Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 279280281282283 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 16:39
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Lost Trident Sessions (It surely deserves a place with their classic albums)
Agreed! Glad you like it. Smile

Agitation Free - Malesch (Midle-Eastern Floyd? Tongue)
Just got this myself, but haven't listened to it yet. Plan to soon though. Floyd you say? Confused Hope it's more Middle Eastern than Floyd. Not very big on PF.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - November 09 2014 at 16:45
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 16:50
It has some psychedelic moods that sometimes reminds of early Floyd, but that can be said about many Krautrock albums, right? It has an identity of his own, though Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 17:01
IQ - Frequency
Heliopolis - City of the Sun (Very nice new Symphonic album, where the singer sounds like Geddy Lee Tongue)
Genesis - Trespass

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 17:06

It has some psychedelic moods that sometimes reminds of early Floyd, but that can be said about many Krautrock albums, right? It has an identity of his own, though Smile
Yeah, I think early Floyd was an inspiration to a lot of Krautrock bands. Was only half joking. I like PF, a bit anyway.

Very much looking forward to hearing that AF album, haven't listened to them before. Found it in a used CD store. Not something you'd expect to find in a used CD shop in Norway (although it's from the same shop I've gotten all my ADII albums), so I was well pleased. Big smile

Edited by The Bearded Bard - November 09 2014 at 17:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 17:17
Nice find! I listened to that one because I'm a newbie on Krautrock and I'm listening to the top albums: it's probably there for a reason Tongue
I never saw any Krautrock album on any shop here but I went to Spain last month and visited two stores and both had a great selection of it Stern Smile
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 12:37
Genesis - Duke
Peter Gabriel - #3
The Who - Quadrophenia
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 17:09
Anna Sjalv Tredge - Tussilago Fanfara (The cousin of Rubycon and Stratosfear Tongue)
Pink Floyd - The Endless River (Absolutely love it! It's instrumental and really spacey, what's for me not to like? Big smile)
Kansas - Audio-Visions (Barely no Prog on this one, but if seen as an AOR album, it's quite good)
Canvas Solaris - Sublimation
Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Good to see that Hackett still does great Prog in this decade. The classical guitar work is really impressive and there are some gorgeous moments on this one Thumbs Up

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 00:41
Glad you found the Floyd, Sam, I assume it's everywhere now! I'm on about my fifth listen so far. I'll be off to buy the Bluray version over the next week or so.

For my own listening the last day or two:

F.E.M. - Epsilon, Sulla Bolla di Sapone
Logos - L'engima della Vita
Jumbo - Vietato ai Minori di 18 Anni
Pink Floyd - The Endless River
Yuku & Chronoship - Dino Rocket Oxygen (such a modern symphonic beauty!)
Yes - Heaven and Earth
Frumpy - 2
Hoelderlin - s/t
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 17:44
^ Yes, I brought from the store a very nice 2 LP copy Wink
In terms of store promotion (continuing  our conversation), they had a big shelf with the whole discography and a really big poster of the new album and the clerk said they sold a lot of Floyd that day. No inflatable pig though Tongue

Thanks you for reminding me of that Y&C album. I was going to listen to that one a few months ago but forgot about it.

Not much Prog today:
Vangelis - Antartica (Far from his best work but it's an enjoyable album. I liked the Mellotron on 'Life of Antartica': I don't recall him using one of those on any album Ermm)
Diabo na Cruz - s/t (A more adventurous release from this fine Folk Indie Rock band with better keyboard work)
Tim Wheeler - Lost Domain (A quite depressive concept album about grief. At least the last stages were more optimistic and the music was better)
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 18:20
I must have drifted with the "Waterless River" 6 times already, and now i am recording it on a cassette, which means it's flowing again :) .. can't help it, sorry. 

Otherwise: Bebo (RIPCry) is a sweetheart and his 2x CD Suita Cubana is a delicacy, when trimmed down to 45'. Cheiro d. V. is nothing special, but it doesn't stink either, but the Vortex is a pure gem 

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 18:27
The Atom Heart Mother.
The Body.
Lock up the Wolves - Dio

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 19:39
Have the day off today!

Skinny Puppy--Last Rights
Skinny Puppy-- remission
Threshold--Critical Energy (DVD concert)
YES--Keys To Ascension (Disc 1&4)
Pink Floyd--Animals
Threshold--Dead Reckoning
Threshold--For The Journey
Hibernal--Replacements
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 06:10
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Have the day off today!

Nick, good to see you! I'm dying to know what you think of the new Pink Floyd album!

Cool you've been spinning the `Keys to Ascension' albums lately, many seem to really dig the studio albums on that set! I bought those CD's yeeeeears ago, haven't listened to them in a while now.

My week of leave is locked in...in three days, `ABB's Week of Proh' begins, I've got those two TDream and one Yes show over five days!

I wonder what the first TDream concert setlist will include?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 06:26
I've enjoyed a full morning of reading, doing the dishes and all those little irritating things that need to be dealt with at some point during the year. Well it also meant a lot of musicBig smile

Baron - Illegitimate Nephew (an offshoot of Diagonal)
Perfect Beings - s/t
Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io (Man I need to get this!!!! Without a doubt the best new music I've heard all year)
Agusa - Högtid
Flying Lotus - You're Dead!
Brotherhood Of The Machine - Trip Hazard (DaveSax from the forum's project. Fantastic album)
O Corvo Mudo - Linhas (Portuguese newcomers with a bootful of ZING. There's some Floyd in there, but from there on it's anybody's guess: fusion, electronic, symph, RPP (Rock Progressivo Portuguese))
Goat - Commune
IQ - The Road Of Bones (Hmmm..... while I do enjoy the more natural warmth of the different synths and organs, this still sounds remarkably close to everything from 'Ever' and onwards - maybe with the exception of Frequency where they seemed to have hit upon a new a sharper attack with drummer Andy Edwards. Maybe it's Nicoll's vocals that's doing this, but I feel like I've heard The Road Of Bones several times before.)

