Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 278279280281282 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 01:57
Traveller, I'm pretty sure there was actually TWO threads started about Francesco's passing! They might have been merged together by now, though.

Thanks for the tip-off about that live album, Jim/AEP!

Actually, I'll ask the regulars in here....other than the classic defining early albums, and that instrumental one with the tomato on the front (total mental blank on the name, and too lazy to walk to the backroom and dig it out!), what other Banco albums are special to you that you would recommend I look in to? I'd especially be interested to know about later 70's/early 80's ones?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 07:10
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Actually, I'll ask the regulars in here....other than the classic defining early albums, and that instrumental one with the tomato on the front (total mental blank on the name, and too lazy to walk to the backroom and dig it out!), what other Banco albums are special to you that you would recommend I look in to? I'd especially be interested to know about later 70's/early 80's ones?

I can't be much of a help here, I'm one of the fans of the tomato album (Di Terra...) I think it's really good. Other than that I have the next one as well (canto Di Primavera) which is good but not that exciting. I like it and still play it sometimes, check out the first track out of the album (can't remember the name) it's really good and I remember posting it here in the past.
Never checked further more.
I gotta make a Banco marathon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 07:26
Thank you, Sagi! I wasn't actually bad-mouthing that `tomato' album! It's just that sometimes I play it and I find it very lovely, then other times it bores me no end!

That's it, I'm going to play it on my shift tonight!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 07:42
I know exactly what you mean, but I still like it very much and every time. But is that some top notch playing or what??
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 07:51
It's been a while since I last played it, so I'll let you know soon lol! I'm just halfway through a 3 hour ambient music podcast, so the "Tomato" is ready to go right after that!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 09:23
The first three Banco Albums are top of the heap, absolute must haves.

COME IN UN'ULTIMA CENA is only slightly less good and still highly recommended (there is an english version "As in a last Supper")

CANTO DI PRIMAVERA is still a very good album just calmer and more melodic.

Both instrumental albums GAROFANO ROSSO and ..di Terra (the Tomato one) are very good, but I would have liked to hear Francesco. I find it
hard to believe that they didn't use one of the best vocalists in the world.

From there on:
SEGUENDO LE TRACCE: a brilliant live Album from their classic Phase
No Palco: A very good modern day live Album
En Concierto Mexico: Very close to No Palco
Donna Plautilla: Very early recordings before Francesco entered. (I don't know this one)
Nudo: Very good live stuff with a new studio suite "Nudo" (very good!)
Banco: The "english" Album, this one has two otherwise not aviable tracks (so it can be still recommended)

The first two album where rerecorded in the early 90s. I like them,
but if you are into vintage Keyboards stay away.

Last but not least there is the Darwin box set with a recent live performance of Darwin.

The 80s Albums of Banco are really terrible, so stay away.

P.S. "Non mettere le dita nel naso" rather a solo album by Francesco
(but featuring Banco)is really nice Pop music (absolutley no Prog)

Il 13 the last studio album is accaptable but rather Pop/AOR and only very few Prog moments (but it's not as teribble as the 80s Albums where)

Edited by TheH - February 23 2014 at 09:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 09:40
OK, Sagi, it's called `…Di Terra'! You are spot on, the playing is exceptional, and the album is mostly all uphill once you get past that stuffy orchestral intro piece. It's got quite a sinister hint of menace and danger (all those evil Rick Wright/Sisyphus piano stabs are hypnotic!), as well as some briefly ambient passages, nice jazzy/fusion runs, psychedelic touches, even some snarling Zeuhl bass too!

A really fine album, I'll make sure to play it more often from now on! I picked it up on CD almost a year ago for a few dollars, and it's been quite ignored until now.

Thanks, H! Of course I have the first three classics, so thanks for some other suggestions on where to head next!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 10:10
Some links to explore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gwzOjq3g1g (Canto)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-bx1jvyUCc (Garofano)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=140sRbryBHw (Nudo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YISBOS7mgrI (Banco (Manticore))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INZUSrytMko (seguendo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ECfg1ZG4NE (Il 13)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1IZaNgPsc4 (Non mettere..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiUVyT58f8M (Buone Notizie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIrveEhCnhE (capolinea (the disco style live one)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 11:21
Thank you for your effort, H! I'll work through that list when I get home and report back!

I am actually very interested to hear how the band sounded in the 80's/pop years!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 12:19
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

The first three Banco Albums are top of the heap, absolute must haves.

COME IN UN'ULTIMA CENA is only slightly less good and still highly recommended (there is an english version "As in a last Supper")

CANTO DI PRIMAVERA is still a very good album just calmer and more melodic.

Both instrumental albums GAROFANO ROSSO and ..di Terra (the Tomato one) are very good, but I would have liked to hear Francesco. I find it
hard to believe that they didn't use one of the best vocalists in the world.

