Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 161>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 09:05
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

As for that 'radioactive canine excrement' reaction - dear oh dear. LOL  All it needs, though, is someone achingly 'now' to cite UZ as an influence, or something... actually, no, I hope that doesn't happen. Confused Tongue

Well I can do worse than that. Cry

Those rather lacklustre guys of The Libertines (I believe it was them, it may have been Babyshambles Dead) apparently have recorded a version of The Graham Collier Sextet track Lullabye for a Lonely Child.  Which is a beautiful piece that was also performed by Nucleus (which actually included former members of The Graham Collier Sextet).

Luckily for me, I have not heard this cover version and I don't know if I want to either. Ouch

'Lacklustre' is the ideal word for that bunch.  They'd love to be effete, dandyish aesthetes, but you don't get to be so hailed simply by dint of being skinny, wearing unwashed black outfits and enjoying the consumption of banned substances. Dead
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 09:21

Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

wow, this just confirm i live with my head in the sand. by hip, are we talking about people who read pitchfork as the gospel?

I'm not even sure what 'pitchfork' is, other than being an implement favoured by angry peasants who wish to disrupt the machinations of misguided aristocrats. Confused LOL

This is what it is:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/

There's a lot of reviews on there for bands such as This Heat, who were kind of "hip" in the 1980s, due to their supposed New Wave and Post-Punk aesthetics.

It's a bit like knowing only The Stranglers greatest hits, such as Gordon Golden Brown and not knowing any of their other tracks which are probably better but harder on the ears.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 09:25
Almost every slightly-prog (in their terms) bands are usually influenced by Pink Floyd, even if they've only ever heard Shine of You Crazy Diamond and Another Brick in the Wall Part 2. Disapprove

I could say I was influenced by Abba because I used a C Chord.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 14:42
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Almost every slightly-prog (in their terms) bands are usually influenced by Pink Floyd, even if they've only ever heard Shine of You Crazy Diamond and Another Brick in the Wall Part 2. Disapprove

I could say I was influenced by Abba because I used a C Chord.

Funnily enough, Charles Hayward is a bit of an Abba fan himself. I don't know if you could really say they influenced his music though.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 15:14
So I asked sometime back about Art Zoyd CD's and their associated outrageous prices. I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the least expensive from Amazon.

Only ran $22.98, but I have to wait 4 weeks for shipping. In the meantime I decided I couldn't wait that long for a taste, so I went against my nature as a tactile shopper and bought Les Espaces Inquiets - Phase IV- Archive II as an MP3 download $16.  Nice considering Wayside is $35 for Phase IV alone. I am happy, 320kbps files have excellent quality.  These guys are brutal and elegant.  A peripheral listen sounds minimalist, but very deep textures. Will take many listens to absorb.

I think I may continue in the MP3 direction for more of their stuff until I am a millionare and dont care how much I pay for liner art. So what is the next recommended piece? Faust? Berlin? I have heard Metropolis is extra-thick and should only be listened to after a solid introduction. Thoughts?

On a side note, I also found that almost the entire Magma library is available on MP3 from Amazon dirt cheap.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocktopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 15:35
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I think I may continue in the MP3 direction for more of their stuff until I am a millionare and dont care how much I pay for liner art. So what is the next recommended piece? Faust? Berlin? I have heard Metropolis is extra-thick and should only be listened to after a solid introduction. Thoughts?

That  triple thing you bought is a strange release but the music's still great. How does the archive stuff compare with the two original albums?

Don't go for any of the ones you mention next. These are all absolutely essential:

Génération sans futur (1980)
Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités (1976) (I think I prefer the 1980 recorded version)
Musique pour l'odyssée (1979)
Le Mariage du ciel et de l'enfer (1985)

That other similar boxset contains their three first masterpieces. More similar to Phase V than Les Espaces in sound. You might as well go for that. Especially when you buy it as a download.

After that you can get Häxan and Metropolis
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 19:08
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

That  triple thing you bought is a strange release but the music's still great. How does the archive stuff compare with the two original albums?

Don't go for any of the ones you mention next. These are all absolutely essential:

Génération sans futur (1980)
Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités (1976) (I think I prefer the 1980 recorded version)
Musique pour l'odyssée (1979)
Le Mariage du ciel et de l'enfer (1985)

That other similar boxset contains their three first masterpieces. More similar to Phase V than Les Espaces in sound. You might as well go for that. Especially when you buy it as a download.

After that you can get Häxan and Metropolis

The compilation I bought was really hard to figure out. I thought it was 2 albums compiled to be called "Archive II" which is of course not the case. Sean Trane's review of the album cleared things up.

As far as your question, I will need to digest further before I can give you a fair answer as I have only gone through once.  I actually broke the collection up into its 3 components and listened to the archive section first, so it is the least fresh in my mind.  That being said, Phase IV is long enough that ...Inquiets did not really stew very well eitherAnyway, thanks for the input.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 21:34
Anyone listen to Capillary Action?

