FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes to tour with "Understudy" singer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 20:50
Ticket price in NY - $123.50!!! Shocked

"Forget about it!' If Jon & Rick were there maybe, but, not now!
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 06:03
They should have asked Annie Haslam to join as lead singer!

I've just had the pleasure of hearing her version of 'Turn of the Century' from her album 'Live under Brazilian Skies'.

That really made me sit up and take notice. I find this version to be 10 times better than the original, she has a comparable voice to Jon Anderson on this song, plus the emotion that his voice lacks. 

Edited by npjnpj - September 24 2008 at 06:03
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:14
Sounds like if they'd have been a bit more patient a REAL Yes tour would have happened next year. Now the chances of that are just about nil and he may even have caused irrepairable damage for the future. I've seen Yes 8 times now so I'll say no to a glorified tribute band and give them a miss.

Edited by Nightfly - September 24 2008 at 11:16
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:16
Annie Haslam could make "happy birthday to you" sound like a masterpiece.Thumbs%20Up
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:33
Yeah, that would be cool. It reminds me of Genesis recruiting Ray Wison for Calling all Stations. It no work. This guy does sound a lot like Anderson but it still no going to work especially for $123.50. Especially that last 50 cents that`s what would break my bank.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:45
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

Actually contemporary Focus is just Thijs van Leer and three fans of old Focus - so only Chris could be left in Yes
Pierre van der Linden is back.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:56
I'm not sure if I can see Yes without Jon.  There would have been no worries having Oliver on keys (I saw several concerts with Khoroshev and it was great because they played Gates - as an aside I wonder if Oliver would have hangups about Relayer stuff because his father didn't play on it?  Hmm.).  But this is different, plus Jon is really hurt by this.  Doesn't Squire have exclusive rights to the name "Yes"?  Legally fine I suppose but it's the sort of "bitchiness" that unfortunately seems to plague Yes.

Definitely wouldn't pay > $100 for this either.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 14:40
I think Squire has lost his marbles. I thought the end was nigh with Drama but it turned out to be one of their best albums but they weren`t really trying to replace Anderson but just to put together a different "mark" of the band. Here I think Squire is trying to put up a Jon Anderson clone and it just no going to work. 
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 18:47
Could be. But the reality seems to be that the "franchise" draws better than the individual members. So many will go see Yes, no matter what agglomeration; while many of the same wouldn't bother buying tickets for an Anderson/Howe/Squire/Moraz tour.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 05:28
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

(I saw several concerts with Khoroshev and it was great because they played Gates - as an aside I wonder if Oliver would have hangups about Relayer stuff because his father didn't play on it?  Hmm.). 

Definitely wouldn't pay > $100 for this either.

According to the interview on NFTE, Oliver never bought that album and only knows "Soon".

Well, I hope that Jon comes up with a surprise. What about Anderson Bruford Moraz Rabin?Wink
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 15:33
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Seems Jon Anderson is a bit miffed:

"Disappointed, and very Disrespected Disappointed that, with the exception of one phone call from Alan, none of the guys have been in touch since my illness, just to find out how I am doing, and how we will foresee the future for YES. And disappointed that they were not willing to wait till 2009 when I’m fully recovered. And I feel very disrespected, having spent most of this year creating songs and constant ideas for the band, spending time with Roger Dean creating a stage design, also working with VH1 and Sirius and XM Radio to help promote the welfare of YES. Getting sick was not "on my radar”, and I thank my own angel Janeee and my family for helping me through this difficult time, and the many well wishers, friends and fans alike, for understanding that ''things happen''. Of course I wish the guys all the best in their 'solo' work, but I just wish this could have been done in a more gentlemanly fashion. After all YES is a precious musical band. This is not YES on tour... I send best wishes to one and all, Jon"

Having read this, I can only say: shame on the others!
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 20:28
I wonder what Howe said when Yes came out with 90125 ? 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 05:58
Changing the tact slightly Robert Plant has finally agreed to join Zep for next year's tour. The more I think about it the more mindboggling it is that Squire and co have gone ahead this year without JA and not waiting a bit...Confused

Mind you who said that all people in their 60's make rational decisions.....................
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 07:24
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

Changing the tact slightly Robert Plant has finally agreed to join Zep for next year's tour. The more I think about it the more mindboggling it is that Squire and co have gone ahead this year without JA and not waiting a bit...Confused

Mind you who said that all people in their 60's make rational decisions.....................

Please give us a link for the Zep story ???????Shocked
Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 21:41
Just to point out something interesting, Robert Plant initially refused to take part in the reunion tour. However, it's been said that Led Zep were planning on a tour without Plant because an American fellow impressed them so much that they thought they didn't need him. This sentiment, clearly, struck fear into Robert's heart and he suddenly changed his mind. Funny how this seems to connect with the current issue, no?

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that Chris, Steve and Alan did this without Jon's consent. HE should be the one to OK the "understudy" in my mind. However, I also think it's ridiculous that Jon is as irate as he is. Who's he to say what Yes is and isn't? Who's ANYBODY to say? Moreover, who's to CARE? If this group toured under a different name, it'd still be the same product. Whether or not it's genuinely "Yes" is immaterial. People are too hung up on nomenclature.

As for musical matters, Benoit David's AMAZING. Check out that climactic note before the pipe organ in CTTE in the YouTube video. Every bit as strong as even Jon's best nights. There are actually some advantages to this lineup, i.e. being able to perform music from Drama and stuff that Jon doesn't like. Also, one must admit, as much as we all love Rick, he's a real limiting factor on their setlists. I really don't know if Oliver is any more open minded, but one thing's for sure, if Rick was on the tour, we certainly wouldn't be hearing Ritual. (And we may not, anyway, I'm just sayin'.) Even if it was sub-par for Yes, it'd be unique.

Sadly, I won't be able to see the tour anyway. Hopefully next summer they'll reunite with Jon, because in light of everything I just said, Jon's the REAL singer from my favorite band. He's the one we've all listened to for as long as we've been fans.

In addition, is anybody else slightly unconvinced that this is actually going to happen? I mean, it sorta sounds like the "More Drama" tour, doesn't it? And we all know how THAT went over.

Edited by Syntharachnid - September 26 2008 at 21:42
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 21:58
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

I saw it of all places in The Sun online UK

<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 23:44

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

I saw it of all places in The Sun online UK

If Queen picked up Paul Rodgers, maybe Zep was looking at Sammy Hagar ? Smile
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 11:49

Jon will never be back (IMO)

(at least NOT for a "full tour")
Slip Frog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 11:04

I know Benoit and, yes he's a good singer, with the same voice and looks, but he has also the same spirit, a simple guy with a family, with a heart for Yes music and with all the good intentions.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 16:47
It appears that at least here in Detroit, they are marketing the concert as Steve Howe, Chris Squire, and Alan White of Yes, and not just as Yes.  A small difference, but I think an important one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>