Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 247248249250251 282>
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 09:25
^It's a fair suggestion, I was quite sure we mentioned something like that before, that people should say how they received a copy of their album X months before the release date and so on in their reviews. Not sure if we made enough of a propaganda of it though, can't change the rule text on the actual form either.

We did occasionally have an album posted and then in the track listing or somewhere wrote how all ratings before the release date for this album will be deleted as a warning. Since albums can be rated before without ever visiting the album page I'm not sure how effective it was.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 09:30
^its always the neo prog fans who rate and review stuff before it comes out and makes alt accounts to bump the ratings up.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Any word on these reviews?

OP admits he hasn't listened to the album, has given every DT album one star reviews

Doesn't seem like reviewer has listened to the full album, just describes it in very vague terms and only mentions the opening track

Reviewer says nothing about the album, just calls them an anglagard rip off in a bare minimum review

Cleaned up.
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 05:59
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2338201

This review seems to mainly Sl*g off Yes fans who don’t like their commercial period. There’s little mention of the actual music other than the reviewer likes it.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 14:13
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2339983
This review doesn't really talk about the album at all.  It mostly talks about the reviewer's disdain for Symphonic Prog.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 14:46
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2339983
This review doesn't really talk about the album at all.  It mostly talks about the reviewer's disdain for Symphonic Prog.

^ A minimal review, but I don't see it as breaking the rules, nor do I read it as "mostly talk[ing] about the reviewer's disdain for Symphonic Prog".
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 15:10
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2338201

This review seems to mainly Sl*g off Yes fans who don’t like their commercial period. There’s little mention of the actual music other than the reviewer likes it.

I'd call it a rant much more than a review of the album. Hmm, he does this in all three of his reviews.   See: http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=68173

For Yes 90125:

Originally posted by stevoz stevoz wrote:

Seriously, I am sick of reading the myopic views of those 'armchair critics' that pass themselves of as "true Yes fans" or "true Prog fans" and then give their 'definitive' opinions of this album as if they are some sort of moral authority on whether or not a band has the right to even evolve! This IS a Yes album.....it is by the band YES. It displays a musical evolution into a broader genre which ACTUALLY made them some decent money. Without this album, Yes would have been dead years ago. This album allowed them to keep making music on their terms, not the terms of those 'loyal' fans who were sadly rooted to the past.

I consider myself a true prog fan and a true Yes fan but most of all, I consider myself a true 'music' fan and find it offensive to be told not to like this album. As a music fan, I love this album. As a music fan, I also love Yes 'true prog' albums as well......I just don't have a narrow mind.

This album displays superb musicianship and superb vocal harmonies throughout. Sure, the songwriting is not up to the standard of earlier Yes output but it is far more accessible to the masses. We don't want our music fandom to always be like a being in an exclusive club do we.....and to leave that club means excommunication of the 'heathens'? Sounds like a strict cult.....but I guess that suits some of the more arrogant among us. Get over yourselves.....you're narrow bias is showing.....and it's sad.

For Kansas Monolith (not quoted in full):

A lot of pompous t**t amongst some of these 'reviews'.....looks like many have followed the 'Rolling Stone' trend of belittling fine efforts to raise one's own ego. This is a fine album.....sure, it's not up there with 'Leftoverture' or "Point Of No Return" but it is fine album nonetheless......superbly played.

... It's all about the music and this album delivers more than enough to entertain.....except to those pompous enough to think they can do better.....which they can't. A solid four stars from me.

An excerpt from the review of Big Generator (the first paragraph):

IGNORE THE PROG SNOBS!! This a great rock album!
Many reviewers have come on here to express their disdain at this supposedly 'sellout' album by prog masters Yes. Get a grip people! This is a wonderful album in it's own right. Are you saying Yes didn't have the right to change or evolve? You indeed have the right to reject this album but you are frankly missing out....

