Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Experiences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Do You Remember Your Dreams?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.38%]
17 [40.48%]
4 [9.52%]
1 [2.38%]
10 [23.81%]
7 [16.67%]
2 [4.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 12:15
BTW I voted 'rarely'

Notwithstanding the disjointed, convoluted and plain vanilla 'surface irrational' nature of the dream world, I suspect that it is probably impossible for our subconscious to lie to us i.e. can an individual be disingenuous while dreaming ? Was I guilty of nothing more than 'boyish high spirits' when I stole that candy bar at age 6 ?

Jay, as a medical man you must have some thoughts on this ? (Hope you weren't a newsagent in Scotland in 1968 however Embarrassed)
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 18:50
Snoop Dogg in a dream at a chinese restaurant told me I don't get bitches because I don't smoke weed
not saying I advocate the position one way or the other, but there is a direct correlation of lacking both bitches and weedsmoking

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 20:26
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I wanted to start a new subject to shoot the breeze about, so....

I think I have a fairly unique experience that it feels, to me, that I am dreaming continuously from the time I go to sleep until I wake up. Anytime I wake up, I could tell you what I had been dreaming. There is a set of dream where I literally feel like I'm walking through syrup in the dream, which I assume is some sort of deeper sleep.

Last evening I was meditating and actually could feel the transition happening and had a little power over the process (not as much as I'd like). Unfortunately, I often fall asleep while meditating or anything relaxing.

Sorry dude, I did a thread though not a poll on this before.  Or am I really here?  The Stupid Dream thread.  So if you want to write on stupid dreams specifically rather than dream experiences in general feel free to drop by. LOL ***

So I've written on the forums about dreams before.  I wonder if I'll contradict myself or provide new insights into my twisted mind. 

I've been fascinated by dreams since a young child.  I think my enjoyment of prog music ties in in some way. 

From what I've read you are more likely to remember your dreams from the morning than the evening, which has correlated with my personal experiences.  And from further experiences in life, it tends to be dependent on waking up at the end.

Lucid dreaming can also be fun.  That's when you realize you are in a dream and start to take control or participate more actively in the events of the dream. 

I have found that the dreams I remember most tend to be of a rather dark nature...

*** Proceeds from you contributing to that thread will go to the benefit of no one as there are no proceeds for contributing to that thread.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 15 2010 at 20:41
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 20:34
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

Snoop Dogg in a dream at a chinese restaurant told me I don't get bitches because I don't smoke weed
not saying I advocate the position one way or the other, but there is a direct correlation of lacking both bitches and weedsmoking

That's hilarious. LOL

On topic: I rarely remember my dreams. When I do remember them, most of them are very bizarre.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 20:44
Actually to answer the question, it completely varies on the dream.

By the way anyone ever have that dream where you're falling and feels like you physically hit the bed on your back and you wake up?  I haven't had that one in a long while.  It only seems to happen when I'm asleep on my back and I haven't been sleeping on my back in a while which may explain why it hasn't happened in a while.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 15 2010 at 21:01
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 20:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Actually to answer the question, it completely varies on the dream.

By the way anyone ever have that dream where you're falling and feels like you physically hit the bed on your back and you wake up?  I haven't had that one in a long while.  It only seems to happen when I'm asleep on my back and I haven't been sleeping on my back in a while which may explain why it hasn't happened in a while.

I get a more benign variation of "whoops I slipped and fell" rather than the stereotypical falling from the sky bit

progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 20:51

By the way anyone ever have that dream where you're falling and feels like you physically hit the bed on your back and you wake up? I haven't had that one in a long while. It only seems to happen when I'm asleep on my back and I haven't been sleeping on my back in a while which may explain why it hasn't happened in a while.

I have those weekly It always does feel like you're thrown back on to your bed when you wake up, though
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 21:01
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

By the way anyone ever have that dream where you're falling and feels like you physically hit the bed on your back and you wake up? I haven't had that one in a long while. It only seems to happen when I'm asleep on my back and I haven't been sleeping on my back in a while which may explain why it hasn't happened in a while.

I have those weekly It always does feel like you're thrown back on to your bed when you wake up, though

Exactly.  I think your body has a spasm or something and that terminates the dream phase.

And I always find myself feeling really good that I fell on to my back on my bed in a dream instead of on the ground in real life. 

And yes, I've never been skydiving and don't want to.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 16 2010 at 06:02
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 01:13

Exactly.  I think your body has a spasm or something and that terminates the dream phase.

And I always find myself feeling really good that I fell on to my back on my bed in a dream instead of on the ground in real life. 

I think it might be because of your body relaxing and your brain interpreting it as falling. something like that.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 02:36
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I think it might be because of your body relaxing and your brain interpreting it as falling. something like that.
It's called a Hypnic Jerk - (cue jokes Wink)

Edited by Dean - January 16 2010 at 02:37
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 06:01
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It's called a Hypnic Jerk - (cue jokes Wink)

Alrighty then, joke number one: Sounds like a good name for a prog band, The Hypnic Jerks.

Thanks for that, seriously.  I did not know the phenomena had a name.

