Topic Closed"Filler" tracks on prog albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:23
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Masque Masque wrote:

A great 45 minute CD is better than a  potentially great 77 minute CD but has some filler,  I think.

Where's the difference between a great 45 minute CD, and a CD with 45 great minutes and 15 minutes filler? I mean, the extra 15 minutes don't cause any additional cost ...

About 15 minutes

Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:38

edited by STWink

Edited by Sean Trane - May 05 2006 at 06:41
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:43

I think that the usual definition of a filler track is: a track that is weaker than the others (lower quality, not just lower complexity/technicality or interlude/intro/outro) and has been put on the album in order to increase the playtime. Like the artist thought "I only have 30 minutes worth of music ... let's goof around a bit, play some blues/rock song/whatever and add these songs to the album until we have 45 minutes".

Absolutely. Often it will be a record company decision to add it. And filler is different to a sequence specifically designed as part of the musical flow, however much someone may dislike it. Example - many people complain there is too much filler in PF's THE WALL, but to me it is all there for a purpose, telling part of the story and therefore not filler.

IMO that type of filler track should most definitely be taken into account when rating the album, as it lowers the quality of the album.

Quite agree - it is part of the product. You can't just ignore it.

But if an artist decides to publish 60 minutes of quality music on an album and then also adds outtakes/bonus tracks on the remaining 15 minutes of the CD, these should not be held against him.

On the contrary, they should, if anything, enhance the rating. As long as they are identified as bonuses of course!

Camel_APPeal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:44

Hey!

Yes, it's a fact that artists may be preassured by the record companies (who only understand business, but not art) and they may have to put filler songs in the albums.

And yes, it also is true that we don't always know for sure if a certain song we don't feel fitting the rest of the album is a so called 'filler' or anything else, and therefore it's also true that calling that certain track a 'filler' is not fair.

It's also true that sometimes we manage to know that certain track is intended by the artist as a filler, but if you enjoyed that particular track, you should still enjoy it!!!

Now, another interesting question here is: should bonus tracks (clearly specified as such) affect an album rating?? Well, let's try to be fair; from a protective perspective, a bonus track can break the main feel of the album, so you could say: "No! Bonus tracks should not affect the rating of an album!" but... what if that bonus track enhances the main feel of the album?? Do we stick to the bonus-tracks-don't-affect-rating policy???

All in all, I agree with Firepuck that an album is an experience, therefore when you rate an album, you rate the experience you had; and in the end ratings are subjective; ratings are not to determine wether you like or not an album, you just use other people's ratings as a reference, and with time, you get to know the way certain reviewers think and so you can give yourself a better idea what they are talking about.

Take care, everybody.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:51
Originally posted by Camel_APPeal Camel_APPeal wrote:

Hey!

Yes, it's a fact that artists may be preassured by the record companies (who only understand business, but not art) and they may have to put filler songs in the albums.

And yes, it also is true that we don't always know for sure if a certain song we don't feel fitting the rest of the album is a so called 'filler' or anything else, and therefore it's also true that calling that certain track a 'filler' is not fair.

It's also true that sometimes we manage to know that certain track is intended by the artist as a filler, but if you enjoyed that particular track, you should still enjoy it!!!

Now, another interesting question here is: should bonus tracks (clearly specified as such) affect an album rating?? Well, let's try to be fair; from a protective perspective, a bonus track can break the main feel of the album, so you could say: "No! Bonus tracks should not affect the rating of an album!" but... what if that bonus track enhances the main feel of the album?? Do we stick to the bonus-tracks-don't-affect-rating policy???

All in all, I agree with Firepuck that an album is an experience, therefore when you rate an album, you rate the experience you had; and in the end ratings are subjective; ratings are not to determine wether you like or not an album, you just use other people's ratings as a reference, and with time, you get to know the way certain reviewers think and so you can give yourself a better idea what they are talking about.

