Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Sabbath inclusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 06:46
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

my position on Metallica has actually softened but one thing Sabbath has on their side is that they were active during the prog era which gives them some credibility as a parallel part of the Prog family...  Metallica don't have that on their side.

Indeed, but what Metallica have on their side is that Dream Theater used their riffs, song and bridge structures, overall methods of composition, and covered their albums, and... Wink

yeah, not gonna go down that road Wink

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 06:47

my position on Metallica has actually softened but one thing Sabbath has on their side is that they were active during the prog era which gives them some credibility as a parallel part of the Prog family...  Metallica don't have that on their side.

Indeed, but what Metallica have on their side is that Dream Theater used their riffs, song and bridge structures, overall methods of composition, and covered their albums, and... Wink

...and Black Sabbath have mellotron!Tongue
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 06:56

yeah, not gonna go down that road Wink

Indeed - Metallica did it all first, and they're still better in many ways than Dream Theater; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5PkSiZCa2M

Improv: The heart of Progressive Rock.

/road Wink
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:07
someone wake me up when he's stopped playing with himself...

c'mon that nonesense doesnt suggest prog.That kind of interlude happens at thousands of heavy metal/heavy rock shows.
It's politely called showboating...Wink

Edited by Tony R - October 12 2007 at 07:08
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:19
I have been into progressive rock since the beginning. Sabbath was a heavy band that was in good favour with the progressive rock crowd, but they were never considered a progressive band.
I can think of a lot of people I would have placed before them:

John Cale: He was a conservatory trained composer who made records combining contemporary concert hall music with rock. He was making loud electronic drone music with the Dream Syndicate as early as 64.
When he was in the VU they were a far different band from what they became. His use of repeating organ and viola parts made the VU a background rhythm for his experiments mixing minimalism with rock.

Brian Auger: Excellent British keyboardist, he was a huge influence on Lord and Emmerson as well as many others. He combined psychedelic rock and jazz early on to make groundbreaking music.

Hendrix: Poor Jimi has been reduced to being a gratuituos guitar hero for the masses. The truth is, his guitar playing has been surpassed by Pete Cosey, John McLaughlin, Blackmore, Beck, Van Halen, Vai etc.

It may sound pretentious, but Jimi's main contribution was that he was a shaman who revolutionized rock music.
Also,he was there side by side with Soft Machine and Floyd bringing the new sound of rock to the masses.
His effect on others was huge. Just talk to Fripp, Emmerson, Blackmore and almost any founder of progressive rock and ask what they think of his contribution.
Also, in his later years he was able to break free from those who saught to control his career and and was able to write deep songs about loneliness and alienation full of suprising structures and chord changes ie progressive rock.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:24

Indeed - Metallica did it all first, and they're still better in many ways than Dream Theater; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5PkSiZCa2M

Improv: The heart of Progressive Rock.

/road Wink

I thought that you place form above all other things ... and that's a good thing, since Metallica hardly ever improvise (except for the late Cliff Burton) Tongue
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:26
I apologise for the totally useless post, but this is a thread about the inclusion of Black Sabbath in PA - not about Metallica, Jimi Hendrix or I don't know how many other bands and artists. Don't you all think it would be better to start another thread titled, "Bands/artists I believe to be influential for prog, or otherwise influenced by it"?

In any case, no one is going to agree on anything. It's been CLEARLY said the admission was requested by the site owner, but still I'm sure in the next few hours there'll be people at each other's throats. What really bugs me big time is PA is considered a 'traitor' to the supposed purity of prog, when there are sites bearing the same word 'prog' in their names, and having everything from The Human League to Toto to Jane's Addiction in their databaseUnhappy.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:29
^ I think it's quite normal that with the inclusion of BS the discussion also includes other possible metal inclusions. There are quite a few people who think that Metallica deserve to be included much more than Black Sabbath - or Iron Maiden for that matter. I for one accept the decisions made by the owners and the admin team, but it doesn't mean that we can't still discuss these bands in the light of such additions.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:34
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I apologise for the totally useless post, but this is a thread about the inclusion of Black Sabbath in PA - not about Metallica, Jimi Hendrix or I don't know how many other bands and artists. Don't you all think it would be better to start another thread titled, "Bands/artists I believe to be influential for prog, or otherwise influenced by it"? In any case, no one is going to agree on anything. It's been CLEARLY said the admission was requested by the site owner, but still I'm sure in the next few hours there'll be people at each other's throats. What really bugs me big time is PA is considered a 'traitor' to the supposed purity of prog, when there are sites bearing the same word 'prog' in their names, and having everything from The Human League to Toto to Jane's Addiction in their databaseUnhappy.

