Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 07:48
A couple of very nice offerings from Starzplay that I highly recommend

Gaslit Season 1 2022 8 episodes

A period piece going into the main characters around the Watergate scandal that eventually brought the Nixon administration down. Julia Roberts stars as Martha Mitchell , the suffering wife of the horribly misguided John Mitchell who largely instigated the whole mess (played unrecognisably in a fat suit by Sean Penn) . English actor Dan Stevens does a great job as whistle blower John Dean who later became a bit of a celebrity on US TV. I'm a fan of Penn's work and he is the stand out here. The more famous and almost comic G Gordon Liddy is also well portrayed by Shea Whigham. If there is any justice this should win a host of awards I think. 10/10

Tokyo Vice Season 1 2022 8 episodes

Another period true event series about American reporter Jake Apelstein. He worked for a Japanese newspaper around 20-25 years ago and investigated the Yakuza. Hopefully it's not too much of a spoiler that he is still alive and consulted heavily on this series. Very few well known actors in this as you would expect but equally brilliant production standards. I would have liked (and expected) at least 2 more episodes as the story stops too short. I assume season 2 is in the pipe line. 8/10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 00:29
The Midwich Cuckoos Season 1 2022 7 episodes

Adaption of the John Wyndham book by the guy who wrote the Night Manager. Pretty solid stuff with good lead actors on Keeley Hawes (Life On Mars) and Max Beesley . If you don't know already, it's about creepy children that seem to have abilities beyond the norm. All are 'conceived' during a black out in the small 'sleepy' English village. Can't say much other than it fully delivers what you expect, and maybe that's an issue. No surprises but a fun and occasionally gory watch. 7/10
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 01:50
Yes I also recently binge watched The Midwich Cuckoo's. It was imo a good contemporary version of the story.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 07:36
Currently watching The Boys, Obi Wan Kenobi & Mayans . Waiting for Better Call Saul & Stranger Things to come back.  In between we are Re-watching The Americans. 

Edited by Argo2112 - June 22 2022 at 07:36
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 11:45
Just finished The Midwich Cuckoos too. I enjoyed it but preferred the movie from the 60s. Currently watching Severance - brilliant and loving it.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 09:16
^ Glad you like Severance , certainly one of the shows I very much enjoyed in recent times. At the moment The Boys and For All Mankind are doing the business for me. 
Interested if anyone has an opinion on Halo. Paramount+ has just launched in the UK and I will likely subscribe to it at some point as they are investing heavily in sci-fi , my favorite genre while Netflix seem to have 'binned' all their sci-fi shows other than Stranger Things. When that's gone what then?

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 09:37
^^ Finished Severance last night. Absolutely brilliant and a big wow at the final episode. An intelligent sci-fi written, acted and directed (mainly Ben Stiller) superbly. Bring on the next series.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 11:01
Silverpoint (2022 - Season 1 / 13 Episodes - UK): A kids show that is better and more interesting than Stranger Things, and withal smarter than Dark. I'm most pleasantly surprised! Were I a British kid now, this would probably be my favourite "thing". 9/10

Edited by Archisorcerus - June 29 2022 at 11:12
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 11:20
I just finished watching the entire series of Ultimate Force - a four-season drama about the SAS (Special Air Service) starring Ross Kemp. The series is notable for having a woman (Heather Peace) qualify at SAS Selection for the very first time, where the mixed shower scene was the highlight of the show! Thumbs Up

The SAS motto:-  "Death is nature's way of telling you that you've failed Selection." Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 29 2022 at 11:24
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 16:20
I just finished watching the old British series "UFO". What a great, but unfortunately short-lived, show. I like it more than the subsequent longer lived  British science fiction series "Space 1999". 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 10:04
^ always been a big fan of that Doug. Its showed a good deal of subtle writing and ideas and was as good as any British sc-fi show with the notable exception of Quatermass. Space 1999 was originally conceived as a follow up to UFO and was going to be called UFO 1999 . For some reason it then changed. Never quite as good as UFO but I think they (The TV bosses) wanted something more akin to Star Trek which had become massively popular at the time. It has some fun moments and featured a black actor in a significant role on a British TV series for the first time (playing a doctor) so it had that milestone at least.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 10:12
Sherwood Season 1 6 episodes 2022