Try here http://www.capillaryaction.net/ and let me know what you think

Also, two new release on the horizon from two very exciting bands - Yugen and Rational Diet.
Can't wait!!

Finally, have a listen to tracks from the new October Equus album, Charybdis, here

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 21:45
New Yugen! Shocked

Excellent news. Haven't heard...or don't remember. Any idea on approximate release date?
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 21:50
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

New Yugen! Shocked

Excellent news. Haven't heard...or don't remember. Any idea on approximate release date?

No.
I saw Marcello saying in PE that it is now being mastered.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 21:56
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

New Yugen! Shocked

No.
I saw Marcello saying in PE that it is now being mastered.

Thats good enough for me. It has high expectations to meet, but I'm confident it will meet them. Looking forward to it.

And thanks for the above links....I"ll give a listen in due time.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 05:07

Syzygy, I heard both Deceit and s/t. I don't know, I'll try again more later.

Assaf, Capillary Action are really good. They kind of sound a lot like Mr. Bungle, especially with the vocals, but somehow I like them more.

Edited by Henry Plainview - September 21 2008 at 05:09
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocktopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 06:08

I actually broke the collection up into its 3 components and listened to the archive section first, so it is the least fresh in my mind.  That being said, Phase IV is long enough that ...Inquiets did not really stew very well eitherAnyway, thanks for the input.

That other box is an excellent buy. Better than the one you already got. They peaked in 79-82 as an Avant/R.I.O jazzy-chamberprog ensemble, and you already have Phase V.(It also contains the re-recorded Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités, which I consider the best version)  After that they got more and more electronic and minimalist. Love some of that too, but just not as much. Similar to how I feel about The Residents releases post ca. 85. Good, sometimes great, interesting and all that, but I haven't heard anything that I prefer to any of their "classic" albums.

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 11:36
Speaking of the Residents, I'm going to see them in a couple weeks.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 12:25
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Anyone listen to Capillary Action?

Try here http://www.capillaryaction.net/ and let me know what you think

Also, two new release on the horizon from two very exciting bands - Yugen and Rational Diet.
Can't wait!!

Finally, have a listen to tracks from the new October Equus album, Charybdis, here

Yugen and Rational Diet? Excellent news indeed! 2 of my favourite RIO/Avant bands of the last few years. 
'Like so many of you

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 12:30
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I actually broke the collection up into its 3 components and listened to the archive section first, so it is the least fresh in my mind.  That being said, Phase IV is long enough that ...Inquiets did not really stew very well eitherAnyway, thanks for the input.

That other box is an excellent buy. Better than the one you already got. They peaked in 79-82 as an Avant/R.I.O jazzy-chamberprog ensemble, and you already have Phase V.(It also contains the re-recorded Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités, which I consider the best version)  After that they got more and more electronic and minimalist. Love some of that too, but just not as much. Similar to how I feel about The Residents releases post ca. 85. Good, sometimes great, interesting and all that, but I haven't heard anything that I prefer to any of their "classic" albums.

That's pretty much how I feel about Art Zoyd as well. I like the Marathonnere albums best from their later output, but it seems that they were increasingly going for atmosphere over content - maybe because a lot of the post 85 work was created for multimedia performances.
'Like so many of you

song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 13:19
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Oh, cool.  Enjoy yourself!  I am out of the loop and not sure how they are dressing nowadays, but if you see Mr Skull you can send him my warmest regards. Wink
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 13:31

I saw them on their 13th anniversary tour way back when - as a veteran of many weird and wonderful gigs, I can honestly say that I still haven't seen anything quite like it for sheer out-there weirdness. Enjoy!
'Like so many of you

song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 13:59
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I saw them on their 13th anniversary tour way back when - as a veteran of many weird and wonderful gigs, I can honestly say that I still haven't seen anything quite like it for sheer out-there weirdness. Enjoy!

Gosh, how very... what's the word... epochal. Big%20smile  I was only listening to the 13th Anniversary CD the other day.  (RIP Snakefinger. Cry)  Classic weirdness. Tongue
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 14:26

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Gosh, how very... what's the word... epochal. Big%20smile  I was only listening to the 13th Anniversary CD the other day.  (RIP Snakefinger. Cry)  Classic weirdness. Tongue

Snakefinger's guitar was one of many highlights - I'm glad I got to see him on stage. Apart from him there was Mr Skull on Emulator and occasionally one of the other Residents would play a second synth/emulator when he(?) wasn't singing.

It may also be why I'm such a fan of the Mole trilogy. The Mole Show had been the previous tour (which I missed) but they played quite a long segment of Mark of the Mole and it was brilliantly staged, which somehow made the studio albums more accessible.
'Like so many of you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 161>