Oh you don't have to take me too seriously, I just thought I saw a format for some petty griping and complaining. Mostly I just like to talk music trivia and throw some opinions out there. Just passing the time really, damn insomnia.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:38
EM, I wasn't referring to you, but the situation in general. I'm sorry you have insomnia-related problems - I usually sleep very well, but there have been times I haven't been able to, and it was tough. Actually, I thought your suggestions were very nice and well thought out, therefore deserving of different, better exposure in the forum.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:51
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Hughues, why did you leave that annoyingly long discography list in the bio? It's duplication of information at best Smile

Because you're supposed to fill it in >> this is in the form you have to fill in., for oneWink

I stopped at 1998, so it should be longer, for twoTongue

I didn't pit the posthumous release, compilations and other, just historical studios and live albums. >> so I kept it short, for threeLOL

I see.... LOL
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 08:08

Hughues, why did you leave that annoyingly long discography list in the bio? It's duplication of information at best Smile

Because you're supposed to fill it in >> this is in the form you have to fill in., for oneWink

I stopped at 1998, so it should be longer, for twoTongue

I didn't pit the posthumous release, compilations and other, just historical studios and live albums. >> so I kept it short, for threeLOL

I see.... LOL

LOL Thought you would.....Stern%20SmileLOL

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

John Cale: He was a conservatory trained composer who made records combining contemporary concert hall music with rock. He was making loud electronic drone music with the Dream Syndicate as early as 64.
When he was in the VU they were a far different band from what they became. His use of repeating organ and viola parts made the VU a background rhythm for his experiments mixing minimalism with rock.

Brian Auger: Excellent British keyboardist, he was a huge influence on Lord and Emmerson as well as many others. He combined psychedelic rock and jazz early on to make groundbreaking music.

John Cale and VU have been up for discussions, and most likely some day, they'll get included.

Why Brian Auger (both with Trinity >> Proto Prog and Oblivion Express >> JR/F or prog-related) isn't in PA, is a bit beyond me. I think they'll get added soon!

Edited by Sean Trane - October 12 2007 at 17:54
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 08:35

Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

There is going to be a lot of flack and negative reviews concerning BS.

I hate to say it but get used to it,you guys wanted them here and they are here,not everybody is going to like it.

did you check earlier in the post what I asked you and mike about the review?, I just don't want to inflame any metal ffans by any offhand remark in my review

Jody,

You of all people (as an Admin) should know this was M@X's decision. Bob approached over a month ago for this and I don't  think I have said one bad word of Sabbath in my text. Therefore I don't see why metalheads and PM fans should really take it badly.

I know BS gets a lot of bs for the supposedly satan image, but I don't see the same for hatred for Black Widow.

I think you misunderstood my post Hugues.

I said what I said because Michael seemed upset that people were giving Sab albums low ratings without reviews.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 08:39
And next time...before you are in such a rush to get reviews out and announce the inclusion why don't you finish the discography first?

I have been deleting double entries most of this morning.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 09:12
Shocked!

That bilious enough for you, Hugues? Wink

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 09:22
The category "Prog-related" probably always has and always will cause some of the most controversial additions to the Archives.  With the other genres, the controversy is usually not whether the band is prog or not, but whether the band is prog in this genre or that genre (or any one of 6 genres depending on the band). 

Prog-related is a compromise category where a band can be placed when there is enough interest in the prog community to include them but they aren't progressive enough to be included as a full-fledged progressive rock band.  As has been stated in other threads "Prog-related" does not equal "Prog". 

