Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins: we decided TONIGHT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these better describes Phil Collins?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [30.30%]
23 [69.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 11:41

I vote for the clueless oaf option. Whats all this rubbish about not being able to criticise music and musicians? Music is made for people to enjoy by your logic the only people able to comment on music should be the musical elite which is not on at all.

Another emotional suicide, overdosed on sentiment and pride
jalas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 13:27
Well he doesn't seem very evil.  He seems like a nice guy to me.  Genious is kind of an overstatement judging by later Genesis music.  Other than that, he seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back.

JOIN THE COMMUNIST PARTY!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:01
Originally posted by Psychedelia Psychedelia wrote:

I vote for the clueless oaf option. Whats all this rubbish about not being able to criticise music and musicians? Music is made for people to enjoy by your logic the only people able to comment on music should be the musical elite which is not on at all.

No once said don't criticise musicians, but the criticism should be constructive, not just insults and name calling.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:18
To be honest threads like this undermine the credibility of this great site. But hey everyone wants to be on their soapbox.

Phil...I salute you!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

(SMACK)

Uh, sorry, my hand slipped...

Oh, I mean no offense (well, sorta). Gotta admit, I did kinda like the Tarzan stuff. Wasn't too fond of the pop solo stuff, but ya know, my cuppa tea, what-what. My problem is more with Phil and his general attitude...which was, all yea stone-cast-innotators, the purpose of the poll. Assuming you bothered to read the first post,  which I doubt.

Well, I bothered to read. But maybe I got a little bit off your question and more into the general Collins-bashing I was reading.... Not against the poll itself,but about what the poll turned into (as every PC poll....). If you're going to start a poll about Phil Collins, even if you ask "do you think he's a drummer?", even if you ask that it will degenrate into a bashing-thread, so don't be so shocked because I wandered off topic to replicate other off-topic posts.

Dude
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:46
Originally posted by jalas jalas wrote:

Well he doesn't seem very evil.  He seems like a nice guy to me.  Genious is kind of an overstatement judging by later Genesis music.  Other than that, he seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back.

Genius is an overstatement? Confused

He came up with some great pop songs. That is genius to me. Making pop sound good.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:44
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Dude

Dude!

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 19:43
Originally posted by Psychedelia Psychedelia wrote:

Normally I say 'go for it'; but, Collins gets railed against CONSTANTLY around here. I think we've got better things to do and to talk about. Don't you?

E
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 19:49
Phil is not completely one or the other. His work with Brand X and in Gabriel-fronted Genesis shut me up at a time when I was only familiar with his atrocious pioneering of adult contemporary. He is a great drummer, but he's turned away from his true skill (he even uses drum machines on his solo albums) to write generally banal lyrics. Still, you gotta laugh when you find out he's right up there with James Brown in terms of popularity with rappers.
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 20:50
I don't really think the man is either.

This is the first "I Hate Phil Club" thread I've posted in, I always figured I could wait for the next one to pop up within a few days and give it a go there. Anyway, Phil was a great drummer and a great singer. I always thought Banks had something to do with the pop-sound (he always seemed the most vocal and knowledgable about it in interviews). Really, the guy's just a musician. He wrote some pop ballads in what used to be a prog-band! Obviously he's the incarnation of Lucifer, right?

To tell the truth, in one of the medleys from the 80s he puts in a chilling performance on "Apocalypse In 9/8" & "As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs". One of the most powerful I've heard! Phil Collins is a bloke who makes music. He seems nice to me.
White Shadow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:06
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Originally posted by jalas jalas wrote:

Genius is an overstatement? Confused

He came up with some great pop songs. That is genius to me. Making pop sound good.
Also he contributed to both early Genesis and Brand X as a writer.  He always said he wasn't a songwriter before, but since Genesis wrote collaboratively and credited the music to everyone, Phil, as far as I'm concerned, did participate in Genesis' writing parts.
[signature]
sheeves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:36
I do not think that Phil is as bad as most Genesis fans say he is. He was a great drummer, and probably the most skilled musician in the band during their Gabriel years. His drumming added so many more elements to the songs Genesis produced. I belive that Phil always had a jazz fusion side to him, as seen with Brand x. He was a great vocalist as well, and was very reluctant in becoming the lead singer for the band. Most people felt that Phil was the one that "Sold Out" Genesis. I am not blaming Hackett, but once Hackett left, the band took a different direction because they could not sustain the same sound with only 3 members. Besides, all three had equal input into the music, and they were doing what they wanted to do musically, which I do not believe is selling out. I certainly prefer the Gabriel-era Genesis, but i admit i like all of the albums during Genesis' pop years, especially Duke and I Can't Dance.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 00:06
Let's see which of the following statements infer a certain bias towards a certain era of said group Genesis, which may actually relate to a certain sect of Genesis fan
1 - Phil Collins seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back. I ask you 2 questions - Did he actually say ANYTHING to indicate this seeming ignorance ? There has been talk for many years & I've yet to read Phil's name being mentioned as not being asked to join in. He WAS the drummer, right.
& question 2 - Is it fair to ask if you are clueless to the fact that there are many fans that want to see the Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis , & would you  claim that Gabriel is clueless in this regard ?
2 - Collins has turned away from his true skill. Like he only has one. Oh wait, he only has one that YOU like or are ready to tolerate. Interesting how others appreciate other "skills" he has. But then, popularity & "pop" music in & of themselves are automatically bad, evil, & responsible for entertaining fans; not you, but then there must be people who have differing tastes from yours. I wonder if they have better things to do than regularly start or post to threads demonizing a musician that they don't like.
3 - The point that I see made a lot lately as a response to these "repetitive" threads is "ENOUGH". The rest of us get it, you don't like him; you loathe the direction that he personally dictated to Banks & Rutherford. How dare they even think to put out music that you hate. There oughta be a law against that, hanging's too good for him, blah blah
. Are you really adding anything new, or is your short term or even long term memory really that bad ? The point is not the criticism, the point is simply that it is & has been the same old rants & raves. You are aware that there are other groups, other music, other things that can be discussed or debated than the fact that Genesis' musical style changed over a career of some 25 - 30 years. Who'd a thought that possible ? Are musicians allowed to do that ?
4 - So for you rabid anti-Phils, pleeeeaaaase take note of the ever increasing posts to these self perpetuating threads that simply say, "Can we talk about something else, ANYTHING else, Please "?

