Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 15:26
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Haven't bought any new vinyl in almost 25 years, but I did buy some used vinyl that people dumped back then since some of it is collectable...mostly prog and obscure things.
Only buy cd's these days but I still pull out some vinyl and play it now and then for those I don't have on cd.
We have had numerous discussions here about sound quality so I'm not going there  since it's completely subjective.

Smile

That sounds like fun!!!
Well ....in the very early days when cd's came out lots of people sold their used vinyl to various record stores and one could get some nice things cheap but the vinyl hounds soon snapped up all the good stuff. Now it's very very hard to find any obscure prog things at any record store ( at a decent price anyway...) assuming you can even find a decent record store.
Unhappy
GUILTY !!
I had a collection of about 1200 LP's when I moved to CD's like most. If I bought the CD and the packaging was complete like the LP I tended to sell the LP. I stopped that practice when I was down to about 975 LP's. I've since rebought used copies of about 150 of them. But some of the ones I lost (ok, sold) I doubt I'll ever replace. I've just gotten so used to the 'clean surface' sound of digital that even LP's with super minor surface noise tends to annoy me. But when you get a pristine LP, it's a thing of beauty.
Life is not a 'clean surface' or void of noises Big smile. Honestly only my old original LPs have some surface noise, I was meticulous at cleaning my records and keeping them well stored. But most play with virtually no noise, understand that this is also a huge function of the cartridge in use. It's like tires on a car, the more you spend the better the ride is.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 16:48
I'd say a good 90% of my collection falls into that category. But I have LP's that I bought new that had more noise than I'd care to have. At least two of my Alan Parsons project LP's are rough pressings. I second your cart comment.

On a side note, there doesn't seem to be a thread for magazines, but I was digging through some bins in the basement today and came across these, as well as few others from back in my teen years.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 11:17

I'd say a good 90% of my collection falls into that category. But I have LP's that I bought new that had more noise than I'd care to have. At least two of my Alan Parsons project LP's are rough pressings. I second your cart comment.

On a side note, there doesn't seem to be a thread for magazines, but I was digging through some bins in the basement today and came across these, as well as few others from back in my teen years.

Ohh man!! See now I'm pissed, I had gobs of music mags from the 70's......all of them gone when my parents moved us back to the mother country for a few years, I lost so much stuff. 

I do see mags at the large record stores, but they are spendy. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:38
I just saw Cherry Five's original pressing mentioned on the most expensive records of June. I had no idea it was such a collector's item Shocked

Life is not a 'clean surface' or void of noises Big smile. Honestly only my old original LPs have some surface noise, I was meticulous at cleaning my records and keeping them well stored. But most play with virtually no noise, understand that this is also a huge function of the cartridge in use. It's like tires on a car, the more you spend the better the ride is.

I go through phases, sometimes I get tired of the noises and just listen to CD's, other times I find the CD's too clean and miss the noises. I'm mostly on a CD phase right now although it's also because I've been listening to more modern Psych Rock and Electronic lately and my vinyl collection is pretty much classic Prog.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 12:43
I also find that sometimes it's nice to have 45 - 75 mins of uninterrupted music. Getting up off the sectional every 15 -22 mins can get a little laborious...especially after some bud. Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 13:59

I also find that sometimes it's nice to have 45 - 75 mins of uninterrupted music. Getting up off the sectional every 15 -22 mins can get a little laborious...especially after some bud. Thumbs Up

CDs = Coach Potato, you maintain a winter flubby about the mid section

LPs = Svelt, lean and athletic build
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 20:03
Today apparently was National Vinyl Record Day, so these are the records I played today. I have photographic proof but don’t have a photo server I currently use to link them to, so just take my word for it:

All vinyl day #VinylRecordDay

Hugh Hopper | 1984
Rabbitt | Boys Will Be Boys
Renaissance | A Song for all Seasons
Tomita | Pictures at an Exhibition
Blind Faith | s/t
Grateful Dead | Wake of the Flood
Utopia | Deface the Music
Yo La Tengo | I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
R. Stevie Moore & Jason Falkner | Make it Be
Joe Jackson | Night & Day
Drab Majesty | Careless
Fred Frith | Speechless
D.R.I. | Crossover
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 20:10
Weird how vinyl has made a comeback but not cds. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 21:51
It was today, I have a shirt to commemorate it but I could not find it......oh well, this is what I spun today.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 02:58
^ INXS ??   
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 06:28

CDs = Coach Potato, you maintain a winter flubby about the mid section

LPs = Svelt, lean and athletic build
LOL LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 10:30
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ INXS ??   

