Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite prog album, Least favorite song.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tailings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 12:54
These sort of absolutes are tough.

Fave classic prog rock album?  Coin toss: _Close to the Edge_ or _Wish You Were Here_.  Least favorite track from either: That would be _And You And I_ or _Have A Cigar_.  

But that really is like saying my pinkie is my least favorite finger, yet my hand is not complete without it.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 03:07
I am not quite sure what my favourite album is so I pick four that I love (not necessarily my most massive favorite ones)
Cardiacs On Land And In The Sea: The Leader Of The Starry Skies
Genesis Foxtrot: Watcher Of The Skies (Horizon not counted as proper song)
Nursery Cryme would be even tougher: weakest spot is somewhere on hogweed, but no song is expendable for the concept
Pawn Hearts: Lemmings (But thats a 10/10 all the way track)
A Passion Play: Lucifers Song or something like that
This Heat Deceit: Independence
soft machine: slightly all the time
Can Tago Mago: Mushroom 
Crack The Sky: Mind Baby
Bubblemath - SFPOTU: She´s No Vegetarian

Sorry I went a little overboard.

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 06:38
Dark Side Of The Moon is a great album....and yet I never feel that Money "fits" the style of the rest of the album.....
oka22 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oka22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 03:01
It's hard to find my favourite album so I choose two
Going for the One -title track
Godbluff -Arrow
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clepsydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 15:14
Close To The Edge (all Great!)
&
Brave (Lap Of Luxury)
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 18:26
The Dark Side of the Moon (an easy one, I know), but picking a least favourite song from it is not easy. Mainly because all songs on it are important to the album as a whole.

If I have to choose one, it would probably be "Any Colour You Like" which is - if you look at it isolatedly - perhaps not the most interesting piece of music you can think of. I like its synth parts a lot in any case, and the track definitely is an important part of the album, forming a bridge between "Us And Them" and "Brain Damage".
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 18:41
Other albums:

Tubular Bells: The bizarre "growling" in the middle of side 2
Wish You Were Here: Have a Cigar
A Salty Dog: Crucifixion Lane (not much more than a mix of standard blues elements)
Ege Bamyasi: I'm So Green
For Your Pleasure: The Bogus Man
Remain In Light: The Overload
Low: Breaking Glass
Kid A: Motion Picture Soundtrack
Abbey Road: Octopus's Garden
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 04:54
I've always adored Red by King Crimson but no matter how much I try, the track Providence always leaves me completely unmoved
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 07:25
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Dark Side Of The Moon is a great album....and yet I never feel that Money "fits" the style of the rest of the album.....

A friend and I were just talking about this. I think it fits with that funky stuff (Time, Any Colour You Like), with its interesting timing, and more importantly, the themes. If I had to pick, it'd be "On the Run", not that its bad, but its because its all so great.

Edited by MortSahlFan - May 17 2019 at 07:26
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 02:36
While it's difficult to pick a favorite album over all, if I think of one I love but that has a song I really can't stand, it's easy to sat: In the Land of Grey and Pink. I don't even have to tell you which song it is that I don't like.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 03:06
- Close to the edge - siberian khatru (still 10/10)
- Selling England... - I know what I like (First single they ever released but somehow I just can't like it)
- Wish you were here - Wish you were here ( "If" is way better and similiar style)
- In the court... - Moonchild (might be that this will change someday)
- Foxtrot - Watcher of the skies ( Classical mellotron intro but it's drags a little bit in the middle section)
- Red - Providence
- Pawn Hearts - Lemmings ( A great one indeed but also the weakest one)
- Godbluff - Arrow (Hard to choose, a solid album)
- Still Life (Opeth) - White Cluster ( My top three albums of all time so it's hard to pick my least favourite on this perfect album)
- Hand cannot erase - Hand cannot erase (One of the best albums of last 20 years, the title track is the weak link tho)
- Rock Bottom - Alifib (A lovely album, Alifib is prolly the only song I just don't listen as an individual)

Maybe I stop here, I could go forever with this :)

Edited by Foxprog - May 20 2019 at 03:09
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:28
^ I think Providence would make a lot of peoples list for this topic. 

