Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 10:27
To affirm what James said, yes I obtained Shub-Niggurath from mindawn.  I think all their albums may be available there.  What's great about mindawn is that they offer FLAC, which is identical to CD quality (lossless compression).
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 10:46
Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

Haha, me again.  Sorry, I'm being prolific today.  I'm home from work with a horrible ear infection - I'll have to restrict myself to minimal listening today, I think. Dead

That sucks.

Anyway... I have 7 downloads left on emusic.  Tell me what to spend them on, please. Big%20smile

Get some Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Ozrics...

*looks at the thread title*

Oh, wait. (I love having eclectic prog tastes LOL
)

GET HENRY COW'S FOUR ALBUMS. GET THEM NOW. Angry

Edited by MovingPictures07 - September 18 2008 at 10:47
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 11:00
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Hmm.  Thanks for that input, Assaf.  Probably will mark this as a low priority.

May I suggest a few other recent bands (avant-rock, not necessarily zeuhl) ?

NORMAL LOVE  with their eerie and weird math-rock/avant-rock sound and the use of a violin have a very good debut called 2007 which was released in... 2007.

OLIVE MESS have recently released a new album which follows in the path of their wonderful first album called Gramercy.

PANZERPAPPA are a superb band which mixes avant-rock, some zeuhl and Canterbury-ian sound. Their last album is excellent.

POCHAKAITE MALKO try their second album Laya which is a wonderful mix of zeuhl and avant-rock.

RATIONAL DIET though not many like them I feel they are very good with influences from several early 20 century composers. New album on the way.

OCTOBER EQUUS very accomplished Spanish group, influenced by early UZ and others. Their new one is coming out soon.

OREJAS Y LA LENGUA, LAS great Argentinian avant-rock band.

SATANIQUE SAMBA TRIO not satanic and not a trio, eerie and eccentric mix of styles.

SHINING brutal and at times weird rock/jazz

SILO, LE  Japanese madness-rock

TIGROVA MAST fantastic Croatian avant-rock!!

XHOHX you have to listen to this Belgian house of craziness and horror. Not for the faint of heart and you need to get used to the vocals.

YOLK French avant-rock/zeuhl band. I like them a lot, but I seem to be in a minority.

YUGEN in my opinion one of the best bands to come out from Italy and in general recently. They finished recording a second album and are now mixing it.

ARANIS you have to have to have to get this wonderful chamber music (yet rock spirited) Belgian ensemble albums.

DIE ANARCHISTISCHE ABENDUNTERHALTUNG same ballpark as Aranis, particularly in the first album but got much more experimental and electric in later albums.

DATE COURSE PENTAGON ROYAL GARDEN  another Japanese interesting (now defunct) experimental rock/avant-garde

GARGANTUA interesting and still forming their sound Polish group. Worth exploring in my opinion (both albums, which are different in style).

To add to this list of current bands, here are some more interesting bands that are also worth while discovering:

Un Festin Sagital from Chile
http://www.unfestinsagital.com/

No Use For Humans

Svartbag from Denmark:

The Red Masque from PA:

Krati from Belgium:

Traumfabrick:

AKINETÓN RETARD  from Chile:

CAPILLARY ACTION  from WA:

GATTO MARTE  from Italy (nice chamber rock)

I'll post more as I recall them.

song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 11:57
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Haha, me again.  Sorry, I'm being prolific today.  I'm home from work with a horrible ear infection - I'll have to restrict myself to minimal listening today, I think. Dead

That sucks.

Anyway... I have 7 downloads left on emusic.  Tell me what to spend them on, please. Big%20smile

)

Well, now I'm stumped.  "Aha!" I thought.  "Perhaps I'll take a punt on 'In Praise of Learning'.  That's only got 6 tracks."  But apparently only 5 out of the 6 are available at the present time... Ouch

That Picchio dal Pozzo album that James mentioned is on there, but that's got too many songs! Confused

Someone tell me seven random Ruins songs or something... Ermm LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 12:00

That sucks.

)

Well, now I'm stumped.  "Aha!" I thought.  "Perhaps I'll take a punt on 'In Praise of Learning'.  That's only got 6 tracks."  But apparently only 5 out of the 6 are available at the present time... Ouch  [Edit: emusic lists 5 tracks, of which 4 are available.  I guess the 6th is a bonus on the actual CD or something.]

That Picchio dal Pozzo album that James mentioned is on there, but that's got too many songs! Confused

Someone tell me seven random Ruins songs or something... Ermm LOL
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 12:09
Yes, it really sucks that emusic doesn't have what I think is the best track from In Praise of Learning.  I ended up getting the album in mp3 form from ReR - one of these days I'm just going to order the CDs of all four albums because I love Henry Cow.

