read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 260261262263264 320>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 08:38
A bit caught up by technology (it's about internet criminals), but an interesting police novell from Sweden: Henning Mankell's 'Firewall'.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 06:55
Done with Faulkner, I am truly impressed.

Now, onto my favorite ever writer, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, reading La Mala Hora.

(the romanian "cover LOLWinkTongue)
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paolo.beenees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 15:31
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

Probably because you read them in school. School ruined Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Shakespeare, and Of mice and Men, for me.

Sorry, but I find this statement really snobbish. If you haven't got far educated parents or any sort of pygmalion, school is the only institution which can indicate you any thread in literature.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 12:14
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

I read The Signal-man (Dickens), The Withered Arm (Hardy) and The Country of the Blind (Wells) at school and thoroughly enjoyed them.So school didn't ruin my reading pleasure of great books.

As I remember, my English Literature exams were done on Chaucer's 'Pardoner's Tale' and Shakespear's 'Julius Caesar'

The Pardoner's Tale put me off Chaucer for life, but Julius Caesar (thanks to a great teacher, Mr Nelmes) instilled a love of the Bard, so 50/50's not too bad, I guess.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 12:04
Luckily I didn't have to read anything good for school, but I'm a bit worried about how my literature studies will change my taste in books.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 12:09
I read The Signal-man (Dickens), The Withered Arm (Hardy) and The Country of the Blind (Wells) at school and thoroughly enjoyed them.

So school didn't ruin my reading pleasure of great books.

I'm still reading Kurt Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan.  It's getting better and better and the humour is terrifically subtle (and I ended up sniggering on the train too).
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 01:52
Probably because you read them in school. School ruined Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Shakespeare, and Of mice and Men, for me.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 16:48
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I've been revisiting a couple of 20th Century American Classics from my schooldays:

Enjoyed them both immensely!

I had to read them recently as school assignments and found them immensely boringLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 07:16
Of Mice And Men is a superb book - I keep meaning to revisit 'East Of Eden' and my personal Steinbeck favorite 'The Grapes Of Wrath' again...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 07:02
I've been revisiting a couple of 20th Century American Classics from my schooldays:

Enjoyed them both immensely!

paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paolo.beenees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 06:51
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

My latest read, extremely entertaining and outrageously full of heavy information and knowledge, Huxley was a genius!

I really like Huxley. Have you ever tried "Island"? Maybe one of the few books which changed something in my life (at least, in my vision of the world).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 03:51
Currently reading:

Using regimental records & personal letters the book traces the last years of three soldiers, one British, One American & one German - all of whom are known to have fallen in the same area, none of whose bodies were ever recovered. The book then goes on to the attempts by their families to find out where their loved ones fell to be able to bring them home, the political struggles at the time to get the unknown fallen recognised at all & the eventual granting of the now famous tombs of the unknown soldier.

An excellent read & a real soldiers insight into day to day life in the trenches (unusually, from both sides).

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lost Chord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 23:01
My latest read, extremely entertaining and outrageously full of heavy information and knowledge, Huxley was a genius!

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 18:32
Into Strugatsky brothers lately. Finished Hotel Of The Dead Alpinist and Definitely Maybe(if you translate the Russian title directly it's "One billion years before the end of the world")

Gonna read Devil amongst people, The Doomed City, The Details of Nikita Vorontsov's Life, and Search for Designation next. Reading them all in Russian oiriginals. It's really great that I can read this stuff in its original language
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daz2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 16:45
Charity by Lesley Pearce
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 05:53
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

^^^ that sounds like a fascinating read...

...if you're interested, I've recently finished reading 'The Great Mortality' by John Kelly... about the spread of the Black Death from the Russian Steppes in 1347, across Europe, looking at both the 'pestis' plague virus and the medieval reaction to it... fascinating reading and thoroughly recommended.Clap

I've seen that book in shops, and thought about getting it. Being European, I am quite aware of the extent of the epidemic, and of the consequences it had on the fabric of society at the time - including the cultural life of the various countries.

Thanks a lot for the heads up - I'll buy that book ASAP, though yesterday I ordered almost £100's worth of books on folklore and fairy tales for my PhD dissertation, and at some point I'll have to read them.Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 05:46

...if you're interested, I've recently finished reading 'The Great Mortality' by John Kelly... about the spread of the Black Death from the Russian Steppes in 1347, across Europe, looking at both the 'pestis' plague virus and the medieval reaction to it... fascinating reading and thoroughly recommended.Clap

I have a morbid curioiusity about that.. Having just spent time in Italy for example and seeing the old towns, villages, and cities you can see how the plague could spread so quickly.   I read a book years ago in a history class about it, the shear numbers were staggering enough to catch your attention.  I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks! Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Erg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 05:45

Cheers Jared

I shall look out for that one

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 05:40

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 05:40
started an interesting book last night...

Fatal Silence by Robert Katz

about Pope Pius XII and the German Occupation of Rome..

fascinating read so far

have recently read..

D.H. Lawrence - Etruscan Places
Carlo Levi - Christ stopped at Eboli
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 260261262263264 320>