Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:13
Please give me some money to do a study that racism is a mental disease transferred from parent to child.  It could be something genetic.  It could be muted by heavy pharmaceuticals. 

"Volunteers given the beta-blocker, used to treat chest pains and lower heart rates, scored lower on a standard psychological test of "implicit" racist attitudes.

They appeared to be less racially prejudiced at a subconscious level than another group treated with a "dummy" placebo pill.

Scientists believe the discovery can be explained by the fact that racism is fundamentally founded on fear.

Propranolol acts both on nerve circuits that govern automatic functions such as heart rate, and the part of the brain involved in fear and emotional responses. The drug is also used to treat anxiety and panic."

Conditioning is the primary driver of racism.  Give an agitated racist some drugs to calm them down and they will appear to be less racist.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 15 2012 at 12:27
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:13
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:17
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Its an arse up world we live in!  Hollywood should be ashamed

Probably some dunbass lawyers who got sick of masturbation. I dunno, there are more important things on this godforsaken planet.
...it's also one of the few remaining pubs in So'ton that has live music.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:19
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Please give me some money to do a study that racism is a mental disease transferred from parent to child.  It could be something genetic.  It could be muted by heavy pharmaceuticals.  
...and you worked that all out based on one article?
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:28
Wait, I revised that post. LOL ^ ^ ^

Please give generously.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 15 2012 at 12:28
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 13:16

"Volunteers given the beta-blocker, used to treat chest pains and lower heart rates, scored lower on a standard psychological test of "implicit" racist attitudes.

They appeared to be less racially prejudiced at a subconscious level than another group treated with a "dummy" placebo pill.

Scientists believe the discovery can be explained by the fact that racism is fundamentally founded on fear.

Propranolol acts both on nerve circuits that govern automatic functions such as heart rate, and the part of the brain involved in fear and emotional responses. The drug is also used to treat anxiety and panic."

Conditioning is the primary driver of racism.  Give an agitated racist some drugs to calm them down and they will appear to be less racist.

So the answer to my question is "no" then,Tongue you did not work that all out based on one article, you based it on selective reading of one article. Contitioned racisim is explicit racism which the scientists (and the article, and Andy Blacksword and I) were very clear in stating that was not the same as implicit racial bias and "propranolol significantly reduced implicit but not explicit racial bias." Another 'expert' also noted that reduced heartrate caused by the drug could be a contributing factor in its effect on implicit racisim.
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 14:08
Well if it doesn't cure explicit racism what good is it??? LOL

Seriously, implicit vs explicit, subconscious vs conscious?  Aren't you getting into the realm where there isn't much basis for scientific certainty?

Ask your doctor about eraseraceinol...Tongue

Erase the race and claim the place and say we dig for ore.

Alright, I didn't read the whole article and I'm not gonna.  Is this some kind of accidental discovery or was it a commissioned experiment?

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 15 2012 at 14:24

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 14:33

Seriously, implicit vs explicit, subconscious vs conscious?  Aren't you getting into the realm where there isn't much basis for scientific certainty?
There is no basis for scientific certainty - it wouldn't be very scientific if there was.
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 15:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There is no basis for scientific certainty - it wouldn't be very scientific if there was.

Science is about testing things and the things that you are able to demonstrate in real time, as observable by us, at any time are accepted certainties.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 15 2012 at 15:06

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 15:16
^Then you have no idea what science is Slart.

Anyway, I repeat my dislike for any pill that's supposed to cure a social issue. Eventually we could be cured of it all and be nothing but serfs of ourselves. A pill to cure racism, pill to cure homosexuality... What's next.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 15:27
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Anyway, I repeat my dislike for any pill that's supposed to cure a social issue. Eventually we could be cured of it all and be nothing but serfs of ourselves. A pill to cure racism, pill to cure homosexuality... What's next.
For the last(?) time - the pill does not cure racism.
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 16:10

Right, it "combats" racism. LOL

I'm guessing you watch TV.  Over here, if you do, you are pretty much bombarded by drug ads.  Political ads used to be seasonal, but I think there is something your doctor can prescribe for that.  Thank god they are required to put in the disclosures of side effects even if they are rattled off at auctioneer's speaking speed. 

I have a drug that will cure gravity.  I'm holding on to the secret until someone sends me some money to my Cayman Islands bank account.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 15 2012 at 16:13

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 16:42

It's kind of important that as readers of broadsheet and tabloid daily newspapers we learn to distinguish between what the headline and tag line writers print to hook the unsuspecting reader and what the actual content of the news they perport to report says.

I recommend this as informative reading:
available at all good book sellers and even some bad ones.

I'm guessing you watch TV.  Over here, if you do, you are pretty much bombarded by drug ads.  Political ads used to be seasonal, but I think there is something your doctor can prescribe for that.  Thank god they are required to put in the disclosures of side effects even if they are rattled off at auctioneer's speaking speed. 
Thankfully we are spared that because we have an oppressive controlling government that believes that doctors know better than patients as to which drugs to prescribe for any given ailment.

I have a drug that will cure gravity.  I'm holding on to the secret until someone sends me some money to my Cayman Islands bank account.
It will never get off the ground. Stern Smile

What?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 14:08

What did he do to get arrested?  Protesting illegal in the US now?
Help me I'm falling!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 17:28
That is correct. Protesting or saying anything against the government seems to be becoming illegal here...

Having said that, Clooney should stick to making and acting in movies. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 17:52

It's kind of important that as readers of broadsheet and tabloid daily newspapers we learn to distinguish between what the headline and tag line writers print to hook the unsuspecting reader and what the actual content of the news they perport to report says.

I recommend this as informative reading:
available at all good book sellers and even some bad ones.

Thankfully we are spared that because we have an oppressive controlling government that believes that doctors know better than patients as to which drugs to prescribe for any given ailment.

It will never get off the ground. Stern Smile

By the way:

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 16 2012 at 17:53

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 14:52

It doesn't even necessarily reduce implicit racism as suggested. There's really no reason to believe that the psychological test used accurately measures anything.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 12:53
Four people killed in an attack against a jewish school in Toulouse (south-west of France).
This week-end, some French soldiers had been killed in this region. The two cases may be linked (the suspect is believed to be some xenophobic military).

This week-end and this monday morning, 2 synagogues in Paris had received anonymous death-threat letters.
I live near a synagogue.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 13:13
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

It doesn't even necessarily reduce implicit racism as suggested. There's really no reason to believe that the psychological test used accurately measures anything.

Just to throw a wrench in the works.

There is a very reasonable theory that at least part of emotion is just internal arousal, calm, or sedation that then the brain has to create meaning for. Thereby, a drug that decreases arousal would decrease the need to invoke a script to describe the internal state. Similarly, if racism is just a script or story the cognitive mind uses to understand its own raw aggression, taking away the aggression diffuses the whole process.

So propranolol (an adrenergic blocker that has been used loosely to control anxiety for decades) could reduce racism. No activation, no cognitive script invoked.

The opposite is certainly true, which is if you over stimulate someone with cocaine or meth, hate scripts including racist ones are more likely to emerge.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 13:30
^Ok, but, is it desirable? Even if such a thing existed. 

EDIT: I'm talking about the supposed treatment itself, not the reduction of racism by normal social processes which we all probably agree is desirable. 

Edited by The T - March 19 2012 at 13:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 446>