Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 15:16
Random statement......I still enjoy Time Line. Can’t see why it’s so allegedly ‘poor’ .....
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 21:02
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

A good example of how a bad (should I say lousy) recording can absolutely wreck perception of a performance.

I found this same performance elsewhere in good quality audio.  This - and pretty much the entire concert - has Annie and the band pulling out all stops but if you listen to the vid above, you would hear a trainwreck.  Somebody's even left a comment asking if anything's in tune.  Turns out nothing's wrong with the performance, but everything possible with the recording.  Guess Peter Barron was the drummer here, and he did some wonderful work throughout the show, very lively.

does the other version of the same performance omit the very powerful last few minutes as well?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 21:06
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Random statement......I still enjoy Time Line. Can’t see why it’s so allegedly ‘poor’ .....

random statements are the lifeblood of this cosy group.  I like the way a lot of the songs start but most seem to run out of steam.  But really, I would have loved the alternate reality where Renaissance hit it big commercially with their 80s work and PA would be full of endless threads about how they sold out and denounced their proggy work.  Then they would be inducted into the RRHOF and we would look for any crumb to suggest that they made it in as much for their early ambitious work as their big hits.  OK, back to reality.  It's been great to see them continue to perform the old work for so many years before decent sized audiences in relatively intimate venues.

Edited by kenethlevine - December 18 2018 at 21:06
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 01:45
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

A good example of how a bad (should I say lousy) recording can absolutely wreck perception of a performance.

I found this same performance elsewhere in good quality audio.  This - and pretty much the entire concert - has Annie and the band pulling out all stops but if you listen to the vid above, you would hear a trainwreck.  Somebody's even left a comment asking if anything's in tune.  Turns out nothing's wrong with the performance, but everything possible with the recording.  Guess Peter Barron was the drummer here, and he did some wonderful work throughout the show, very lively.

does the other version of the same performance omit the very powerful last few minutes as well?

It's the full song and right where this video ends, the audience keeps clapping mid song, probably overwhelmed by the intensity of Annie's singing. She really gets the intensity right in this one, which I don't think even the studio cut quite had. The encore is yet another incredible rendition of Ashes are burning. Heck, I really dislike Fairies and I enjoyed the performance of that song in this show because the band performed it with so much gusto. Must have been so demoralizing for them to play the heck out off the songs on the stage and still find themselves sinking commercially. On a more positive tone, I wish the concert would be officially released. It's one of their best shows, no kidding. Has Camera Camera the song (with Annie's looong sustained notes provoking audible gasps from the crowd) and she even nails the screams of Jigsaw, later giggling and admitting that this one does tire her out a bit. You wouldn't notice any tiredness from the audio!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 11:15

It's the full song and right where this video ends, the audience keeps clapping mid song, probably overwhelmed by the intensity of Annie's singing. She really gets the intensity right in this one, which I don't think even the studio cut quite had. The encore is yet another incredible rendition of Ashes are burning. Heck, I really dislike Fairies and I enjoyed the performance of that song in this show because the band performed it with so much gusto. Must have been so demoralizing for them to play the heck out off the songs on the stage and still find themselves sinking commercially. On a more positive tone, I wish the concert would be officially released. It's one of their best shows, no kidding. Has Camera Camera the song (with Annie's looong sustained notes provoking audible gasps from the crowd) and she even nails the screams of Jigsaw, later giggling and admitting that this one does tire her out a bit. You wouldn't notice any tiredness from the audio!

would you mind sending the link?  I'm guessing it approximates the setlist of the concert I saw in 1982 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 11:57

Well Tom, the band plays well and Annie still sings great on it. Imho, its the weak songs on Time Line that causes the album to suffer. Not the fact that the songs are "pop" or "commercial". Jon Camp was a very trite lyricist at times and some of his worst were on that particular album, unfortunately.
The bottom line is just enjoy it. Music is a singular experience most of the time so no worries. Ok mate?