BBC drama about an area of Nottingham often called an 'Ex Mining Town'. Its significance is that the Nottingham miners broke the picket lines in the 80's strike. Notoriously many London Met Police officers were sent there to try and keep the peace. It got nasty with miners versus miners and the police in the middle. Because of these sort of incidents, the Police placed spies into the heart of the communities to try and identify the trouble makers. This drama takes the idea further that one such person could still be living in such a community like a modern day cuckoo. What if they even have a family and kids?
So that's the backdrop and premise to a very well crafted drama starring David Morrisey (Britannia and The Walking Dead) with some very sturdy support from Robert Glennister, Lesley Manville and others.
8/10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 10:22
going back to UFO , one of the stars was Wanda Ventham who also happens to be the mother of Benedict Cumberbatch!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 15:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ always been a big fan of that Doug. Its showed a good deal of subtle writing and ideas and was as good as any British sc-fi show with the notable exception of Quatermass. Space 1999 was originally conceived as a follow up to UFO and was going to be called UFO 1999 . For some reason it then changed. Never quite as good as UFO but I think they (The TV bosses) wanted something more akin to Star Trek which had become massively popular at the time. It has some fun moments and featured a black actor in a significant role on a British TV series for the first time (playing a doctor) so it had that milestone at least.
        Thanks, Richard. I've been a lifelong, huge fan of Star Trek (The Original Series) and I don't feel Space 1999-or any series for that matter-is in it's league. 
               It is a shame that UFO lead actor Ed Bishop did not bounce back all that well from the end of that series. (he actually ended up being a voice of an alien in the animated Star Trek briefly!-but not much else prominent in acting)
                 I think Bishop would have played a great James Bond, if he had been given the chance.
          I have been thinking of giving Space 1999 another chance; it has been quite a while since viewing it.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 16:25
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

[EDIT]
          I have been thinking of giving Space 1999 another chance; it has been quite a while since viewing it.
Martin Landau & Barbara Bain ROCK ! It was a natural transition from Thunderbirds to UFO to Space 1999 for this young lad.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 16:41
Don't be surprised if the realization sets in as you watch one tedious story after another, a cast of bellbottom-wearing actors struggling to get through tortured dialog, and another semi-religious encounter with a strange alien force, just how dull the show really was.   I have a few favorites, but overall... wow .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 20:25
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Don't be surprised if the realization sets in as you watch one tedious story after another, a cast of bellbottom-wearing actors struggling to get through tortured dialog, and another semi-religious encounter with a strange alien force, just how dull the show really was.   I have a few favorites, but overall... wow .
Certainly more noticeable at this old age than as a teen when it first aired. I had a tendency to gravitate (pun intended) to all things Sci-Fi back in the oldie times.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 20:56
I just finished watching the Miniseries Candy. I was quite annoyed with it, because all of the characters looked like other characters(ex. Alan Gore looks like Doug from Liberty Mutual and Candy's husband reminded me of someone from Soft Machine). Everyone looked goofy looking and had scenes that could have been cut out. It seemed like over-long meandering that was based off of a true story, but with so many departures. The Amadeus movie heavily departed from Mozart's life, but it was still very entertaining, Candy on the other hand annoyed me because of those frustrating characters and how ridiculous the story could be. I could say that the show looked quite stylish, but I could watch a movie with that(ex. Jacques Demy musicals and Wes Anderson). I enjoyed the first two episodes, but then the story just dragged to the point that I was in boredom, and did not really care what happened afterwards. I had to watch the third episode twice, and even then I did not remember it. 

It was forgettable, boring, annoying, stupid, and pretentious. I do not need to see it again. 
My Rating - 2
This show is for fans only. But who are the fans?

Edited by SuperMetro - June 30 2022 at 20:57
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 02:46
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Thanks, Richard. I've been a lifelong, huge fan of Star Trek (The Original Series) and I don't feel Space 1999-or any series for that matter-is in it's league. 
               It is a shame that UFO lead actor Ed Bishop did not bounce back all that well from the end of that series. (he actually ended up being a voice of an alien in the animated Star Trek briefly!-but not much else prominent in acting)
                 I think Bishop would have played a great James Bond, if he had been given the chance.

I have a the UFO DVD box set and Ed Bishop supplied a commentary for 2 of the episodes. I have the feeling he was very resentful of the critics treatment of the show which was not kind at all. He was a very good actor and deserved respect as were several on the show. I think that UFO was just too subtle at times. I remember a great episode (probably my favourite) starring George Cole (later in Minder) where he has been blackmailed into giving information to the aliens. He had to make good and did but it had a terribly sad ending. I remember the impact it had on me at the time. I love when sci-fi reaches you on an emotional level. Of course Space 1999 never had that and was frankly quite ridiculous but did have a great theme tune. if you watch the first minute they actually give all the highlights of the show so you don't even need to watch it LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 03:18
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Certainly more noticeable at this old age than as a teen when it first aired. I had a tendency to gravitate (pun intended) to all things Sci-Fi back in the oldie times.

Oh me too, I was there every Sunday for In Search Of followed by Space:1999 .   It was the only real sci-fi on the air.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 52>