Take care, everybody.

lotsa common sense there!! ClapAnd I agree with most of it.
but bonus tracks do affect your enjoyment of an album , especially if (as you say, but I will translate itWink)  it sticks out like a sore thumb

Welcome to the Archives BTWWink

Edited by Sean Trane - May 04 2006 at 11:54
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:52
Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

Originally posted by Masque Masque wrote:

A great 45 minute CD is better than a  potentially great 77 minute CD but has some filler,  I think.
Where's the difference between a great 45 minute CD, and a CD with 45 great minutes and 15 minutes filler? I mean, the extra 15 minutes don't cause any additional cost ...     

About 15 minutes

So I should rate Terria less because Devin gave us an additional outtake track but forgot to label it "bonus"?

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:19
Edited by SDEmbarrassed

Edited by Snow Dog - May 05 2006 at 06:49
bctruce View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:31

I just read a review of Tool - 10,000 Days ... the reviewer complained about two tracks that he called "filler": Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres.

I saw that review and had similar thoughts. The problems I have are:

"Lipan Conjuring" is a little over a minute, so why should it really matter? It's a little interlude, and much less annoying / lengthy than Tool's previous "filler" tracks -- see (-) ions from Ænima.

"Lost Keys" is (to me) an awesome mood piece and highly effective setup to the next track on the album. I love it and would never consider it filler.

"Viginti Tres" is filler, but so what? So the guys wanted to doodle around at the end of the album and had room? Again, it's nowhere near as offensive as the unlistenable "Faaip De Oiad" from Lateralus, and even if you hate it, just stop the CD. Should be no factor at all.

So in this case I couldn't possibly see "filler" material as being a problem. Plenty of other albums just have bad songwriting, and I'd consider that filler
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:36

--------------- edited by STWink

Edited by Sean Trane - May 05 2006 at 08:24
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
OldFatherThames View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:39
Originally posted by ThisWas ThisWas wrote:

filler is just a word for a song on an album people dont like

ie: For Absent Friends on Nursery Cryme

people say it doesnt flow with the album, but then again, does every prog album have to have continuity to constitute being a prog album? if you look at say led zeppelin, or the beatles, its all filler if you look at it from that perspective

Totally disagree. I love that song and I think it goes very well in the album. Imagine that after The musical box, return of the giant hogweeg begin....I think something would miss....
MegaMoog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Tarkus

1. Tarkus: Eruption (2:44) 
    Stones Of Years (3:44) 
    Iconoclast (1:16)
    Mass (3:12) 
   Manticore (1:52) 
   Battlefield (3:51) 
   Aquatarkus (4:04)  >>> Tarkus is a core track of the albumStar
2. Jeremy Bender (1:51)   >> a tyical ragtime piece , a facet of ELPThumbs Up>> not my cup of tea
3. Bitches Crystal (3:58) >> second choice material>> still worthySmile
4. The Only Way (Hymn)(3:49) >>> Classical rework >> core material of the album Star
Toccata in F and Prelude VI (themes used in intro and bridge only)composed by: Bach
5. Infinite Space (Conclusion)(3:20)  >> cannot really remember it but likely linked to previous track
6. A Time And A Place (3:02) >> second choice material>> still worthy
7. Are You Ready Eddy? (2:10) >> nothing to do with ELP, a throwaway piece >> a fillerThumbs Down 

you know my brother and I listin to the album in the car and both agreed that Are you ready Eddy? was the best case of a filler ever used that we could think of
Where Can I Get A Moog biscuit?

Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:49
^
Mike, first off I visit your site regularily and find it well laid out and informative. I will certainly end up joining sooner or later (it took me over a year of navagating this site before I became a member so give me time). I like the format of rating each song independently, great value in that when exploring new groups (I mean groups I haven't really listened to before). Kudo's to you for taking the time on this site and your site to help make them as good as they are.

But in this I strongly disagree with you. I will always think that the album should be rated as a whole. Outakes, fillers, everything. There are many albums I like and play often that have songs that I don't find all that good. Does this make the album less worthy of a high rating? - ABSOLUTELY

To me there are few albums that are strong from start to finish and these are the real jewels of progressive rock.

Mind you, this is just my opinion. With respect to Terria you can rate it however you see fit.

