Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 16:44
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Hey Garten...read this book,dude!!!!

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 19:33
Just bought the brand new book from my favorite author.  I say "favorite" which makes it sound like I read a lot, but I don't.  I always make an exception for this guy though.

[DAVID SEDARIS - "Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls"]

Edited by HolyMoly - May 02 2013 at 19:34
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 20:48
Began Norman Mailer's The Spooky Art about the writing process.   Very good so far.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 01:04
I'm about half way through The Man In The High Castle. Pretty interesting alternate reality of life had the Axis powers won WWII.  The I Ching thing is slightly confusing, but otherwise, I'm really enjoying it.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 10:51
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

I'm about half way through The Man In The High Castle. Pretty interesting alternate reality of life had the Axis powers won WWII.  The I Ching thing is slightly confusing, but otherwise, I'm really enjoying it.

Some years back there was a rumor they were going to do a film of it but it never panned out apparently.

btw  I recommend this if you like good sci-fi...they did an excellent film of this also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyitsthatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 14:07

it's a brick but it's a good brick, slightly over halfway done

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 17:11
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Some years back there was a rumor they were going to do a film of it but it never panned out apparently.

btw  I recommend this if you like good sci-fi...they did an excellent film of this also.

Cool, I'll have to check it out!

I've heard that a mini-series is in the works for Man In The High Castle, which would be cool. 
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ady Cardiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 06:46
now onto book 5 of 10.......

Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 15:29
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:28

FINISHED

Bloody depressive, but very true, criticism of humanity. Really liked his style and thoughts.
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto pankrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 20:37
Just read "Changes" by Jim Butcher. Another in the unending Dresden Files series. Entertaining saga of the only wizard in the phonebook.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 23:19
A favorite :

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 09:14
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

Just read "Changes" by Jim Butcher. Another in the unending Dresden Files series. Entertaining saga of the only wizard in the phonebook.

I've been reading a lot of dark urban fantasy,and really enjoy Butcher and Simon R. Green's Nightside series.If you like this kind of stuff check out Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim books,Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles and Mike Carey's Felix Castor books.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 09:43
Chuck Panozzo's book is not a typical rock bio about Styx.  Rather it deals with the hardships of losing his brother to drink, and what it was like to live "in the closet" as a gay man while trying to navigate the life of a rock star.  The quiet guy on the bass was a complex man with an interesting story.  Enjoyed it. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 22:24
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

I'm waiting for a new one to come out. I enjoy that series.
Haquin
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 12:02

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 11:58
Just finished up Zelazny's "Creatures of Light and Darkness" which was another entertaining read from that master...now I'm reading Greg Bear's "Blood Music" which is a fairly interesting semi-cyberpunk-y book. 

Speaking as others were of movie adaptations of cool sci-fi...I just found the Kickstarter to help fund the movie adaptation of Radio Free Albemuth's release and limited screening.  Supposedly it's the most faithful adaptation of a PKD book, so I'm very excited.  For those who may be interested, here's the link. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elizabethkarr/radio-free-albemuth-theatrical-release?ref=live
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 14:40
I finally read To Kill A Mockingbird. So that's that.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 18:00
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Just finished up Zelazny's "Creatures of Light and Darkness" which was another entertaining read from that master...now I'm reading Greg Bear's "Blood Music" which is a fairly interesting semi-cyberpunk-y book. 

Speaking as others were of movie adaptations of cool sci-fi...I just found the Kickstarter to help fund the movie adaptation of Radio Free Albemuth's release and limited screening.  Supposedly it's the most faithful adaptation of a PKD book, so I'm very excited.  For those who may be interested, here's the link. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elizabethkarr/radio-free-albemuth-theatrical-release?ref=live

Thanks for the info about the PK Dick film ....read the book  years ago.
I like all of Zelazny's books.....perhaps my favorite sci-fi-fantasy series of all time is The Nine Princes In Amber. I' ve read it twice but thinking about reading it again since it's been many years.
If you like well written  sci-fi I highly recommend the Culture series by Ian Banks.

And for sheer fun I recommend the Repairman Jack series by F Paul Wilson.
Haquin
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 18:31
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I finally read To Kill A Mockingbird. So that's that.

How did you like it?

Just finished:

Now I'm on:

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - May 27 2013 at 18:32
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 320>