I'll end with a quote from a somewhat intelligent person, name of Albert E. " Apart from the lack of agreement with reality, it is a superb intellectual performance".
Come up with something new - hey , I know; why did Genesis progressively move away from long songs to shorter songs between Trespass through to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway even though I liked them the way they were ? Why did Tony Banks' keyboard sound change during this period even though I liked the sound on Foxtrot best? Why did Peter Gabriel not keep his reverse mohawk haircut, now people don't understand when I do it? Why did they have to improve or clean up the sound production from album to album? Why do certain people get overly angry or need to endlessly & overly emotionally debate the point that THEY DON"T LIKE Phil Collins, or prefer the Gabriel era albums ? We know, sometimes we agree, we just don't see the need for endless repetition (which this post is likely becoming very guilty of , by now)

So if there are some of you for whom this sort of thing is necessary to your very life, please start your own site & argue, or rather agree with each other. Heck, see who can top who in pouring out the most inane invective, or go around in circles debating who can insult, demean or to put it in crude terms, piss on Phil the most. No one's trying to change your minds, & I haven't seen people responding en masse that these threads have done anything to change their opinions if they happened to like to Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis or not. Those who have changed their mind came to it by themselves, by listening to the music & deciding, & this is the probably the part you can't understand, but deciding by themselves what they preferred (which is likely that they want to avoid more anti Phil threads).

For those who've gotten this far, thank you. I do actually prefer most of the Gabriel albums, but I also like a few of the later albums as much; not all but some.

And to repeat a suggestion I've made before in this thread, if you have nothing better to do than repeat & restart these arguments so as to allow yourself to vent your Anti-Phil spleen, please take a walk outside, you may realize there is a REAL world out thereTongue

Bonjour les amies de mania, nous sommes fous !
Ne cherchez pas pourquoi,
Pas de chat, pas deux, nous sommes fous !
Put down a little life from a morning cosmic.

Edited by pantacruelgruel - February 14 2007 at 00:13
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 00:09
Relax, I think Whistler was just having a bit of fun and decided to post something he knew would start a debate.
MadcapLaughs84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 00:18
Clueless Oaf, but we coud use stronger words on him
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 00:25
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Relax, I think Whistler was just having a bit of fun and decided to post something he knew would start a debate.

Please go back & re-read the comments made by others about the repetitiveness & seemingly endless supply of the same old same old. Why not discuss what instrument you would have preferred to have a more prominent part on a song or album ? Make it new. When you have the Admins stepping in at the very start to state that the thread is overtly meant to bring about the same negative responses, do you figure there's a need for another debate to go over the same old ground again. If you're so interested in Genesis (whatever period), is it possible that there are other aspects that could be discussed. Hey, Gabriel, did his ancestors come over from France ? Did Hackett invent two handed tapping on the guitar ? Did Banks use classical music melodies in his playing ? Was Rutherford as good a guitarist (technique wise) as Hackett, and did his guitar skills translate to his style as a bass player ? What about the fact that Collins' voice was perfect as background or harmony vocal to Peter's lead vocals, did that make a difference in their "sound ?
Get the point ? There must be other subjects that could be discussed & debated about a legendary group with such a loyal & knowledgeable fan base.