7 downloads is a tough one, hard to find albums that have that few tracks.  Might have to just wait for the refresh.  But I can't recommend the HC albums highly enough, start with Leg End when you have enough downloads.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 12:48
I decided to go with Picchio dal Pozzo in the end.  The reviews of 'Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi' on here sold it to me (it looks to be an interesting mixture of different stylistic components, which is often a good thing!), and I'll only be missing one song (which I'll grab when I'm able to). Smile

I will certainly revisit Henry Cow when I have more downloads available, though.  I think I've avoided them for long enough! Embarrassed
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 12:50

I decided to go with Picchio dal Pozzo in the end.  The reviews of 'Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi' on here sold it to me (it looks to be an interesting mixture of different stylistic components, which is often a good thing!), and I'll only be missing one song (which I'll grab when I'm able to). Smile

That is an amazing album, definitely one of my favorites.  Looking forward to your opinion on it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 12:53
I'll be sure and report in, Captain Patrick! Big%20smile

I'm rather intrigued by all that Italian music out there.  I know I'm going to fall into a huge ocean of it someday. Embarrassed
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:09
Has anyone ever recommended Yochk'o Seffer and Neffish Music for inclusion?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:10
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

But I can't recommend the HC albums highly enough, start with Leg End when you have enough downloads.

I infinitely second that.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:11
Eskimo by the Residents is absolutely amazing. Any thoughts from anyone else on that matter?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:17

Eskimo by the Residents is absolutely amazing. Any thoughts from anyone else on that matter?

Have a warm blanket handy. Big%20smile

I heard that again not so long ago, and it wasn't as good as I remembered. Cry  But I was in the car; I think it goes better with being cosy indoors and closing your eyes and letting your mind wander across an imaginary snow-waste. Tongue
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:17
agree =)
and if you haven't heard them, you should like Meet the Residents and Not Available too.

I've given The Commercial Album a few goes but I am really still skeptical of it, maybe just because it wasn't what I wanted. Mark of the Mole and Third Reich 'n Roll are two I enjoy to a lesser extent.

(*blinks* why don't I have Duck Stab? I am sure I used to have)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:19

Have a warm blanket handy. Big%20smile

I heard that again not so long ago, and it wasn't as good as I remembered. Cry  But I was in the car; I think it goes better with being cosy indoors and closing your eyes and letting your mind wander across an imaginary snow-waste. Tongue

Yeah, I agree entirely there. It's not really a good driving CD, but it's absolutely perfect for listening to in the house. It's like the ideal winter album; I love it. Big%20smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:21
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

agree =)
and if you haven't heard them, you should like Meet the Residents and Not Available too.

I've given The Commercial Album a few goes but I am really still skeptical of it, maybe just because it wasn't what I wanted. Mark of the Mole and Third Reich 'n Roll are two I enjoy to a lesser extent.

(*blinks* why don't I have Duck Stab? I am sure I used to have)

Both of those albums are fantastic... I'm actually becoming a huge Residents fan. I've heard their first 7 albums, have a few others, and am in the process of acquiring nearly the rest of their other stuff. Big%20smile

Third Reich is fantastic... I just listened to that the other day. Mark of the Mole I have not heard yet but that's probably later today as my next album to hear.

Duck Stab/Buster and Glen is my second favorite album (after Eskimo), so you should definitely get it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:21

agree =)

'Not Available' is great. Thumbs%20Up  Never paid much mind to it years ago, but revisiting it, it's very haunting stuff.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:22

agree =)

'Not Available' is great. Thumbs%20Up  Never paid much mind to it years ago, but revisiting it, it's very haunting stuff.

It is very good. THE SHIP'S A GOIN' DOWN!!! Shocked

LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:24

Yeah, I agree entirely there. It's not really a good driving CD, but it's absolutely perfect for listening to in the house. It's like the ideal winter album; I love it. Big%20smile

Hehe, the thing is, I think I took that one along as a 'hammer to crack a nut'.  TIP: I always take something really off-the-wall and weird, like 'Eskimo' or whatever, so that when I put that on, whoever's driving starts going "Aaargh no no put something else on eek make it stop NOW" - and then it's time for a little Magma or Beefheart... which seems like easy listening in comparison! Evil%20Smile LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 14:25

Hehe, the thing is, I think I took that one along as a 'hammer to crack a nut'.  TIP: I always take something really off-the-wall and weird, like 'Eskimo' or whatever, so that when I put that on, whoever's driving starts going "Aaargh no no put something else on eek make it stop NOW" - and then it's time for a little Magma or Beefheart... which seems like easy listening in comparison! Evil%20Smile LOL

Haha, that's absolute genius. LOL

Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 161>