Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ERRORS THREAD Report Errors and Omissions Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 497>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 15:51
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ OK, but "put yourself in my place. I'm the law and order" (c) - how we (E&O Team) can demand from non-collabs to provide full info if one collaborator writes "Instrumentation is not clear at the moment", another collab adds an album with empty track list etc?

After all we have guidelines (standard, policy) on adding albums and try to follow them as much as possible. Don't we?

Within the guidelines is this subsection of the Lineup/musicians section that addresses the issue specifically.

"....3.10 If there is no data in this section then it should contain the phrase "Not available at present, if you can help with the details, please contact the site"...."

I have not included those exact words when details are missing. Will do so in the future.

Many albums have no lineup listed. Except for a few outliers, I am confident that SC's are at least as diligent as I am. i.e. where info is not available on bandcamp, discogs, allmusic and so on, seeking album sleeve images where the information might be hidden, contacting the artist directly (done this myself countless times), etc. But many times nothing comes back. It is frustrating when adding expansive discographies to not have the pertinent info available. And don't get me started about the inability of artists to provide even the scantest of biographical info (which is sometimes what I have to depend on for "best guess" lineups).

The home page has this quasi-mission statement
"PROG ARCHIVES intends to be the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource."

With this statement in mind, it's my opinion that having a complete discography is the most important aspect to achieving that. As long as we have that INTENT of being complete and proceed with due diligence, none of us can really be expected to hold ourselves to a higher standard than the artists and publishers hold themselves. I know that sucks for the E&O team (you as the only SC now Shocked) who gets these correction requests on the back end. I will make an effort to look in and do corrections when I can. 

On the subject of no tracks displayed? That's an entirely different issue and I definitely feel that albums without that data should be left out until that info is available. Its really hard to claim an album even exists without any content whatsoever.

And I have also encountered albums with no track times, even on the album cover and label. I recently had an older album that only had a youtube "full album" and had to go in and find the beginning and ending of each track to obtain a total. I would not be too harsh toward someone leaving times out under those circumstances.

Anyway, this is just my take on the issue. I will ask the rest of the admin team to weigh in. 

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 18:30
^This is my opinion exactly.  We are surprisingly lacking at the moment when it comes to full discographies among the bands and musicians that are in our archives. 
I'm always more than willing to help out wherever possible, and I have always stated this.  Since I still find free time when I'm on this site, I use that going back over discographies and making them as updated as possible, but it's common sense not to add an album without an album cover or a track list.  Track times and instrumentation are important, but not always available, even in Discogs at times.  But these things can be entered later when that information is available. 

I'm also willing to help with the E&O team if you need it.  If I have the information and it's verifiable, I'm more than happy to do updates, and have done that from time to time as I run across something, but as of late, I have taken upon myself to get discographies updated and that has been my priority.  I decided on my own to do that, and if that is not the priority that I should be working on, then someone needs to let me know where I should be spending my free time.  In the meantime, since as of myself I value complete discographies in a music information website, that is what I have been doing.  That also seems to be the priority for any other music web site, getting the discography right and then the other info will follow hopefully.  I know that for one person, instrumentation might seem important.  For me, I get frustrated when an album doesn't have a release date or at least the year somewhere in the description, but I know that is only my own personal preference and isn't as important as other information.  Yes instrumentation is important, but it isn't always readily available and we can't sit and wait to enter an album until that info is available because many times it doesn't become available until months or even years after an album release.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, I'm just doing what I feel is right, but I'll do whatever needs to be done to help make this the best resource for Progressive Music information.  And if you need help here, I'm willing to do that when I can.

Edited by TCat - May 21 2020 at 18:38

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 20:05
^^ Thanks, guys, I think it was a helpful discussion. Handshake
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Xymph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xymph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 03:31
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=69169: Thanks for approving the addition, but the total time still needs computing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 10:59
^ Thanks, done.

By the way, there is a nice utility calculating totals: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101257&KW=&PID=5140603#5140603

Working link to historian9's utility (v1.3)https://mega.nz/#!J9kmiKhC!b_auuURtu9UNqkbtGVIuaAy0yIeGNoJbqOxXCDV-BD8
It seems many PA members still don't know such feature exists.

Additionally - the line-up needed formatting, also added kinds of media (CD, LP, Digital).Smile

Edited by NotAProghead - May 23 2020 at 11:20
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 15:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 17:50
^ Thanks, reported to Admins.
indiscipline200 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiscipline200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 18:58
Concerning Ayreon's the Electric Castle Live (and other tales)
Here's the artist list:

Vocalists
John de Lancie – Narrator
Fish  – Highlander
Simone Simons  – Indian
Damian Wilson  – Knight
Edwin Balogh – Roman
Anneke van Giersbergen – Egyptian
John Jaycee Cuijpers – Barbarian
Arjen Anthony Lucassen – Hippie
Edward Reekers – Futureman
George Oosthoek – Death
Mark Jansen  - Death
Marcela Bovio - Backing vocals, lead vocals on "Out in the Real World"
Dianne van Giersbergen - Backing vocals
Jan Willem Ketelaers - Backing vocals
Robert Soeterboek - Vocals on "Songs of the Ocean"
Michael Mills - TH-1 (recorded intro to Other Tales section)
Rutger Hauer - Voight Kampff (recorded intro to "Pink Beatles in a Purple Zeppelin")

Instrumentalists
Ed Warby – drums
Marcel Singor – lead guitar
Ferry Duijsens – guitar
Bob Wijtsma  – guitar
Johan van Stratum – bass
Joost van den Broek – keyboards
Ben Mathot – violin
Jurriaan Westerveld – cello
Thijs van Leer  – flute
Robby Valentine - piano on "Robby Valentine" and "The Mirror Maze"
Arjen Anthony Lucassen - guitar on "Songs of the Ocean"

Edited by indiscipline200 - May 23 2020 at 19:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 00:01
^ Thanks, done.

