Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222223224225226 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 12:14
Just finished Sometimes a Great Notion (Ken Kesey) a couple days ago
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 12:54
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Today began:

FINISHED last night

One of my favorite pieces of prose, ever. That work is just eloquently beautiful.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 20:40

Nowhere near as good as the first novel, but it still really hooked me at the end.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 14:23
1/4 of:

It's like Argentina's "Catcher in the Rye", from 1926! Much darker in tone so far, more comparisons later.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 09:34
You read a lot bro. I miss being 18.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 11:58
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

You read a lot bro. I miss being 18.

Must admit that I'm still on holidays, I don't start uni till end of March.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 18:34
Books I've recently read:

The Tommyknockers, Stephen King: A small country town in Maine discovers something strange sticking out of the ground and it starts exerting dark power over them. Main character is a Writer. B+

Needful Things, Stephen King: A small country town in Maine discovers something strange about the new shop in town and it starts exerting dark power over them. Features the term 'Besh*tted'. B+

Misery, A small country town in Maine has a very strange inhabitant. After wrecking his car nearby, our main character is going to become very close to that deranged individual as she exerts her dark powers over him. Main character is a writer. My favorite so far but it is pretty close. B+

The Shining: A small country hotel in Maine is very strange as a writer and his family will come to find when they take up residence there in the hotel's off months. It is a vile place that starts exerting a dark power over them. Main character is a writer. B-

Lightning: Dean Koontz: A small country town in Mai... Ahem, this one made me giggle. A time traveling Nazi SS assassin goes forward into the future and falls in love with his rich dream girl! Main character is a Writer!  She makes millions of dollars, her friend becomes a famous movie star, and everything works out in the end. D'aww! C+

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 18:43
lolwut

You need some Richard Bachman King books.
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 10:20
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Books I've recently read:

The Tommyknockers, Stephen King: A small country town in Maine discovers something strange sticking out of the ground and it starts exerting dark power over them. Main character is a Writer. B+

Needful Things, Stephen King: A small country town in Maine discovers something strange about the new shop in town and it starts exerting dark power over them. Features the term 'Besh*tted'. B+

Misery, A small country town in Maine has a very strange inhabitant. After wrecking his car nearby, our main character is going to become very close to that deranged individual as she exerts her dark powers over him. Main character is a writer. My favorite so far but it is pretty close. B+

The Shining: A small country hotel in Maine is very strange as a writer and his family will come to find when they take up residence there in the hotel's off months. It is a vile place that starts exerting a dark power over them. Main character is a writer. B-

Lightning: Dean Koontz: A small country town in Mai... Ahem, this one made me giggle. A time traveling Nazi SS assassin goes forward into the future and falls in love with his rich dream girl! Main character is a Writer!  She makes millions of dollars, her friend becomes a famous movie star, and everything works out in the end. D'aww! C+

Read Dark Tower. Please.
Or, at least, the short stories by Stephen King. Far better than the majority of their novels.

Edited by tupan - March 15 2012 at 06:38
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 12:05

1/4 of:

It's like Argentina's "Catcher in the Rye", from 1926! Much darker in tone so far, more comparisons later.

FINISHED

Didn't love it, but there are some great poetic lines that really deserved to be underlined. 
As far as the story goes, the protagonist (a 14-16 year old) has a way more tragic life than that from Holden, however, their lifes may be too different to be compared. Silvio belongs to the lower class, and is constantly struggling for a job and understanding what he must do for life.
Holden, on the other hand, is a dissatisfeid guy who just can't cope with society, in general terms. Well, you all probably read this one, so..
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 19:19
Initial trilogy complete

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 20:01
^My favorites in the series were 1, 2, and 4, with 4 being the one that hit me the hardest. In fact, God Emperor of Dune is one of my ten favorite books of all time. I didn't give half a damn about 5, and haven't read Chapterhouse, yet.

I just read Margaret Atwood's Year of the Flood, which is her sequel to the post-apocalyptic Oryx and Crake. If it hadn't simply been a case of 'more of the same', then I would've loved it. I also read part two in the Christopher Pike Last Vampire series, which was short, kinda entertaining, and little else, I guess. Not something I'd read to remember.

I don't know what to read next. Anybody got some Stephen King short story recommendations? I've read Apt Pupil, which was actually really good, and I read The Library Policeman, which was typical Stephen King, only rather tame and predictable, or should I say that 'only' is an unnecessary term?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 17:38
Yesterday began:

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 17:44
finishing tonight
                          Farley Mowat-Tundra

starting tonight
                           David Wooldridge-Conductor's World

Edited by presdoug - March 19 2012 at 20:44
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 07:32

^My favorites in the series were 1, 2, and 4, with 4 being the one that hit me the hardest. In fact, God Emperor of Dune is one of my ten favorite books of all time. I didn't give half a damn about 5, and haven't read Chapterhouse, yet.

I just read Margaret Atwood's Year of the Flood, which is her sequel to the post-apocalyptic Oryx and Crake. If it hadn't simply been a case of 'more of the same', then I would've loved it. I also read part two in the Christopher Pike Last Vampire series, which was short, kinda entertaining, and little else, I guess. Not something I'd read to remember.

I don't know what to read next. Anybody got some Stephen King short story recommendations? I've read Apt Pupil, which was actually really good, and I read The Library Policeman, which was typical Stephen King, only rather tame and predictable, or should I say that 'only' is an unnecessary term?

Some good short stories collections by Stephen King:

Everything's Eventual (there's a Dark Tower short story there): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything%27s_Eventual

Different Seasons (you will recognize some classic of cinema here...Wink):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Different_Seasons
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 18:27

I read his King's baseball short story and it was like one of those sports stories I read in 4th grade only gone horribly eschew. It wasn't bad.

For me now:

Possibly my favorite author of all time. Shocked
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 21:25

Such a nice, short, easy read. It's amazing such a terrible movie came from adapting this.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 21:28
Heinlein is about the only sci-fi author I can stand anymore.  Maybe Larry Niven too.

edit: derp, Phillip K Dick

Edited by Triceratopsoil - March 20 2012 at 21:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 21:32
No Bradbury? Or Wells?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 21:34
I hate Fahrenheit 451, and that's the only Bradbury I've ever read (every single character makes me want to punch them in the face)

I should probably read more Wells
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222223224225226 320>