Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 13:49
Sold at Christies for GBP 1,482,000 a 2021 recording of Bob Dylan Blowin In the Wind acetate ......Holy bajeezus!! 
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 14:52
The Tangent - Proxy
The Tangent - Songs From the Hard Shoulder
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason   (45rpm half-speed master)
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 10:18
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

The Tangent - Proxy

Do tell on the PF record....I have the 2015 remaster and a crappy 1987 CD as well my 1987 cassette...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 12:04
Chad Kassem has built a great company, pressing great records as well.....

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 13:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The Tangent - Proxy

Do tell on the PF record....I have the 2015 remaster and a crappy 1987 CD as well my 1987 cassette...

Will do. Not got round to playing it yet though.

Recent purchases:

black midi - Hellfire
The Tangent - A Spark In The Aether
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone
The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery

But Amazon deciding it's a good idea to send vinyl albums without any packaging, the label stuck straight on the protective sleeve. Seriously? Complaint done.

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 15:23

The Tangent - Proxy

Will do. Not got round to playing it yet though.

Recent purchases:

black midi - Hellfire
The Tangent - A Spark In The Aether
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone
The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery

But Amazon deciding it's a good idea to send vinyl albums without any packaging, the label stuck straight on the protective sleeve. Seriously? Complaint done.

I would sue 'em for a lot!!!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 16:49

Sold at Christies for GBP 1,482,000 a 2021 recording of Bob Dylan Blowin In the Wind acetate ......Holy bajeezus!! 
"advances in materials science to generate a protective sapphire and quartz gradient coating"

My god...can you imagine the wear on your stylus?
Play it once...new stylus please ! LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 10:01
I can see an acetate from '61 going for that much..maybe ,,,, but a  rerecorded one?
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 11:36
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I can see an acetate from '61 going for that much..maybe ,,,, but a  rerecorded one?
Confused
It's like that Wu-Tang Clan album Once Upon a Time in Shaolin that Martin Shkreli bought. Just a one off. No other copies ever made. Still...$4 million.

Edited by JD - July 30 2022 at 11:38
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 15:26
How are you guys feeling about the whole MOFI controversy with their marketing/ethics issues?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 16:26
^Can you elaborate? What are the issues?
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 23:18

This is nuts. Holy f**k!Shocked
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 11:02
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

How are you guys feeling about the whole MOFI controversy with their marketing/ethics issues?

Ha!!! Yea over 500 pages over at Hoffman Forums when this broke what 10 days a go or so. In a nutshell for me, MoFi misled its customers PERIOD!! 
They have been insinuating for the last 15-20yrs they do not have a digital step in the mastering, there are interviews both paper and videos where the engineers have stated there is no digital step in the mastering, they only work from original master tapes.
As of right now, they have been cutting from digital files since 2007-08, and pretty much everything they have issued since around 2015 has been cut from digital source. 
Two main issues for me:
1) I am not an all analog buyer of records, I have both digital cut and all analog cut records that sound brilliant, as well the opposite. I have MoFi records that are some of the best cut as well some that are stinkers! So for me this is not a digital vs analog issue, far from it.
2) I'm not paying $100-$125 for their digital cut records, simply not worth it now that we know the truth. why? Because there are digital cut records that sell for $25-$50 that are 90-95% of what you might get from MoFi.

MoFi engineers are some of the best in the world, as well their mastering is off the charts no doubt. They deserve a premium but not that much anymore.

The main issue with the audiophile record world is that MoFi has been deceiving customers letting them think they are buying a record that has been carefully curated from the Original Master Tapes and processed all analog. The reason why they have been doing a digital step is due to labels not allowing them to handle the original master tapes, so they have been getting DSD copies of the tapes. Again, I have no issue with this but they have not been transparent in letting the consumer know.
MoFi is probably in a world of hurt right now, possible they broke some laws around marketing, but yea they have a massive black eye now and will be tough for them to return to their glory. 
Many, many people have cancelled pre-orders of records the past 2 weeks now that they now they are cut from digital source. Luckily I don't have any on order......

It's a mess.... 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 11:08
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

This is nuts. Holy f**k!Shocked

It's only money.....LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 12:15
Arrived today......My continuation of The Flower Kings on LP, these are all great presses and packaging. Roine always includes the CD versions as well. All pressed at Optimal Media in Germany and sounds excellent!
This is a 3-LP/2CD set.

Edited by Catcher10 - August 15 2022 at 12:16
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 18:02
Marvin Gaye~What's Goin On, 50th Anniversary edition 2-LP version with several What's Goin On alternate versions as well Side IV is the original mono versions. Excellent packaging with high quality glossy images and some great liner notes.
Direct to analog mastering by Kevin Gray, sounds spectacular, easily my best version. Priced very well too at around US$35.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2022 at 11:06
Two new additions to my jazz section.......

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 15:35
After attending my niece's wedding on Sat and then helping with the clean up on Sun I figured I'd earned a little treat for my self so my brother-in-law and I visited a record store in London.
I can always find something to buy !

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 00:03
Bought Pictures At Eleven when it came out way back in the day, big fan of that album!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 14:35
Some shopping at a great record store in Montana this week.....the used records are VG++ to NM, great prices! I have the Rush album both the original CD as well this remix from 2013 bought on release. Sealed copies go for $80-$100 on Discogs, this store (for some reason) had a $30 price on it, I snagged it quickly!! Not planning on opening, will sell if it gets to around $200 probably Clap

Both Rush and Sonny Clark are sealed copies.

Edited by Catcher10 - September 15 2022 at 14:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 312>