Now I've found the confirmation, but in future confirming links would be heplful.

Edited by NotAProghead - May 24 2020 at 00:24
Xymph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xymph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 02:14
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

By the way, there is a nice utility calculating totals: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101257&KW=&PID=5140603#5140603

Working link to historian9's utility (v1.3)https://mega.nz/#!J9kmiKhC!b_auuURtu9UNqkbtGVIuaAy0yIeGNoJbqOxXCDV-BD8
It seems many PA members still don't know such feature exists.
Yes, that was pointed out before, but as I mentioned at the time, that forum isn't accessible and I don't really feel like installing a utility I almost never need. The E&O team is doing a fine job there.

Edited by Xymph - May 24 2020 at 02:17
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:44
Well since my colleagues on the JF team don't want to respond i'll pose this question here. How do we handle erroneous rejections of bands that clearly should be here and are universally accepted as prog rock but they fell between the cracks in the evaluation department? If the intent of this site is to be the most complete database of progressive rock ever then shouldn't we make the extra effort to reexamin any potential artists especially if half the team is in favor of it? Is this something the admins can check out and chime in about?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:12
^ I think this question would be better noticed in Collaborators area.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 12:53
Originally posted by Xymph Xymph wrote:

I don't really feel like installing a utility I almost never need. The E&O team is doing a fine job there.
Quite a long time ago, before this utility appeared, I calculated totals manually when adding albums. Stimulates to refresh knowledges from elementary school. Smile 
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 13:21
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=69223

This what happens when someone doesn't know how to do additions
it's not a studio album but an EP and the name is Howlaround not Howlaround EP

1. The Numbers Station (2:52)
2. Time and Space (2:36)
3. This is Uranus Calling (3:08)

Total Time 8:36

- Dave Francis / all instruments

Format: Digital (Free on Bandcamp)
May 24, 2020

1. Temple of the Moon / The Golden Dawn (7:21)
2. Time and Space (2:36)
3. Yuri Gagarin Suite (7:55)
4. Modular Jam (Live) (26:24)
5. The Numbers Station (2:52)

Total Time  47:08

- Dave Francis / synths, sax
- John Francis / guitars

Format: Digital
April 19, 2020
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 14:12
^ Thanks, Mayer, both done.

Let's close our eyes to the way Dave adds albums, because it's his own music. He's much better with instruments than with album guidelines. Smile 

By the way, I'll ask him which "Omnivac" cover is correct - the current one or what we see on bandcamp.
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 08:01
https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=69142

1. Last Train (5:09)
2. Water Drops (4:13)
3. Step by Step (4:17)
4. Coffee Break (4:38)
5. Noises (Pt's 1-3) (5:48)
6. Mediterraneo (6:08)
7. Inquietanti Presenze (6:10)
8. Nektar (5:11)
9. Pandemonio (4:26)
10. Rimorsi e Rimpianti (5:15)
11. Fine delle Trasmissioni (4:29)

Total Time  55:44
Better Clear Cover

- E&O Team: Thanks, done.

Edited by NotAProghead - May 26 2020 at 14:16
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 08:42
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=69240

1. Portrait (8:36)
2. Circus in Town (4:55)
3. Moth in a Flame (7:48)
4. The Eternal Spinning (6:52)
5. The Siren's Song (6:49)
6. Secret of the Sea (3:58)
7. Boat to Utopia (7:55)
8. A Drone's Plight (4:37)
9. The Eye of the Storm (5:52)
10. Lullaby (5:23)

Total Time  62:45

- Hansi Arnold / Drums, Vocals
- Ottfried Mietzke / Guitars, Keyboards, Orchestral Arrangements
- Gunnar Sletta / Keyboards, Add.Guitars, Vocals
- Jörg Piron / Vocals

Format: Digital
May 25, 2020

- E&O Team: Thanks, Mayer, done.

Edited by NotAProghead - May 26 2020 at 14:23
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 08:45
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=69240

Album title "The Fragile Beauty"

- E&O Team: Thanks, done.

Edited by NotAProghead - May 26 2020 at 14:26
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 09:00
Album without cover art, here:

But I struggle to find one...

The closest I have been is:
or

- E&O Team: See posts below.

Edited by NotAProghead - May 26 2020 at 14:45
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 09:08
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=60879

https://breeze10.bandcamp.com/album/lost-in-space

The correct order of songs and there are 11 songs not 10

- E&O Team: Thanks, Mayer, done.

Edited by NotAProghead - May 26 2020 at 14:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 497>