That's right!!! Remember prog suxs.......gotta expand the mind LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 18:34
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 20:06
Came in the mail today from across the pond, a pre-order. This issue is spotless, pure enjoyment and the cut and mastering is brilliant, these are all 1/2 speed mastered. Matt Colton cut the vinyl and Tony Cousins mastered it for vinyl, everything these two have done on PG albums is amazing.
Covid pushed Secret World Live out to November, dammit!!!

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:01

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ INXS ??   

That's right!!! Remember prog suxs.......gotta expand the mind LOL

I love that KICK album!

Has killer sonic integrity.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:02

Came in the mail today from across the pond, a pre-order. This issue is spotless, pure enjoyment and the cut and mastering is brilliant, these are all 1/2 speed mastered. Matt Colton cut the vinyl and Tony Cousins mastered it for vinyl, everything these two have done on PG albums is amazing.
Covid pushed Secret World Live out to November, dammit!!!

A ridiculous amount of ear candy am I right!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 10:36
^ Yes, tons of ear candy.....Cutting it for vinyl rather than the CD version I have is all the difference. My point is I have given up buying numerous CD versions looking for the one that is not compressed to hell, sure used CDs are cheap, but buying 10 used CDs at $5 is still $50, the vinyl version is much less.

I will go to my grave saying digital should be better, but the mastering is garbage for the most part.....Digital has missed the boat 20yrs ago. Now you have to spend as much if not more on digital gear and 24bit hi-rez/SACD to match analog today. Digital does win the lazy factor LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 14:39

^ Yes, tons of ear candy.....Cutting it for vinyl rather than the CD version I have is all the difference. My point is I have given up buying numerous CD versions looking for the one that is not compressed to hell, sure used CDs are cheap, but buying 10 used CDs at $5 is still $50, the vinyl version is much less.

I will go to my grave saying digital should be better, but the mastering is garbage for the most part.....Digital has missed the boat 20yrs ago. Now you have to spend as much if not more on digital gear and 24bit hi-rez/SACD to match analog today. Digital does win the lazy factor LOL

You are definitely right in most respects with in your comment. I have so much trouble buying new music, however there are still some wonderful gems that are mastered to disc incredibly that come out each year, especially those expensive MOFI discs.
What I can say about my original first cd pressing of Peter’s incredible 1984 “plays live” is that it sounds incredible on my very costly Hi-Fi headphone set up. Very low compression with a ton of DNR, however the remaster on disc is no good. I sold it years ago and of course just kept my original.

Anyhow, my favourite track is “the Humdrum.” Love the crescendo/ build up of that tune.

Also Jose, do you have Secret World on vinyl? Bet that sounds awesome. I’m a huge Peter Walsh fan. One of my favourite producers and mixing engineers.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

You are definitely right in most respects with in your comment. I have so much trouble buying new music, however there are still some wonderful gems that are mastered to disc incredibly that come out each year, especially those expensive MOFI discs.
What I can say about my original first cd pressing of Peter’s incredible 1984 “plays live” is that it sounds incredible on my very costly Hi-Fi headphone set up. Very low compression with a ton of DNR, however the remaster on disc is no good. I sold it years ago and of course just kept my original.

Anyhow, my favourite track is “the Humdrum.” Love the crescendo/ build up of that tune.

Also Jose, do you have Secret World on vinyl? Bet that sounds awesome. I’m a huge Peter Walsh fan. One of my favourite producers and mixing engineers.

No, Secret World Live has never been issued on vinyl till now, it was only issued digital and cassette. I have a US 2xCD version which is pretty good. I am certain the vinyl version will be brilliant as all these PG releases are.
But as I said Covid has pushed it out to end October release Angry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 14:23

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

No, Secret World Live has never been issued on vinyl till now, it was only issued digital and cassette. I have a US 2xCD version which is pretty good. I am certain the vinyl version will be brilliant as all these PG releases are.
But as I said Covid has pushed it out to end October release Angry

Well I’m so glad they’re finally releasing that one as a nice double vinyl. About time!
Yeah the 1994 disc pressing from realworld is very decent. Have no intention of getting the remaster.
I love “Steam” off Secret World. Levin’s Bass punches a whole through the sky! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 312>