Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 10:43
this is full of poetic justice. Violent? It is f**king violent. To the point that it even freaked ME out. The best part was when the hero cuts the testicles off of the terrorist.  I was saying to myself: YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not abook for the faint hearted. Hillary Clinton would not be able to read this. Seal team 6 were too easy on the a****le.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:10
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Yeah, his poetry sucks, but his short stories really caught me.

Ever read any Harlan Ellison, Truthy?

I thought about picking some up at the bookstore today but was really pulled into something else entirely. I bought Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin on a whim because I vaguely remember it being mentioned somewhere in my memory banks. I really hope it's good, I have this strange feeling I'm going to like it even though I just picked it up and knew I had to have. Strange day at B&N.

Also, really sad to hear about Bradbury. Weird thing is, just two days ago my brother asked me what book he should read and I told him Fahrenheit 451 would be good. Cry

Damn shame, indeed. Always loved his short stories. The Veldt especially stuck in my mind.

If you get a chance, definitely read some of Ellison's material. His I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is currently my favorite short story. 

Will do, titles alone sound interesting. LOL
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:48
Anyone know any good literary magazines? I'm reading Black Clock which is done by Calarts and it is absolutely a stunning read: http://blackclock.org/

Edited by The Truth - June 08 2012 at 16:24
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 14:41
All I know of is Azimov's Science and the alternative Analog science fiction and fact magazine - I know them because they don't accept short stories unless they have lots of alien races, laser beams, robots and big space ships.

The kind of people that would praise Rendezvous with Rama over The Giver. Doesn't that sound pleasing?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 15:08
^ It sounds like me.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 15:09
That's pretty frightening.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 15:30
Yeah this Black Clock I'm reading has a film theme to it (I think they change with each issue) and it's really very interesting. Heck, I just read Buster Keaton: The Warhol Years - An Oral History and boy was that great.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 16:42
I have many notable novels in my collection that I haven't read. 

Which do you think I should read next?

-Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck
-For Whom the Bell Tolls, Hemingway
-Absalom, Absalom!, Faulkner
-Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky
-Jude the Obscure, Hardy
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 16:43
Dostoevsky, although I haven't read that one yet.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 17:19
Which Dostoevsky is your favorite? I've only read Underground. I liked it enough to finish it, that is all.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 18:08
Underground is all I've read too but I pretty much loved it.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 19:30
-Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck
-For Whom the Bell Tolls, Hemingway

i think these two would probably be the best in line with your tastes (I've not read the Hardy book, tho', and have been way off in recommendations before).
A lot of people have found Crime and Punishment a good entry point (after his shorter works) into Dostoyevsky's longer works. The first novel I read by him was The Idiot, which remains my favourite due to nostalgic reasons. But I have a bias towards him as a writer; I was introduced to his works while in St Petersburg (where Crime and Punishment is set) and in that way it was a more hands on experience (at a formative time of life), kind of like reading Sartre in Paris and visiting all the cafes.
The most devastating for me from an emotional perspective was The Demon (aka The Possessed; different publications have different titles), it was one of those novel where you spend the next hour siting in the same said chair thinking simple thinks like 'f**k' or 'damn'  having yet to find a footing for the emotions you'd like to grasp more concretely. 

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 19:39
^What you said about 'The Possessed', has just made me switch. I was going to take Crime and Punishment along with me tomorrow - had it off the shelf and in my work bag. Now I'm switching it with The Possessed.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 23:08

The fact that I like a sci-fi book more than the Giver?
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 02:31
I went ahead and bought Dostoyevsky's Demons along with Infinite Jest and Anna Karenina.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 06:45
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

The fact that I like a sci-fi book more than the Giver?

Naw - I thought The Giver was soft sci-fi anyway. 

It scared me that you'd like THAT book over, well, nearly anything. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 10:07
30 cent book bin
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 18:34
I just bought Gogol's Diary of a Madman and Other Stories for 3 dollars on a whim. I'm going on another short story binge.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 19:24
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Dostoevsky, although I haven't read that one yet.

It's long and boring but really, really good.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 19:31
Mmm Dostoyevsky.

The Brothers Karamazov is amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 320>