Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJudas Priest (Prog Metal)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 15:49
Scott, I LOVE that album, and I agree (to a point) with the AllMusic guide's statement. However, I would be grateful if you looked at my posts and gave some consideration to my remarks. Such an addition is going to wreak havoc on the forums, unless the Admins decide to crack down on complaints. As I have already stated, the general membership is not ready for a more 'open' approach to prog, and including a band that has such strong connections with a controversial genre such as heavy metal cannot but cause vehement reactions. Now that I am older and wiser, I wouldn't add Iron Maiden again... Unfortunately, you can't force open-mindedness on people.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 16:05
Raff, Duly noted.  All that I am asking is that they are given consideration.  If the PM team doesn't feel they are prog enough or metal enough at the same time then it is what it is.  If they are rejected for a prog category, as it appears they will be, then I think that the Admins should give it some consideration.  If they don't wish to include them then it is case dropped.

Interestingly, based on this new info from Wikipedia for their album which is scheduled for release in 2008, their might be an even stronger argument for their inclusion.  But that will depend on the actual final product.

In a June 2006 interview with MTV.com, frontman Rob Halford said in regards to the group's upcoming concept album about the legendary 16th century French prophet Nostradamus, "Nostradamus is all about metal, isn't he? He was an alchemist as well as a seer — a person of extraordinary talent. He had an amazing life that was full of trial and tribulation and joy and sorrow. He's a very human character and a world-famous individual. You can take his name and translate it into any language and everybody knows about him, and that's important because we're dealing with a worldwide audience."[17]

In addition to digging new lyrical ground for the band, the album will contain musical elements which might surprise their fans. "It's going to have a lot of depth", Halford said. "There'll be a lot of symphonic elements. We might orchestrate it, without it being overblown. There may be a massive choir at parts and keyboards will be featured more prominently, whereas they've always been in the background before."[

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 16:16
 ^ sounds exciting!

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 16:28
I thought it sounded quite exciting too.  I am not sure if there is an anticipated release date yet or maybe some samples somewhere, but it sounds like this could be a great album.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 00:57
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

If this happens (and it will), David Bowie will... no, he'll probably just stay right where he is, swimming on lots of money...

that isn't exactly constructive ..and has been the problem with trying to discuss bands like this.  Those kind of statements.

First off.. for reasons already stated...  Judas Priest has a slight chance of being here and has nothing to do whatsoever with Bowie.

The problem of discussing Judas Priest is Judas Priest. Bowie is just a vehicle to say "¿you seriously consider Judas Priest and reject Bowie?". 
Now, I want to make this clear: I do not think David Bowie should be added. That goes also for Mercury Rev and other bands wich I won't list right now. Having said that, if someone says "Judas Priest", it forces me to reconsider my concepto of prog - prog related. And within that "acomodated" logic, David Bowie sounds more than reasonable.

On Judas Priest itself, I'm pretty sure that, if asked, they would laugh at the idea of being considered a prog band. Mercury Rev would react the same.

Edited by cuncuna - March 16 2008 at 12:28
¡Beware of the Bee!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 17:19

But as a Proto-Prog metal band, they dot all the i's and cross all the t's - more so than Iron Maiden.

I'm not saying "If Maiden are here...", just pointing out that it would take a very long time to count the Prog Metal bands directly influenced by Priest (as opposed to indirect influence like, say, a particular Classical composer, where a PM band might quote a composer or write in the style for a few bars, but would never construct an entire piece that sounded like a classical composition).

"Rocka Rolla" is, to my ears at least, every bit as proggy as anything Uriah Heep released - just without the organ.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 18:01
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

But as a Proto-Prog metal band, they dot all the i's and cross all the t's - more so than Iron Maiden.

I'm not saying "If Maiden are here...", just pointing out that it would take a very long time to count the Prog Metal bands directly influenced by Priest (as opposed to indirect influence like, say, a particular Classical composer, where a PM band might quote a composer or write in the style for a few bars, but would never construct an entire piece that sounded like a classical composition).