From there on:
SEGUENDO LE TRACCE: a brilliant live Album from their classic Phase
No Palco: A very good modern day live Album
En Concierto Mexico: Very close to No Palco
Donna Plautilla: Very early recordings before Francesco entered. (I don't know this one)
Nudo: Very good live stuff with a new studio suite "Nudo" (very good!)
Banco: The "english" Album, this one has two otherwise not aviable tracks (so it can be still recommended)

The first two album where rerecorded in the early 90s. I like them,
but if you are into vintage Keyboards stay away.

Last but not least there is the Darwin box set with a recent live performance of Darwin.

The 80s Albums of Banco are really terrible, so stay away.

P.S. "Non mettere le dita nel naso" rather a solo album by Francesco
(but featuring Banco)is really nice Pop music (absolutley no Prog)

Il 13 the last studio album is accaptable but rather Pop/AOR and only very few Prog moments (but it's not as teribble as the 80s Albums where)

Great summary, my friend!

I would only add that Donna Plautilla has songs from their Beat period and includes only the Nocenzi brothers (Vittorio is the vocalist!) from the lineup of the first album. The tracks are really good Beat tracks that give some hints of the compositional excellence to come. In fact the song Bla, Bla, Bla has the la la la melody they later used in Non Mi Rompete! Very cool. I love to see how bands and songs evolve.

Along those same lines, I love the archival recordings Live and Papagayo Club from 1971 and 1972 respectively. The sound quality is horrible, but again you can hear evolution, and there's even a song on the Live album called Polifonia that was never recorded in the studio to my knowledge. These aren't as good as Seguendo, but shouldn't be overlooked by Banco fans.

Edit: Polifonia is one of the demos released in the Quaranta package. I'll have to break that out! It's sitting shrinkwrapped on my shelf.

Edited by Todd - February 23 2014 at 12:27
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 18:27
Thank you,

the three demos on Quaranta are very reduced piano pieces and not
really played by Banco (but I like them). So I think Polifonia will sound very different on Live '71. Never heared this one and I can't find it.

I heared Papagayo Club but decided not to buy it, it's also on YouTube
and I think it's just of historical interest.

There was a "Banco del mutuo Soccorso" 12" with three early tracks
released 1989 which also had the la la la part. The song had a different
Name (but might be the same)

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 03:54

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Donna Plautilla (album completo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzQWmM5O6E0
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 09:21
Enjoying the heck out of this tonight at work, really digging how dirty the bass is, nice heavy guitars, punchy drumming too and powerful vocals too! Shame about that unforgiveble fade-out on the end of the first track! I forgot what a bit of a classic this one is!

Terrific band! They remind me a little of Biglietto Per L'Inferno?

Update - Actually, as I listen through it all, it's really a mix of harder rock with classy and sophisticated peices too, very romantic flavour to the vocals and atmospheres

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - February 25 2014 at 09:39
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 10:23
Oh definitely a great album!! Lots to enjoy on this one but one thing that I really like about it is the drumming and the drum sound, especially the toms!

Good one Mike!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 10:29
It's a bit of a personal classic to me, Sagi! Just short and sweet and no bad tracks, with a really nice production that isn't afraid to turn on the grit and noise every now and then! Porbably a really good album for newcomers to RPI, it's pretty easy to get your head around.

Sometimes the vocals make me laugh, the singer is a bit of a show-pony! Just listen to his inmprovised scat-vocals on the quick final track! Sometimes I think "OK, buddy, we get it, you can sing!'

I'm going back listening to some albums I haven't played in years, right now I'm half way through Pholas Dactylus `Concerto Dello Menti' again!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 10:41
Oh I love the scat part! and although not in the same vein as the album I also like the bonus tracks, short but enjoyable.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 13:16
I love that JET Album, as it was one of my early RPI discoveries.

They actually never broke up. They noticed that they could use a better
vocalist and hired Antonella "Matia" Ruggiero. They also fired their drummer und got the drummer of Museo Rosenbach.

As they noticed that "Matia" was much better known as they where,
they changed their name to "Matia Bazar".

Sadly they also changed their style completly:
(but Antonella sure has some amazing pipes and she ain't really ugly too)

Edited by TheH - February 25 2014 at 13:22
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 13:48
Some tracks by Matia bazar that are worth listening to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqhqctjeeYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwE8GcoqEfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcEb-D13jgY

Edited by andrea - February 25 2014 at 13:52
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 14:24
The tracks in italian of that first album are quite good.

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 14:39
^^

Thank you Andrea,

I loved those tracks, they didn't forget their past completly.
(they should have Antonella "cut loose" more often)

I always liked Cavallo Bianco (White Horse)

A "solo" version from Antonella with some special backing band

Some more cover versions with new vocalist Roberta Faccani (a rock chic)

Do you recognise these??? (of course you do)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su6U6cZHtjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWD5-KstYZo

Edited by TheH - February 25 2014 at 14:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 278279280281282 358>