Of course, the rest of us could just flood the next thread of this type with stoner posts - Yeah , man, no man, I think you're right dude, I think you have erred in your remarks sir Big%20smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 02:45
Originally posted by pantacruelgruel pantacruelgruel wrote:

Let's see which of the following statements infer a certain bias towards a certain era of said group Genesis, which may actually relate to a certain sect of Genesis fan
1 - Phil Collins seems clueless to the fact that there are many fans who want to see the old Genesis come back. I ask you 2 questions - Did he actually say ANYTHING to indicate this seeming ignorance ? There has been talk for many years & I've yet to read Phil's name being mentioned as not being asked to join in. He WAS the drummer, right.
& question 2 - Is it fair to ask if you are clueless to the fact that there are many fans that want to see the Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis , & would you  claim that Gabriel is clueless in this regard ?
2 - Collins has turned away from his true skill. Like he only has one. Oh wait, he only has one that YOU like or are ready to tolerate. Interesting how others appreciate other "skills" he has. But then, popularity & "pop" music in & of themselves are automatically bad, evil, & responsible for entertaining fans; not you, but then there must be people who have differing tastes from yours. I wonder if they have better things to do than regularly start or post to threads demonizing a musician that they don't like.
3 - The point that I see made a lot lately as a response to these "repetitive" threads is "ENOUGH". The rest of us get it, you don't like him; you loathe the direction that he personally dictated to Banks & Rutherford. How dare they even think to put out music that you hate. There oughta be a law against that, hanging's too good for him, blah blah
. Are you really adding anything new, or is your short term or even long term memory really that bad ? The point is not the criticism, the point is simply that it is & has been the same old rants & raves. You are aware that there are other groups, other music, other things that can be discussed or debated than the fact that Genesis' musical style changed over a career of some 25 - 30 years. Who'd a thought that possible ? Are musicians allowed to do that ?
4 - So for you rabid anti-Phils, pleeeeaaaase take note of the ever increasing posts to these self perpetuating threads that simply say, "Can we talk about something else, ANYTHING else, Please "?

I'll end with a quote from a somewhat intelligent person, name of Albert E. " Apart from the lack of agreement with reality, it is a superb intellectual performance".
Come up with something new - hey , I know; why did Genesis progressively move away from long songs to shorter songs between Trespass through to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway even though I liked them the way they were ? Why did Tony Banks' keyboard sound change during this period even though I liked the sound on Foxtrot best? Why did Peter Gabriel not keep his reverse mohawk haircut, now people don't understand when I do it? Why did they have to improve or clean up the sound production from album to album? Why do certain people get overly angry or need to endlessly & overly emotionally debate the point that THEY DON"T LIKE Phil Collins, or prefer the Gabriel era albums ? We know, sometimes we agree, we just don't see the need for endless repetition (which this post is likely becoming very guilty of , by now)

So if there are some of you for whom this sort of thing is necessary to your very life, please start your own site & argue, or rather agree with each other. Heck, see who can top who in pouring out the most inane invective, or go around in circles debating who can insult, demean or to put it in crude terms, piss on Phil the most. No one's trying to change your minds, & I haven't seen people responding en masse that these threads have done anything to change their opinions if they happened to like to Collins/Banks/Rutherford era Genesis or not. Those who have changed their mind came to it by themselves, by listening to the music & deciding, & this is the probably the part you can't understand, but deciding by themselves what they preferred (which is likely that they want to avoid more anti Phil threads).

For those who've gotten this far, thank you. I do actually prefer most of the Gabriel albums, but I also like a few of the later albums as much; not all but some.

And to repeat a suggestion I've made before in this thread, if you have nothing better to do than repeat & restart these arguments so as to allow yourself to vent your Anti-Phil spleen, please take a walk outside, you may realize there is a REAL world out thereTongue

Bonjour les amies de mania, nous sommes fous !
Ne cherchez pas pourquoi,
Pas de chat, pas deux, nous sommes fous !
Put down a little life from a morning cosmic.

Personally I like the 4 albums that followed Gabriel leaving.

I think its true that Phil is seen 'the destroyer of Genesis/prog rock' which is obviously rediculous but nevertheless its a view that has taken hold.As I stated before I have nothing but the highest regard for him as a musician and always support a view that he was one of the best prog drummers.I also believe that without him Genesis would have given up after Lamb ..which means no Trick,WAW,ATTWT or Duke.All extremely respectable prog albums.As for the other questions ..quite frankly they are boring! I used to go on the old Genesis talking shop site and they loved talking about all that stuff. The old debate about whether Collins killed prog is always more interesting IMO Big%20smile  

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 04:06
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

(SMACK)

Uh, sorry, my hand slipped...

Oh, I mean no offense (well, sorta). Gotta admit, I did kinda like the Tarzan stuff. Wasn't too fond of the pop solo stuff, but ya know, my cuppa tea, what-what. My problem is more with Phil and his general attitude...which was, all yea stone-cast-innotators, the purpose of the poll. Assuming you bothered to read the first post,  which I doubt.

Well, I bothered to read. But maybe I got a little bit off your question and more into the general Collins-bashing I was reading.... Not against the poll itself,but about what the poll turned into (as every PC poll....). If you're going to start a poll about Phil Collins, even if you ask "do you think he's a drummer?", even if you ask that it will degenrate into a bashing-thread, so don't be so shocked because I wandered off topic to replicate other off-topic posts.

Dude

...Dude.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 04:11

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:44
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>