Here's another one: That Wiki article was actually informative.  Now I know I must be dreaming.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 16 2010 at 06:08
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 19:47
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I find that if I concentrate on my dreams when I first wake up, it helps me to remember my dreams. I have read that it is best to keep a dream diary, in which you right down everything you remember from your dreams. I think it is supposed to help you focus on your sleeping habits and can allow you to have lucid dreams.

Thats what i´ve read.. the whole lucid dreaming thing is very interesting!

It is actually a thing one can learn - the more you tend to remember your dreams the easier.

For the ones who are interested in this subject and feel that they could draw something really interesting or important out of their dreams i recommend the book "Exploring the world of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge and Howard Rheingold. ( just ~5 € at amazon).

it requires a bit of discipline but i even had the first improvement in dream recalling while i just started to read this book. it is not about interpreting your dreams but it helps you to remember more of them - the final goal is to get the ability to be aware that you are dreaming (in your dream) and furthermore to take controll of your acting and over the whole dream:

quote: " ... you could do anything your mind could conceive. thus inspired you might fly to the heavens. you might dare to face someone or something that you have been avoiding; you might choose an erotic encounter with the most desireable partner you can imagine; you might visit a deceased loved one to whom you have been wanting to speak; you might seek self knowledge and wisdom."

i think it is worth a trie Wink

It's just a ride... <3
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 08:01
I've had the 'dream deja vu' that Epignosis mentioned earlier. I get it quite a lot actually. One's I haven't had for years come back exactly as they were... I seem to go through periods of time when I remember nothing from my dreams for a while and then others when I know them in good detail more often than not. Weird isn't it? Confused
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 23:32
Unfortunately, I haven't had a dream in quite a while, possibly weeks.
When I do dream, I remember them most of the time, oftentimes because my dreams tend to be so surreal and wonky.  The funny thing is, my dreams seem to make so much sense in the dream world itself, yet when I wake up, I say to myself, 'What the **** was I thinking?  Did that really make sense just minutes ago?'
I also remember certain sets of dreams, from as far back as when I was very young to the present, sometimes because they are recurring 'deja vu' dreams like mentioned before, sometimes because they were incredibly cool or thought provoking, sometimes because they were weird as ****.

Here's an example of the first dream that came to mind:
I owned a one-story motel somewhere outside of a town in Arizona.  Business was okay.
One day, though, a torrential downfall started and the water level on the ground actually accumulated so much that it came up to the windows on the first floor.  It kept on raining so hard that I had to build a second floor above the first just so that my motel would stay above the water level.  This downfall kept pouring rain hour after hour, and I kept building story upon story on my motel - for fifty stories.
After about a week the rain stopped, and I was one story above the water, with fifty stories below the water.  It was actually kinda cool: you could go down levels and look out the windows; for some reason, no water leaked in.  It was like the opposite of a skyscraper.
For about a month, people came in boats over the new ocean planet to stay at my motel.  Then one day, the water levels resided in one night, and my motel, weakened structurally by being underwater, came crashing down to the ground.  Luckily, I could fly LOL

Sometimes I get those lucid dreams, and those are pretty fun, but usually end kinda quickly.
About a year ago I started hearing music in my dreams.  Really beautiful music that was incredibly moving.  But when I would wake up, I could only remember a few notes of the music, and maybe how it made me feel, but that's about it.  Maybe I should try some Toby Driver-esque techniques to try and put this music to writing.
WillieThePimp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 16:19
I do remember quite a bit of my dreams, or at least fragments of them. Statistically speaking though I would probably have to say rarely because if I do not try to recall them after I wake up, I will forget them.

This morning I had one of the craziest dreams. I remember it had David Eugene Edwards from the band Wovenhand in it and instead of being the righteous man that he tries to be, he was an unsavory fellow. It was like he was one of the characters in his songs.
You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket
WillieThePimp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 16:21
Oh! and I remember one where I was standing in the front yard of the house that I grew up in and a man in white that looked like Jesus with beautiful "technicolor" wings flying in circles around a young oak tree.
You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket
Tuonela View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 10:44
Oh man, I have dreams practically every night and I almost always remember them vividly... they usually contain some nightmarish parts as well, I guess my subconscious is a bit messed up...

I also have those "dream deja vu's" where dreams reoccur. Sometimes they are just images that keep popping back in dreams, and sometimes they are like real deja vu, where I know I dreamt the exact dream before, but can't quite remember when... I think it really is just deja vu...
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 10:58

Last night I had a dream so intense and action packed that I woke up exhausted. One scene involved me following a river to its source inside some cave where I had to go some mystical transformation to save humanity. However this involved bugs crawling through my body and changing my flesh. I was subsequently able to heal and do cool things, but it was not a restful night.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 11:16

I never ever remember anything at all!
Which makes me conclude I go into some kind of brain-dead state when I sleep. 
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 11:18
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Last night I had a dream so intense and action packed that I woke up exhausted. One scene involved me following a river to its source inside some cave where I had to go some mystical transformation to save humanity. However this involved bugs crawling through my body and changing my flesh. I was subsequently able to heal and do cool things, but it was not a restful night.

Oh... creepy dream you've got... at least we know now that you will save us all... Wink I just forgot my last night dream... I do remember it has something about myth and fear inside but right now the dream is gone...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>