although I liked it, I also didn't like it. I guess it was that Neo vibe that all those bands have in common. It was only when I got Pure and was totally blown away by it, that I returned to investigate The Masquerade Overture and learned to appreciate it in its entirety. I love those albums very much, Passion and Believe too BTW. I never heard anything from their 80's stuff, I'm afraid it will be too Neo-y for me...how do you like them compared to other albums?

Shamal sounded really good on first listen, I knew already that it's not like the classic Gong but the line up is still very similar so I went for it, sounds promising for now.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 04:19

The Masquerade Overture was my first Neo Prog album (I think) and although I liked it, I also didn't like it. I guess it was that Neo vibe that all those bands have in common. It was only when I got Pure and was totally blown away by it, that I returned to investigate The Masquerade Overture and learned to appreciate it in its entirety. I love those albums very much, Passion and Believe too BTW. I never heard anything from their 80's stuff, I'm afraid it will be too Neo-y for me...how do you like them compared to other albums?Shamal sounded really good on first listen, I knew already that it's not like the classic Gong but the line up is still very similar so I went for it, sounds promising for now.

`Maquerade Overture' is very good, I really like the old romantic Pendragon style! Have to say, thought, that shorter peice in the middle of it, `The Pursuit of Excellence', is excruciating! You should check out their final album in that style, `Not of This World', very grand! I realy like their old classic Neo works (even the New Wave pop of `Kowtow' is actually a decent album, just sounds like nothing else they ever did), and I even listed their energetic little debut `The Jewel' on the new thread about `top 10 favourite Neo albums'!

So this is your first time looking into the `second' wave of Gong? `Shamal' and `Gazeuse' are really strong, but be careful investigating further. There's still some further OK albums from that period, just that Pierre Morlein starts to REALLY overdose on the xylophone, I mean pours it over every inch of albums like `Downwind' and onwards!

Eventually Daevid Allen shows up again, and `Zero To Infinity' is a very strong album from the `Gnome' series .
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 04:32

The Masquerade Overture was my first Neo Prog album (I think) and although I liked it, I also didn't like it. I guess it was that Neo vibe that all those bands have in common. It was only when I got Pure and was totally blown away by it, that I returned to investigate The Masquerade Overture and learned to appreciate it in its entirety. I love those albums very much, Passion and Believe too BTW. I never heard anything from their 80's stuff, I'm afraid it will be too Neo-y for me...how do you like them compared to other albums?Shamal sounded really good on first listen, I knew already that it's not like the classic Gong but the line up is still very similar so I went for it, sounds promising for now.

`Maquerade Overture' is very good, I really like the old romantic Pendragon style! Have to say, thought, that shorter peice in the middle of it, `The Pursuit of Excellence', is excruciating! You should check out their final album in that style, `Not of This World', very grand! I realy like their old classic Neo works (even the New Wave pop of `Kowtow' is actually a decent album, just sounds like nothing else they ever did), and I even listed their energetic little debut `The Jewel' on the new thread about `top 10 favourite Neo albums'!

So this is your first time looking into the `second' wave of Gong? `Shamal' and `Gazeuse' are really strong, but be careful investigating further. There's still some further OK albums from that period, just that Pierre Morlein starts to REALLY overdose on the xylophone, I mean pours it over every inch of albums like `Downwind' and onwards!

Eventually Daevid Allen shows up again, and `Zero To Infinity' is a very strong album from the `Gnome' series .

Thanks, I'll try and sample The Jewel if you think so highly of it Thumbs Up and forgot to mention I do have Not of This World as well and although I do like it it's my least favorite of the bunch, but definitely good anyway.

I don't know Zero To Infinity but I do have Acid Motherhood which is so freakin' heavy sometimes and 2032 with Hillage also good.
Are you aware of their upcoming tour BTW??
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 04:49

Thanks, I'll try and sample The Jewel if you think so highly of it Thumbs Up and forgot to mention I do have Not of This World as well and although I do like it it's my least favorite of the bunch, but definitely good anyway.I don't know Zero To Infinity but I do have Acid Motherhood which is so freakin' heavy sometimes and 2032 with Hillage also good.Are you aware of their upcoming tour BTW??

`The Jewel' is cool yet kind of immature, but there's a real excitement and naive energy to their playing! Just listen to the keyboard solo on `Alaska' from about the 4 minute mark, and then it goes ballistic! Just take a few minutes to listen to the whole piece!

I'll definitely get a new Gong studio album when it arrives! Sadly, despite Allen being Australian, there's NEVER any Gong related shows down here! You would be going to the Tel Aviv show, though? Lucky guy!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 05:58
^ Excellen man! really good! great song, beautiful bass lines and some driving energies towards the end, I guess I would be getting this one soon, thanks.

And that sucks about Gong never coming to Australia, it looks like a cool line up to see, can't wait already.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 06:01

^ Excellen man! really good! great song, beautiful bass lines and some driving energies towards the end, I guess I would be getting this one soon, thanks.And that sucks about Gong never coming to Australia, it looks like a cool line up to see, can't wait already.

Ha, yes, after I posted it, I thought `Damn, should have mentioned the bass playing'....   
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 08:03
Roz Vitalis - Das Licht Der Menschen
Art Zoyd - Le Mariage Du Ciel Et de L'Enfer
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
sankalp1989 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 08:15
Recovery.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 16:59
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 17:50
Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card
Yes - Relayer
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
tadracing99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 09:07
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Yes - Relayer

Relayer, Yes! Wink I was just listening to this yesterday. Sound Chaser is my all time favorite Yes song.

As for today, I'm currently enjoying Epica's new album, The Quantum Enigma, as well as rocking out to King Crimson's Red and PFM's Per Un Amico.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 511>