Edited by SteveG - December 19 2018 at 11:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 12:03
Flight and the Entertainer are both excellent songs, and there are a few others I like, but the bad ones are really bad.  yes Camp wasn't at his best lyrically here.  But his lyrics on "Opening Out" and "Day of the Dreamer" showed what he was capable of.  It didn't hurt that the music on ASFAS was so beautiful and the sound the best of any of their studio albums 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 13:11
Well at least you folks appreciate Time Line for what it is. I suppose the disappointment is how much ‘better’ it could have been. Only Richard the IX is lame for me. Camp makes up for his lyrical weakness with, as always, stellar bass playing. And yes, Flight is a beauty.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 15:52

Well at least you folks appreciate Time Line for what it is. I suppose the disappointment is how much ‘better’ it could have been. Only Richard the IX is lame for me. Camp makes up for his lyrical weakness with, as always, stellar bass playing. And yes, Flight is a beauty.

actually Richard the IX is kinda fun for me

Distant Horizons starts off so beautifully and they don't really take it anywhere from there unfortunately, neither from a pop nor a prog perspective
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 17:04
^ Same with the first tune on side 2 - Camp is OUTSTANDING on the bass but it goes into a poppy sort of swing groove. Distant Horizons is a goodie !! And Annie looks pretty foxy on the cover (I think.....)

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 19 2018 at 17:04
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 12:44
I absolutely love them. I can see why people might say that they are incredibly serious, but in all honesty that is probably one of the main reasons why I love so much. The 'light hearted' or 'comedy' song on other artist albums have always been the one I skip.

"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 22:46
I don't think anybody here dislikes them for being serious else we wouldn't be Renaissance fans. The discussion early in the thread was simply speculation over what stopped them from greater success. Always thought the dead serious approach to songwriting was at odds with Annie's personality but it's alright because she poured heart and soul into the songs regardless.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2019 at 21:20
Well, Ren is ALSO celebrating 50 years from the first album (apart from Strawbs) and they have asked what songs would you like to hear live.  In the spirit of that question, what's the one track - apart from the staples - you would really like to hear performed.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2019 at 22:13
Okichi-San. I love Camera Camera, just an all round great early-80’s Prog-Pop album.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 04:56
Rare guest appearance in this thread... I love Camera Camera to pieces and a performance of Tyrant-Tula certainly would excite me (has anyone here seen that one played live?) - still my number one would probably be Running Hard.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 07:00
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Rare guest appearance in this thread... I love Camera Camera to pieces and a performance of Tyrant-Tula certainly would excite me (has anyone here seen that one played live?) - still my number one would probably be Running Hard.

Haven't seen it but have heard two live performances of it where Annie adds an extra vocal hi-jinx.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 08:57
So we finally have Renaissance react videos in keeping with the current trend.  Some gent with a strange youtube id has done interesting analysis of Black Flame and Golden Key.  Though his lyrical takeaway from Black Flame is not only weird but way off too. Thatcher herself said the lyrics were about the Vietnam war though in a kind of Crime and Punishment light and not a straightforward critique of the war itself.  Her lyrics were rarely straightforward but I digress.

Interesting point he makes about the re-capitulation of the intro at the end of each chorus in Golden Key.  Also agree that Tout was better on piano than on synth.  He also says he prefers Gosling on synth.  I would go all the way and say Gosling was a better keyboardist, period, a 'real' prog keyboardist who could improvise on the spot but it's not very evident perhaps from the Camera Camera album (a better illustration is comparing how he plays that short piano passage just after the interlude and before Annie resumes vocals on Day of the Dreamer vis a vis how Tout used to play it).  Barron was also a real rocking drummer though he could be found wanting in Sullivan's gentle touch in those moments when it was most needed.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 11:44

Well, Ren is ALSO celebrating 50 years from the first album (apart from Strawbs) and they have asked what songs would you like to hear live.  In the spirit of that question, what's the one track - apart from the staples - you would really like to hear performed.

sorry been away from the thread a bit.  For me definitely "On the Frontier" comes to mind first.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 11:46

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Haven't seen it but have heard two live performances of it where Annie adds an extra vocal hi-jinx.

when I saw them in Ottawa on the Camera Camera tour, Tyrant Tula had been getting a load of radio airplay so in my imagination they played it live, but set lists from that period don't corroborate with my distant memory

Edited by kenethlevine - March 18 2019 at 11:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 11:48

it coincides approximately with the time I saw them in 1982, and it was a superb show that had me and my Annie stricken dorm mates in awe for days, especially Ashes are Burning!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>