For example:

GENESIS — Archive - Volume 1: 1967-1975

While I would highly recommend this box set to any early Genesis fan I would never give this a 5 star rating because of CD4. CD's 1, 2 and 3 however are gorgeous.

IMHO...
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
VanBuren View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:55
Who really cares if its 40 minutes or 77.  And who are these people say what's "filler"  I really doubt the guys in tool said, "sh*t, this isn't long enough, lets add some crap to it."   perhaps they put these "filler" tracks in because they liked them, or maybe just so they could be criticized on the internet about stupid little insignificant things aspects of their album.  If we're gonna bitch about filler, why not start with something that has a lot of it, not two little tracks.  I mean have any of you heard Frances the Mute, that's an album with filler.  Tool albums have more of transitions.
man@arms View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 15:30
I think a 77 minute cd is a bit overlong for my personal listening experience.  I agree with the earlier statements saying 40 minutes is more ideal.  Just because a cd can hold 80 minutes of material doesn't mean the artist should feel obligated to fill the disc to capacity.  Rick Wakeman has said that Yes had to noodle around while recording Topographic Oceans so that each song would fill the entire side on an lp.  While I happen to love Topographic a great deal, I can see where a bit of editing would have helped the album.  Same goes for the White Album, Tommy, Electric Ladyland, The Lamb and several other double albums.  When the 33rpm became available in the 50's, it was the great jazz artists of that era that were the first to truly allow themselves to stretch out and play a bit longer, something that they could not do with the old 78's.  So, with new technology and new formats come artists willing to utilize the extra available space to varying degrees of success. 

Edited by man@arms - May 04 2006 at 15:31
Chris_Kemp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 16:29
Filler tracks (they do exist and great albums don't have them):

Acquiring the Taste on Acquiring the Taste

Sentimental Institution on Defector

Ring on Circus (by Argent)

"That's not your face...it's mine! IT'S MINE!!
hawkbrock View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 16:39
Any Colour you Like. Scum track.
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 17:42
My previous post didn't appear because there was a problem, but to resume what I would comment, sorry, Mike, but I disagree with your complains because we cannot simply forget that there are some songs not so good in the album. Them some will argue that an album with 4 fantastic songs and 5 not so good can be a masterpiece. To the person that made the review, these songs are enough to justify a lower rating, mostly because he is not so pleased with the new Tool album than you. The same example goes to the Devin Townsend mentioned work. Maybe to some that song can make difference. It is a matter of taste, so let's give him the freedom to rate the way he want. Since he explained his reasons, there is nothing wrong with his opinion.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 17:48
akin: I wasn't complaining about the review - people have their own concept of rating, nothing wrong with that.

I will only enforce this on my website, and also only with very few albums where it makes sense:

- the track must be an obvious outtake/bonus 
- the playtime must be longer than 50 minutes without the track

People can still rate the track, but it will not be used to compute the album average.
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 18:01

I just read a review of Tool - 10,000 Days ... the reviewer complained about two tracks that he called "filler": Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres.

My problem with that is: The album has a play time of 77 minutes! Even if one doesn't like these tracks, I don't think that they should be taken into account when determining a rating for the album. IMO it's just additional content that shouldn't affect the rating - wouldn't it be awkward if the album was rated higher if they had left out these tracks?

That's an interesting statement. Does this mean that a record like Flower Power from TFK should
get a 5 star  rating just because Garden of dreams is 60 minutes of 5 star music?. I would certainly
like that but i think  it's against rating policy on this site.

Also on your own site  it couldn't be done because all the tracks have to be rated before you get a
visible album rating. This also goes for the Tool example, you have to rate these "bonus" tracks if they
are not officially bonus.

akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 18:05
Ok, Outtakes and bonus from release versions I usually don't reveiw because in first place most of my collection is from vinyl, so no bonus. And in second place, when there is a bonus/outtake, usually there is a version that doesn't include these bonus, so it isn't fair. This outtakes/bonus are commonly released to aggregate value to the new cd versions, but they are not part of the album (for example, Deep Purple's Fireball has 7 songs on the original release and 16 on the deluxe edition on cd. I reviewed only 7 because this is the way my record is).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>