Now I'm listening to Beardfish' The Void.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 06:31
Oh and I'm wildly jealous of you Michael!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Maybe this will offer up a hint of what's in store for you at the TD gigsWink but then again they did the whole Sorcerer soundtrack in Copenhagen earlier in the year, so nothing is set in stone methinks. 
Have fun my friend! 

P.S. Do me a favour and yell for 'Atem' as an encoreBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 06:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Oh and I'm wildly jealous of you Michael!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Maybe this will offer up a hint of what's in store for you at the TD gigsWink but then again they did the whole Sorcerer soundtrack in Copenhagen earlier in the year, so nothing is set in stone methinks. 
Have fun my friend! 

P.S. Do me a favour and yell for 'Atem' as an encoreBig smile

Dave, the second TDream show (which will be next Thursday) is them playing the `Sorcerer' soundtrack live at a local cinema, so I'm really looking forward to that!

Would love if I could get one or two of my vinyls signed at that second show, I'll report back how I go!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 06:46
Sweet. Be sure to do that. 
Btw i just saw that Froese and co released a live album from Vienna with the full Sorcerer show. It even states 'for those of you who missed Copenhagen...'AngryCryLOL

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 07:54
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Have the day off today!

Nick, good to see you! I'm dying to know what you think of the new Pink Floyd album!

Cool you've been spinning the `Keys to Ascension' albums lately, many seem to really dig the studio albums on that set! I bought those CD's yeeeeears ago, haven't listened to them in a while now.

My week of leave is locked in...in three days, `ABB's Week of Proh' begins, I've got those two TDream and one Yes show over five days!

I wonder what the first TDream concert setlist will include?

TD Michael!! Mannnnnn! Like Dave said, "extremely jealous of you.' Those TD shows are gonna be fantastic and you deserve it. ;) wonder what they will open with? Song of the Whale pt 1&2??
Have a great time and its great to see ya too. I have another day--off today. When suppliers screw up orders/materials I need to complete my work it just means I can hide out in music land a little longer.

Up early today (not doing chores like you though (Dave) screw that.
I'm doing my best impression of a vegetable today.

Savatage--Streets : A Rock Opera (say what you want about these guys but they nailed it with this album and Gutter Ballet. ;)
YES--Keys To Ascension ( YES Michael! This is a truly amazing box set along with the 1996 studio recordings. Children of Light is beautiful. Also, on the DVD I die laughing because of what the hell he is wearing!! Lol man that guy loves his psychedelics. ;)
Pink Floyd---The Final Cut ( I have to wait a bit till I get the endless river in the mail, so just revisiting some of the classics before its arrival. Gonna crank it in full surround sound. ;)
Pink Floyd--Meddle ( how lovely. Just lovely except for those damn dogs howling. Lol)
Collage--Moonshine ( I still cannot get over how amazing this album is. Goosebumps every time I crank this Prog gem. Highly reccomend this to everyone here. ;)
Ozric Tentacles--Curious Corn.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 16:55
Michael, I can't think of a better week. Enjoy and please share your experience of those concerts Cool

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io (Man I need to get this!!!! Without a doubt the best new music I've heard all year)
O Corvo Mudo - Linhas (Portuguese newcomers with a bootful of ZING. There's some Floyd in there, but from there on it's anybody's guess: fusion, electronic, symph, RPP (Rock Progressivo Portuguese))
I have to listen to that Kayo Dot album, there are too many references to it in here lately.
Never heard of that portuguese band but now I intend to. I'm discovering greater portuguese music in here than in any national media: they all suck Dead Small correction: Rock Progressivo Português Tongue

Pink Floyd--Meddle ( how lovely. Just lovely except for those damn dogs howling. Lol)

You just reminded me of when my dog started to bark at that music and suddenly ran off to save Seamus. I couldn't stop laughing LOL

Edited by Meltdowner - November 13 2014 at 16:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 03:34

TD Michael!! Mannnnnn! Like Dave said, "extremely jealous of you.' Those TD shows are gonna be fantastic and you deserve it. ;) wonder what they will open with? Song of the Whale pt 1&2??

YES--Keys To Ascension ( YES Michael! This is a truly amazing box set along with the 1996 studio recordings. Children of Light is beautiful. Also, on the DVD I die laughing because of what the hell he is wearing!! Lol man that guy loves his psychedelics. ;)

Nick, funny you mention the `Whale', because looking at several of their setlists over the last few months of 2014, most of the shows are the same, and they DO perform `Song of the Whale - part 1' a few tracks in! Cannot wait, hopefully they'll project some whales on a screen behind them and I'll get a photo of it for you!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that `Keys' DVD! Anderson is kind of in priest robes, yeah, with big white running shoes as well?!

Listening for the last two days:

Anekdoten - A Time of Day
Hostsonaten - Winterthrough
Djam Karet - Regenerator 3017
Nodo Gordiano - Nous
Kosmos - Salattu Maailma
The Flower Kings - Banks of Eden, Retropolis
Monarch Trail - Skye
Sensations' Fix - Finest Finger, Portable Madness, Music is Painting in the Air (compilation).
Tangerine Dream - Underwater Sunlight, Rubycon

For today's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 279280281282283 511>