Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:50
Very informative, Dylan, great job.  My recent foray into Canterbury has yielded huge dividends.  Pretty much all I play in the car right now is Gong and Soft Machine (I also do have Caravan "Grey and Pink" which is quite good).  Looking to try and get some Hatfield for Christmas, I'd also like to grab that Khan album because Hillage is awesome, some Robert Wyatt, and probably National Health.
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:43
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

I also have to recommend Quiet Sun - Mainstream, also listed under Canterbury Scene here.

Also an excellent one. Although, the Canterbury Scene is fairly limited, and I kept the list fairly small as though not to cover the entire subgenre!
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:42
Ah yes, sorry I missed your post ClassicRocker. Really gotta start reading all the way through threads...

Anyway great list. I recently got Cos - Viva Boma and its fantastic. I also have to recommend Quiet Sun - Mainstream, also listed under Canterbury Scene here.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 17:54
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I'd also like to mention a band that Dylan probably forgot - Khan, featuring Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart. Their only album, Space Shanty, is quite superb (though, unfortunately,  it hasn't yet been re-released in CD format).

You sure about that? I could have sworn I saw it in J&R in New York last time I was there...I'll have to check it out again sometime.

you probably did... in case you didn't not see it later after her post.... I guess it has been re-released in CD format.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 17:49

I'd also like to mention a band that Dylan probably forgot - Khan, featuring Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart. Their only album, Space Shanty, is quite superb (though, unfortunately,  it hasn't yet been re-released in CD format).

You sure about that? I could have sworn I saw it in J&R in New York last time I was there...I'll have to check it out again sometime.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 09:15
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

You need to hear Volume One and Volume Two.  I assure you that there is no shortage of nonsense humor. 

This is absolutely true. I love the sublime VOLUME TWO especially because of its dadaist humor!
LARKSTONGUE View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 18:04
Thanks for this excellent overview.Smile
        ^        ^

(((        I        )))

The fact is, no matter how
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 17:24

If you are interested, it actually has been released by the "Eclectic Discs" label as recently as 2005. I believe the newer copies all include 2 bonus tracks as well! Of course, only a limited number of copies are produced at a given time, and due to the album's obscurity I'm sure most of us won't be finding it in any typical record store any time soon.
Anyways, here's some linkage for people looking to find it:
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Shanty-Khan/dp/B0002O39A2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1197583999&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Shanty-Khan/dp/B000BYRA4O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1197583999&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000584TJ/sr=8-3/qid=1197583999/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1197583999&sr=8-3&seller=

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 07:38
In honour of this wonderful blog, I'm listening to Caravan's superb The Show of Our Lives... Highly recommended to all lovers of Canterbury!Clap
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 07:30
excellent initiativeClap

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 09:21

I hadn't even seen this blog before, and I am even part of the Canterbury/JR team!Embarrassed

As much as I love ITLOGAP, my fav Caravan album is probably their second, If I Could Do It All Over Again.... In my opinion, it is even more representative of the band's distinctive sound than its more famous follow-up. It's a pity Richard Sinclair left the band so early in their career - he's easily one of the best singers in rock EVER, and his voice has held up pretty well, especially in comparison with many of his contemporaries.

Not to toot my own horn, but if you are interested, I have reviewed both Hatfield and the North's and National Health's albums, as well as Soft Machine's Third and Caravan's first four. One of these days I'll do Khan's too, if I get to really concentrate on the music.

Well, to be completely honest, I purchased If I could Do It All Over Again... either the day or day before I wrote this blog, and only gave it a serious listen yesterday! Embarrassed It was definitely good though, and I agree, shows a more diverse Caravan sound than ITLOGAP.

Also, I definitely didn't forget Khan!

I bought Space Shanty the same day I ordered the Caravan album. EmbarrassedLOL
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 09:04
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

Grey And Pink

There -- that's better! Wink
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 08:56
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Oh.....so Canterbury is a placeConfused

LOL Guess they don't teach Chaucer in school anymore....

I actually read that book from start to finish. Approve I also read a bit of the original Olde English version. Eugh. That wasn't so easy...
Geek Actually Shakes, Chaucer is Middle English. Though it is hard to read (it gets easier with exposure, of course), M.E. does share many words with modern English. For Old English, you have to go back even further (eg, Beowulf), and that stuff sounds more Germanic, than English.

Chaucer is taught at the university level, at least here in Canada. (I took a course.) For anyone's interest, the English town of Canterbury was the site of a popular religious shrine in the Middle Ages. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales dates from the 1300s, and takes the form of a bunch of diverse stories (some ribald, some religious, etc.) told by an imaginary, varied group of pilgrims (a miller, a knight, a prioress, etc) to pass the time as they walk to the site.Smile

Yes, I actually knew that it wasn't Olde English, it's the just the first thing I thought to call it.

(In olde English, bridge is spelled brycg I think. Smile)

I wish "Grey and Pink" wasn't such an expensive import, for me -- I want it! Ouch

I found it for 20 bucks at a CD store in Toronto. Big%20smile

Edited by Shakespeare - December 12 2007 at 08:56
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 08:46

I actually read that book from start to finish. Approve I also read a bit of the original Olde English version. Eugh. That wasn't so easy...
Geek Actually Shakes, Chaucer is Middle English. Though it is hard to read (it gets easier with exposure, of course), M.E. does share many words with modern English. For Old English, you have to go back even further (for example, Beowulf), and that stuff sounds more Germanic, than English.

Chaucer is taught at the university level, at least here in Canada. (I took a course.) For anyone's interest, the English town of Canterbury was the site of a popular religious shrine in the Middle Ages. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales dates from the 1300s, and takes the form of a bunch of diverse stories (some ribald, some religious, etc.) told by an imaginary, varied group of pilgrims (a miller, a knight, a prioress, etc) to pass the time as they walk to the site.Smile

**********************************************************************************************

On topic, yes, there's some great music in the Canterbury scene. Terrific post! Clap

I like Hatfield and the North & National health, and would include those nifty early Bruford and Brand X albums in there, as well.Thumbs%20Up

I wish "Grey and Pink" wasn't such an expensive import, for me -- I want it! Ouch

Edited by Peter - December 12 2007 at 08:56
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 08:30

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 08:24
Considering the diversity of music of the bands I am familiar with, there isn't really a particular Canterbury sound. Big%20smile A scene to be seen for sure.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 12 2007 at 08:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 07:00
I hadn't even seen this blog before, and I am even part of the Canterbury/JR team!Embarrassed

As much as I love ITLOGAP, my fav Caravan album is probably their second, If I Could Do It All Over Again.... In my opinion, it is even more representative of the band's distinctive sound than its more famous follow-up. It's a pity Richard Sinclair left the band so early in their career - he's easily one of the best singers in rock EVER, and his voice has held up pretty well, especially in comparison with many of his contemporaries.

Not to toot my own horn, but if you are interested, I have reviewed both Hatfield and the North's and National Health's albums, as well as Soft Machine's Third and Caravan's first four. One of these days I'll do Khan's too, if I get to really concentrate on the music.

Edited by Ghost Rider - December 12 2007 at 07:00
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 17:17

Edited by Angelo - December 11 2007 at 17:18
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 16:53
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 10:31
Clap Excellent! I need to track down some Muffins and Cos. 
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>