In regards to Black Sabbath, I personally have always considered them to be a heavy metal band (one of if not the founding heavy metal band(s)).  Do I think that they should be referenced on a progressive rock website as "Prog-related"?  Yes.  Why? Because progressive metal is a category on the Prog Archives website and Black Sabbath as a founding band of heavy metal have much in common with many of the bands in the Prog Metal genre.  Unfortunately, why is this a problem?  Because where do you draw the line with including bands who have either influenced prog bands or who have created some prog songs but for the most part are non-prog.  Should it just be the older bands that founded heavy metal and had some progressive elements or should late arrivers to the heavy metal scene also be included because they are cited as a source of influence to a truly progressive band?  The great thing about the Prog Archives site is that bands are not added willy-nilly.  People with many years of experience in listening to music debate the merits of various bands and only include bands after much discussion and debate.  As has been stated in this case, the owner of the site has approved the inclusion of Black Sabbath so that is that.  Obviously it is going to cause controversy because "if  Black Sabbath were truly prog-related why did he wait until now to add them".   I for one think that it is good that a lot of thought was put into this decision before it was finally made. 

I believe that most PA users who enjoy the Prog Metal and Heavy Prog categories are probably happy to have Black Sabbath on PA so that they can review their albums and express their opinions on this great band.  Those that don't like these categories of prog are probably not too happy to have Black Sabbath included.  This is unfortunately a problem with the huge range of music that is covered under the umbrella of prog. 

In conclusion, all that I can say is that I hope that everyone respects the sites guidelines for preparing reviews.  If you have actually listened to Black Sabbath albums and you truly do not like them then feel free to give them a bad review.  If you have never listened to their albums but you just don't like the idea of them being on PA, then don't review them because it is not fair to people who use PA as a reference source.  On the other side of the debate the same should hold true for positive reviewers, if you haven't heard the albums then don't give them a positive review just because you want to counteract nonsense negative reviews.  Also, remember as great as some of their albums might be, the 5-star category as a PROG-ROCK Masterpiece should probably never apply to a Black Sabbath album unless you truly believe that the album is a work of Progressive Rock. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 09:28

Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

There is going to be a lot of flack and negative reviews concerning BS.

I hate to say it but get used to it,you guys wanted them here and they are here,not everybody is going to like it.

did you check earlier in the post what I asked you and mike about the review?, I just don't want to inflame any metal ffans by any offhand remark in my review

Jody,

You of all people (as an Admin) should know this was M@X's decision. Bob approached over a month ago for this and I don't  think I have said one bad word of Sabbath in my text. Therefore I don't see why metalheads and PM fans should really take it badly.

I know BS gets a lot of bs for the supposedly satan image, but I don't see the same for hatred for Black Widow.

I think you misunderstood my post Hugues.

I said what I said because Michael seemed upset that people were giving Sab albums low ratings without reviews.

Yup, sorry, I did misread it!!

And next time...before you are in such a rush to get reviews out and announce the inclusion why don't you finish the discography first?

I have been deleting double entries most of this morning.

Actually the understanding I had with Raf is that I opened the page up and she would fill in the albums, since I lacked time . 

So I PM'd her I had opened the page, but thinking she's in the US, she might be still asleep so I added the first three albums myself  then when I finished, I returned to the forum only to find Raf had also started adding the albums.

But I only added the fiorstthree, so there would only be three entries to take away unless someone else is working without checking.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Embarrassed

Edited by Sean Trane - October 12 2007 at 09:35
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 09:35
ShockedThrough the forum the progholes whine
Could it be the end of prog and time
Back on PA the flame of life burns low
Everywhere is misery and woe ratings low

Burning metal through the atmosphere
M@x remains in worry, hate and fear
With the forum battles raging on....

Ach, sure 'tis only music, me hearties!

or near enough....Wink

Edited by Peter - October 12 2007 at 09:39
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 09:57
So it's done then ?

I for one won't complain, understanding the prog-RELATED meaning, but boy, I'm eager to see the purists screaming HERESY !!!

I'll be one to post a few reviews for sure !
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 10:18
Black Sabbath's inclusion doesn't affect me one way or the other, but what worries me is that we're steadily losing credibility with every controversial prog-related addition, imo. Max seems to think these additions will attract new audiences - and hey, maybe he's right. We might notice a few Sabbath/Zeppelin fans cropping up in the near future, but at the same time the actual prog fans might abandon us - as has already happened with Dragon Phoenix's announcement. This is a worrying development, imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>