Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you dislike with one song you do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 12:58
3: To the Power of Three - Desde la Vida. Rest of the album is pretty much forgettable. Like the band.

Genesis: We Can't Dance - Driving the Last Spike. I don't think Fading Lights is particularly good. The rest of the album is s#%t.

GTR: The two solo tracks, Sketches in the Sun and Hackett to Bits are pretty good. The rest of the album has not aged well at all. To be honest, it was not that good to begin with.

Edited by Big Sky - March 15 2024 at 13:00
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 15:14
This was harder than I thought at first, as it required me to remember some music I really don't ever want to hear again! Here are the only decent songs on some albums I really don't like:

Moody Blues - Octave: "Had to Fall in Love".
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte: "Star of Sirius"
John Wetton - Arkangel: "Emma"
Styx - Crystal Ball: "This Old Man"
E.L.P. - Tarkus: "Tarkus"
Tony Banks - Still: "Still it takes me by surprise"
Led Zeppelin - Coda: "Ozone Baby"
Led Zeppelin - debut: "Black Mountain Side"
Marillion - Fugazi: "Assassing"

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 17:20
Camel - Stationery Traveller ''Cloak and Dagger Man''. Purchased it on the basis of that track but can't listen to the rest it's so dull.
Emerson, Lake and Powell - s/t ''Mars, The Bringer of War'' The rest is so entirely pointless it beggars belief that 3 such talented guys could put out this nonsense.
Greg Lake -s/t ''It Hurts'' Classic AOR ballad with a fantastic Gary Moore solo. The rest is desperately uninspiring inc Nuclear Attack which was written by Moore and done better by him as a solo artist.
Tangerine Dream - Melrose ''Three Bikes In The sky'' . Horrible plastic synth album but the guitar duelling on this track is just splendid.
Kate Bush - The Red Shoes '' Moments Of Pleasure''. Pretty dull stuff from KB but there is one gem at least.
Genesis - Trespass ''The Knife'' . If I hide this one near the bottom no one will notice! I don't hate the album but it never gets off the ground until that last track. They were still playing it as an encore 10 years later and long after they had stopped playing anything else from the album.
The Beatles - Revolver ''Tomorrow Never Knows'' I know I'm on dodgy ground with this one but the last track is so ground breaking that it makes the rest seem like total filler.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 17:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

King Crimson's Red album and the classic song "Starless", which saves the album from being a 2-star dud.

Thanks, I've long felt the same way but kept my yap shut on PA!!  Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 17:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Beatles - Revolver ''Tomorrow Never Knows'' I know I'm on dodgy ground with this one but the last track is so ground breaking that it makes the rest seem like total filler.
In 1966 the rest of the album was still fresh and even quite groundbreaking, and for me personally it has aged very well, but I agree on TNK as outstanding track. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 17:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

In 1966 the rest of the album was still fresh and even quite groundbreaking, and for me personally it has aged very well, but I agree on TNK as outstanding track. 

I prefer Rubber Soul personally. Revolver feels a bit stuck in the middle.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 17:29
By the way look no further than at my avatar image. This is the cover of Holger Czukay's "Der Osten ist rot" album, which has the truly out of this world track "Traeum mal wieder" but is otherwise an uneven collection of bits and pieces that wasn't intended to and can't be taken very seriously (I don't really dislike it but rank it quite low overall in Holger's catalogue, even though the cover is better than many of his other ones Wink). 

Edited by Lewian - March 15 2024 at 17:33
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 21:32

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I prefer Rubber Soul personally. Revolver feels a bit stuck in the middle.

Richardh,

If you are on dodgy ground with Revolver, I probably would be labeled a heretic in that with the Beatles, I am quite ambivalent. Pretty much anything I like by the Beatles can be found on two albums, Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's. I respect them and acknowledge their influence. But, I much prefer Paul McCartney and Wings.
ThyroidGlands View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThyroidGlands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 21:47
I hope no one gets offended by this; 'V' by Spock's Beard seems like a soporific album to me, but Thoughts (Part II) is outstanding
Bloody bloody racket and rumpus
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 02:40
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black - The Night Watch
Rush - Roll the Bones - Where's My Thing?
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans - The Ancient

Edited by someone_else - March 16 2024 at 02:41
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 08:02
Hi,

Can't really say that there is an album in my collection that I got for one piece, and not the whole work ... people are people, and sometimes, it feels like we're judging the cover by the green underwear! Or mauve!

It's about the totality of the work, that the artist put together, not one piece outside of the rest of the wardrobe, I never thought! 

It's just strange to see that kind of discussion all around ... again, as I stated before, it's not about the art of it all ... it's about everyone's taste instead ... we don't respect the artists.

Gee, why don't you all post Prufrock and the Wasteland, for its beauty and also massive amounts of letters and words wasted, that supposedly make it a better, and more flowing piece! Obviously, none of the albums listed here make the idea possible because of one piece!

Edited by moshkito - March 16 2024 at 08:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 09:17
Starless - the only song I like from King Crimson's Red album.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 16 2024 at 09:18
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 09:19
Cendre off of You Know Faust
D~B
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 09:26
This is harder than I thought lol

I'll go with Porcupine Tree - Radioactive Toy from their first album, because it's the only really great track from it, although others are enjoyable (but most is kinda ridiculous lol). Maybe also Pineapple Thief - Variations on a Dream, which Part Zero is easily the standout track there as well.

As for Genesis, Rush, Pink Floyd, etc, can't really think of a single album that has one track a lot better than the rest of the album.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 21:53
The one that comes to mind straight away is Triumph's first, with "Blinding Light Show" being a great track.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 01:30
Yes: Open Your Eyes... the title track is a bit of fun, the rest is dross.

I'll be honest, it's not a concept I really come across with proper prog. Back in the day, I remember feeling this way about a number of weak AOR albums, where the opening or title track will have stood out above the mediocre rest... but it's too far back for me to dig through my memory banks and frankly would be irrelevant for this forum. 
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 09:02
Always thought Subterranea wasn't great (an album I need to re-visit), but Tunnel Vision was fantastic 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 10:02
I love Pink Floyd's song High Hopes off their album The Division Bell, whose rest brought yawny tears to my eyes.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 10:39
Sticking with The Floyd, The Final Cut is an atrocity, however, Not Now John is a fun number, that's a good one. 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 15:39
IQ - Subterranea is a very dull album, but Sleepless Incidental is a great track
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>