Edited by Argo2112 - May 20 2019 at 08:28
GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:28
My favorite prog album is Selling England by the Pound, and my least favorite track is More Fool Me. Material by Phil Collins, which was more of a pop-guy. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:15
Aye. Why the fook did they not extend firth of fifth out by another ten minutes...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:18
Originally posted by GingerFox GingerFox wrote:

My favorite prog album is Selling England by the Pound, and my least favorite track is More Fool Me. Material by Phil Collins, which was more of a pop-guy. 

All songs on SEBTP are credited as a collective effort, so More Fool Me cannot be considered as a Collins song.

You say Collins was a pop guy? Not in 1973 (or the 70s). He often said in interviews, he was trying to get a Mahavishnu Orchestra drumming style into Genesis' music. And then there was Brand X. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

All songs on SEBTP are credited as a collective effort, so More Fool Me cannot be considered as a Collins song.

You say Collins was a pop guy? Not in 1973 (or the 70s). He often said in interviews, he was trying to get a Mahavishnu Orchestra drumming style into Genesis' music. And then there was Brand X. 

I have difficulty believing that it could not be possibly true, but then I tend to be ultimately agnostic on all matters, and you may have researched this much more than I and have more insider knowledge.

The albums was a collective effort, and the labels may have listed all songs as a collective effort, but I've read that "More Fool Me" was written by Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford (I'd heard this before, and wikipedia says so, not that wikipedia is always reliable).

This quote is from http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/1973-genesis-selling-england-by-the-pound

Quote More Fool me, the next track, is written by Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford, with the result that Peter Gabriel let Phil do the vocals on the track, although Phil is clearly trying to copy Peter's vocal style. The song does however shows that Phil is more than just the drummer of the band, although probably nobody would have guessed at the time that Peter would leave the band two years later, leaving Phil at the singing spot.

I like that track very much. I think it's quite common for individual band members (or duos from a band) to write particular songs while officially (say with the labels) not specifying which particular members were most involved with what songs, and they just put it down as a collective effort.   They may have all contributed something to each track, but I would imagine that some would have contributed more than others (lyrically, musically, an initial idea,...)

Anyway, I don't have a particular favourite Prog album, and I tend to appreciate all the music off of the albums I most like even if I have particular favourites.

I'll cheat a bit by choosing a compilation album, SONG TO COMUS: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION. I think I'll go with "Down (Like a Movie Star)" off of that.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I have difficulty believing that it could not be possibly true, but then I tend to be ultimately agnostic on all matters, and you may have researched this much more than I and have more insider knowledge.

The albums was a collective effort, and the labels may have listed all songs as a collective effort, but I've read that "More Fool Me" was written by Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford (I'd heard this before, and wikipedia says so, not that wikipedia is always reliable).

This quote is from http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/1973-genesis-selling-england-by-the-pound

Quote More Fool me, the next track, is written by Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford, with the result that Peter Gabriel let Phil do the vocals on the track, although Phil is clearly trying to copy Peter's vocal style. The song does however shows that Phil is more than just the drummer of the band, although probably nobody would have guessed at the time that Peter would leave the band two years later, leaving Phil at the singing spot.

I like that track very much. I think it's quite common for individual band members (or duos from a band) to write particular songs while officially (say with the labels) not specifying which particular members were most involved with what songs, and they just put it down as a collective effort.   They may have all contributed something to each track, but I would imagine that some would have contributed more than others (lyrically, musically, an initial idea,...)

A Rutherford/Collins song, that I can believe. 
Thanks for the post. Thumbs Up
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:33
More fool me is the worst Genesis song until the horrible..me amd sarah jane....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:42
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

More fool me is the worst Genesis song until the horrible..me amd sarah jane....

Me and Sarah Jane is fine, I'm surprised you don't complain about Whodunnit, that i would understand. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 13:26

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Me and Sarah Jane is fine, I'm surprised you don't complain about Whodunnit, that i would understand. 

Whodunnit is ghastly, but not in the same class as the horrible songs just mentioned....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>