"Rocka Rolla" is, to my ears at least, every bit as proggy as anything Uriah Heep released - just without the organ.

amen brother...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0iX2q4pw8
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 18:09
^^ I just love that song. And the band. Especially the 70s album, with my favourite being Sad Wings Of Destiny-Sin After Sin-Stained Class Embarrassed.

I don't have a problem with them being added, and I don't have a problem with a big Prog-Related section. I am however worried about the fact that those bands are given as much credibility as the prog bands on the site. Don't know how to solve that problem though...I also think that the P-R and P-P sections are great in for attracting people to the site, and thus help them discover that they like a lot of the "pure" prog bands. The battle rages on I guess.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 18:11
what great old footage!  seeing them on The Old Grey Whistle Test is just too much.. akin to the Doors on Sullivan 

LOLLOL

wonderful

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 18:13
or this classic Mark hahhaha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFx_kcypAGU

I'm no expert on Prog Metal...  and I'll leave it to them to say... but it sure as hell sounds like prog metal to me hahhah. Oh wait .. no keys or tron... it can't be prog LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 18:22
^^ Love that one as well! Really need some Priest now LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

hahhaha..  me too... just put some in myself ....
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Yep, THE BATTLE RAGES ON!
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 20:19
Judas Priest as a prog band???? You have to be kidding. NO. That's absurd and ridiculous.
And therein lies the very crux of the problem with this way too generous profusion of "prog metal" bands on this site. Virtually anyone who ever performed a 3 chord riff and growled will be listed on here soon.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 20:24
this discussion is (or has become) not about whether Priest should be considered a Prog band, but whether their music impacted other musicians who eventually developed true progessive metal

frankly I think Cert has a point even though I credit Maiden with a bigger influence on Voivod, Metallica's prog periods and bands as DT

Edited by Atavachron - April 22 2008 at 20:33
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 22:24
I simply don't think Judas Priest are prog metal in the slightest.Great heavy metal,and they probably influenced many of today's prog metal musicians,but I don't see them as PM.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 22:30
I didn't think so either... not by what constisutes PM by todays standards of course.   but what may sort of throws the discussion off kilter is that .. at least for some including me till I sort of saw what PM was about and how you all are defining it...  those early early years.. were definitely metal.. or could easily be called metal... and were quite prog.  I do think Mark has a point... on the surface .. they were just as prog as a good many groups that occupy unquestioned spots here at the archives. ..such as Uriah Heep.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 23:03
I would say their output up until "Stained Class"  was quite progressive, although I wouldn´t say they are a Progressive Metal Band, but could easily fit in the same genre as Sabbath
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 23:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I didn't think so either... not by what constisutes PM by todays standards of course.   but what may sort of throws the discussion off kilter is that .. at least for some including me till I sort of saw what PM was about and how you all are defining it...  those early early years.. were definitely metal.. or could easily be called metal... and were quite prog.  I do think Mark has a point... on the surface .. they were just as prog as a good many groups that occupy unquestioned spots here at the archives. ..such as Uriah Heep.

I think their early albums can be considered "proto prog metal",but we don't have that category here.

Edited by TheProgtologist - April 22 2008 at 23:13

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 01:34
Proto-prog metal would be Prog related, as it is related to prog metal.

personally i think Judas prieast aren't prog, and I wouldn't consider them for prog-related also, but if it's really the case they are proto-prog metal, I think they are elidgable for Prog-Related.

of course the problem with that is it basically means that Metallica again come into the equation as they can surely be considered proto prog.

my personal opinion is Judas Priest is an early metal band, pionering the metal genre, and by doing so paving the way for proto-prog metal (Iron Maiden and Metallica and 80's glam metal), so for me it's a no, but if their influence on prog-metal is really significant (which i can't judge, because i like metal, but hardly ever listen to progressive metal) it can be considered for Prog Related.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>