This is problematic and a reviewer to watch. Make sure to read all full reviews be the reviewer, I just didn't want to quote all in full despite taking them from this same site. I do think think it crosses the line of acceptability. Looking at the reviews guidelines: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13152

Originally posted by Reviews Guidelines Reviews Guidelines wrote:

4 - Write in an intelligent and considerate manner. Rude or insulting language (including blatant vulgarity) will not be tolerated! Show respect for other reviewers, readers, the artists, and the CD and song titles. Do not belittle reviews posted by others, their opinions are as welcome and valid as yours. It is generally best to avoid commenting on other reviews altogether.
The following are examples of phrases which should NOT appear in reviews: "Reviewer Joe Smith is stupid for saying that...", "Anyone who doesn't like this album is an idiot", "The band which made this album is rubbish", etc.,

5 - Do not voice general opinions on matters such as whether a band/album/sub-genre should be included in the site, whether you agree with the star rating system, etc.. Such matters should be discussed in the forum. Keep the review pertinent to the specific album concerned. The reviews section is NOT the place for initiating or prolonging a debate.

Yeah, not good, especially when it is insulting towards other reviewers.

Edited by Logan - March 03 2020 at 15:14
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 15:08
Is this supposed to be review? Ermm
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 15:55
^ yes, especially not good to see that on the front page, and it makes me rather more uncomfortable that it's from an official Prog reviewer. I'd like to say that it's a kind of art, but not one that I admire. I'm removing it. Gone.

Copying it here in case he visits the forum is sad to have lost it, and wishes to adapt it, but it would take quite the re-write..

"Jonas Munk - Minimum Resistance - (2020).
Young man , comes up with old proposals! Read all about it!!!!!!!!!!!! In a worlderful world of imitators and past gone long (ElectronIc -Prog) fan's whims (LOL) tastes , there are still there musicians, who dare. Dare to dare!!!!!! Read all about it!!!!! Haters hate! As they say.

U think ? Anyway if you do not speak English, it's either or neither. Who gives a sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

A close attraction to master Electronic/Prog/Ambient composer, Mr. Brian ENO's works for starters, Jonas Munk , renders a kind of distant tribute. Sadly expect no more than that, from a perfectly young & talented artist, who , (I do no not why?), came up with this."

Edited by Logan - March 20 2020 at 16:00
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 11:11
Two Strawbs reviews by Ross Warren that have duplicate reviews for the two different Strawbs albums (The Ferryman's Curse and Grave New World.) I'm a Strawbs fan and I can't tell which album this review is supposed to accompany. Please delete both. Reviews # 2353827 and 2353824.

Edited by SteveG - April 23 2020 at 11:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 14:15
No need to delete both. It's clearly a Ferryman's Curse review...the New World one is a duplicate and probably a mistake on his part.

Definitely not a great review, the reason asking for both being deleted?

Maybe we should set himself on fire instead.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 19:14
https://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2374235

This review should probably be removed.  But that's just my opinion.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 19:36
This person has already had multiple reviews removed ^ I agree, this person drops terrible 1 star reviews that show no indication they even listened to the album.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 21:11
Saw that and thought the guy is a tosspot. That’s not a review, that’s a rant from a meat-head.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 21:41
Yes at least as for this review, this is not a review. Toasted.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 22:01
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2263572

Heres another review from the same guy, released before the album came out. There is very little indication he has heard the whole album. He only talks about the opening track (Which was the single, or the only song out at the time of this review). He also says "From What I've Heard" pretty much stating he hasn't listened to the full album.

Here is yet another bare minimum review from him where he pretty much says nothing about the album except that its bad. He closes with "I should really say more about this album but I just cannot go through the trouble of talking about this atrocity." Then maybe you shouldn't be reviewing it guy.

Id argue this is a lame, baseless rant rather than a review.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - April 24 2020 at 22:03
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 03:33
^ Sure, all gone.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 08:57
Thanks for the response^ cheers!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 14:23
Another terrible "review" once again from the same guy

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 16:18
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Another terrible "review" once again from the same guy

I don't argue that it isn't much of a review but I think it's enough to stand.  He says why he doesn't like it, and also how other people might like it if they like the things he doesn't like.  Confused
In fact, reading his review, I would say I wouldn't like that album, though I probably wouldn't give it 1 star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 247248249250251 282>