Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The most successful modern prog music nation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 02:34
Seems someone is trolling, and I think I know who. All the videos, and of course the comments are utterly ridiculous.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 03:34

When looking at the two toplists, I've made on basis of all the ratings on RYM and PA, these are the countries which have got most post-1990s albums on these two toplists if seen together:

1. USA - 26 albums (11 from '00s and 15 from the '10s)
2. UK - 13 albums (4 from '00s and 9 from the '10s)
3. Norway - 11 albums (4 from '00s and 7 from the '10s)
4. Sweden - 10 albums (3 from '00s and 7 from the '10s)

The number of albums are rather close to the number of different bands.

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 07:25
NORWAY!!!
The Prog Corner
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 08:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Chiyo Chiyo wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^^With a population smaller than Minnesota, the density of relatively known progressive rock acts from Norway is probably unmatched. That's unless there's one modern, profilic prog rock act from either Liechtenstein, San Marino or Andorra...
What about the Big Big Train? Sure, they've been around for 34 years now; their original frontman died, so I can understand that some people might hesitate to put them in the modern cell, but they are active—the below live video was filmed in 2022—their take on prog-rock music is still modern, and any Norwegian prog-rock band that is on the scene now is not even close to Big Big Train.
What about what? So your argument is that one AOR-like, not genuinely progressive band that I'm totally indifferent (or rather, I dislike their music) to is bigger than a whole national scene with myriads of active bands? An argument for UK would have to be about their vibrant Windmill-scene. And not a band you personally enjoy formed in 1990 with 23 000 monthly listeners on Spotify.

BBT are genuinely progressive with a small 'p'. They do a lot of long form tracks with lyrics based on English history. Putting them in AOR is unfair and very inaccurate. I know them may seem 'prog lite' to many but they mean a lot to me and many others.
Ok, sorry. I could easily have gotten my point across without sharing my impression of them. I listen to - and love plenty of AOR btw, so it may have appeared meaner than my intention was. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:01
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

When looking at the two toplists, I've made on basis of all the ratings on RYM and PA, these are the countries which have got most post-1990s albums on these two toplists if seen together:

1. USA - 26 albums (11 from '00s and 15 from the '10s)
The number of albums are rather close to the number of different bands.

The highest rated American bands are:

Tool
The Mars Volta
Mastodon
Maudlin of the Well
Swans
Kayo Dot
Phideaux
Between the Buried and Me
Vektor
Transatlantic
Spock's Beard
Blood Incantation
Dream Theater
Discipline
The Deer Hunter
Birds and Buildings
Echolyn

Edited by David_D - January 09 2024 at 11:19
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:35
The 15 most popular European bands, not including post-Brexit Britain who are no longer part of Europe, politically speaking. Smile

01. PFM (148 points)
01. Tangerine Dream (143 points)
03. Magma (126 points)
04. Riverside (120 points) 
05. Wobbler (89 points)
06. Area (78 points)
06. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (78 points)
08. Univers Zero (77 points)
09. Can (69 points)
10. Amon Dull II (67 points)

11. Anekdoten (65 points)
12. Eloy (61 points)
13. Art Zoyd (46 points)
14. Focus (41 points)
15. The Flower Kings (35 points)
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:43
Britain no longer part of Europe? That will be news to map-makers
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:44
^I'm slightly surprised to see Eloy so low! They're very well loved on this site. I get that people have issues with the vocals, but I enjoy them
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:58
^ Well, I guess those results come from one of PP's polls, so they have no representative value whatsoever, but only for those who think they have, so saying that those bands are "The 15 most popular European bands" is ludicrous.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Only from a political and proggy perspective. When I think of European prog bands, I'm thinking of continental Europe. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:01
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Well, I guess those results come from one of PP's polls, so they have no representative value whatsoever, but only for those who think they have, so saying that those bands are "The 15 most popular European bands" is ludicrous.
They're only "ludicrous and unrepresentative" if you dismiss the votes of the good members of ProgArchives. Wink

Prog Europa - Top 10 European Prog Bands - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124979&PN=4

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 09 2024 at 10:04
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:06
^ How many did vote? And why ever could lead that number of votes to the statement that those are "The 15 most popular European bands"?

These are rather rhetorical questions...

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:17
Paul didn't give the title of his list, which should be something like, "The 15 most popular European bands according to members of the Prog Rock Archives forum who responded to my poll in [insert year] using my weighted point system."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:18

^ How many did vote? And why ever could lead that number of votes to the statement that those are "The 15 most popular European bands"?

They're the 15 most popular European prog bands as voted for by the good members of ProgArchives. What more do you need to know? That's a rhetorical question too. Smile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:19
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Only from a political and proggy perspective. When I think of European prog bands, I'm thinking of continental Europe. Wink
Well then you have to exclude Norwegian bands as well as Norway's never been a part of the EU. And Switzerland + Iceland... plus several Eastern European nations. Or you can think of it correctly, which is that Europe and the European Union are not the same thing.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:55

They're the 15 most popular European prog bands as voted for by the good members of ProgArchives. What more do you need to know? That's a rhetorical question too. Smile

Ah! That's already two additional criteria that were not mentioned before. Remains the question of why those 12-or-so voter in your thread could legitimize the proposition that that these are "The 15 most popular European bands" as you dared to state before? I don't think you can justify such a statement other than by lying to yourself. It suffices to do a diligent search in the PA database (or on RYM) to get completely different results...

Edited by suitkees - January 09 2024 at 10:56

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 11:11
^ I don't agree with the final Top 15 either. Tangerine Dream should've been top of the list and how on earth did Univers Zero make it into the Top 10. Another rhetorical question. Tongue
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 11:14
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

It's hard to say, since there are so many sub-genres in prog these days. Italy, UK, USA, Germany, Sweden, etc, all have many good bands. Depending on what kind of prog you are into, the result could be quite different.

Excellent reply! 

USA is seeing something of a resurgence in jazz-rock fusion, with younger players (Gabe Severn) hitting the stage and older acts (Al Dimeola) continuing to tour.   No huge break-out acts yet, I'll post when there are. 

Not much in symphonic from USA lately, although the new Glass Hammer CD "Arise" is certainly excellent!   Colin Carter's new CD "Tracks in Space" is another fine work (eclectic?) 

PA is great for tracking all of this stuff, thanks for all the updates!!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 11:32

The 15 most popular European bands, not including post-Brexit Britain who are no longer part of Europe, politically speaking. Smile

It's really annoying and too bad, Paul, how much you ignore the OPs. Shocked

Edited by David_D - January 09 2024 at 12:30
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 12:12
If you look at the PA Top 10 for the last decade there are 5 Norwegian albums. There's your answer right there.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>