Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre we snobs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 22:14
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

i am such a prog snob I have even segregated my non prog cds from my prog cds as they are not good enough to hang next to the prog ones.

Gdub ^, !!

I saw it after I posted my reply....

Wow! That is on the edge of amazing. I have my Prog cds stacked on top of my Grateful Dead cds

I have all mine in alphabetical order, and different albums by the same band in order of release......

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 22:22

i am such a prog snob I have even segregated my non prog cds from my prog cds as they are not good enough to hang next to the prog ones.

Gdub ^, !!

Wow! That is on the edge of amazing. I have my Prog cds stacked on top of my Grateful Dead cds

I have all mine in alphabetical order, and different albums by the same band in order of release......

Me too, and my prog albums used to be segregated (just recently I threw all my albums together).

As for the snob thing, yeah i suppose but im way better than i was. I pretty much like every genre of music, and can get along with most music fans. Unless they bash something I like then I bite my toungue. Or if they like pavement... then I let em have it  

Storm-Crow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 22:43
Yes i definetely am a snob because i love to be arrogant and egotistical when it comes to things such as music because i have enough understanding of music to know that progressive rock is superior than mainstream music in every way.  Yet im an even bigger snob when people give me a hard time for not conforming to more popular music of the present day. 
Take a salt tablet!!!
Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 23:30
I guess I'm a snob, but not as much as some here. My last girlfriend used to call me a musical snob, but she'd crap if she saw the things some of you guys come up with.
con safo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 23:39
Well over the last few years ive been into many different genres, so im usually not one to bash someones music taste, unless they're into truly bad music, then i can probably get pretty irritating. Only time i ever get snobby is when my music taste is criticised, i can get extremely defensive.. But i don't see myself as a snob, i respect most genres.
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 00:34

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 02:09

Gdub ^, !!

- Count me in this fray - my prog albums are separated from everything else - not in alphabetic order at the moment but different albums by the same band are definitely in order of release. I am a prog snob at heart...  

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 02:18

"I like to listen to music. Whatever plays on the radio on I see on MTV. There was a good song I heard the other day ... by Jessica Simpson ... take my breath away, I think ... nice song ... sounds a bit like an oldie though ..."

How does your inner voice react to that? I'm still a snob at heart, I'm afraid, although nowhere as bad as I used to be ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 02:37

Snob is not the right term, because a snob person believes his taste is superior to the rest when he/she really doesn't have a clue about good taste, often snob is a synonym for tasteless new rich, who eats caviar with his taco or drinks Scotch with Fanta, only because caviar and Scotch are exepensive and despite the fact they hate the taste of caviar and Scotch..

We really believe Prog' is the best music ever, and most of us have enough knowledge to debate the point.

So call us pedants, proud of our taste, an elite or whatever except snob.

Iván

James Hill View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 03:19
Of course we are and im proud of it.Have you heard the crap they call music nowdays?How is it someone can speak ebonics over a drum machine and get a number 1 hit?We need to be snobs.The reason for the success of dance music and rap was the simplistic revolution of punk rock which preached stripped down music and allowed for crap like hip hop to exist in the first place.Who needs to learn how to play a instrument these days?
symphonic james
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 03:33

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Probably not as much as people who listen only to classical music, and think that any music from the popular culture has to be further down the evolutionary scale...

I listen to a lot of "classical" music, and would agree with that sentiment anyway...

Musical snob - and PROUD of it

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 03:59
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I'm such a snob I turn my nose up at myself.
Surprised you can see your nose through all that face fungus!

Oi!

Watch it - there are many more of us here with the facial mirkins, you know.

Us beardies are the elite of the prog-snobs - we're far too busy listening to superior music to worry about baby-bottie-smooth-face-panty-wasting-shaving-type...er...th ings.

Edited by Jim Garten

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 04:23

No, I don't think I am a musical snob.

I listen to whatever I like, be it classical music, jazz, new age, prog, rock or pop. And I will never criticize someone else's taste in music. I only pity those who do not like music at all.

Sample from our pop/rock CD collection, under A: ABBA, Aerosmith, Aimee Mann, Alan PArsons Project, Alainis Morrisette, Alice Cooper, Alice in Chains, Alicia Keys, Alison Moyet, Alquin, Al Stewart, America, Ange, Angra, Anne Murray, Anne-Sofie von Otter & Elvis Costello, Annie Lennox, Apocalyptica, Autour de Lucie, Ayreon. Rather mixed!

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 05:09

I had to have plastic surgery to remove the second nose growing on my forehead, as most people called me a snob regarding my music tastes.

More seriously , I avoid making fun of other's musical tastes , this allows for me not to appear snobbish , and makes it easier for others to accept my tastes, and even have them to enjoy the musicx I listen to . Of course I will avoid UZ or DT as a prog introduction to these poor lost souls only waiting for their musical taste saviour - MOI , en l'occurence (in this case).

The origin of being a snob is so: Snobbery is technically being at the avant-garde or fads or arts , therefore being a bit of a groundbreaker , an original , an Artiste! Once the fad has caught on , the snob realizes that his tastes are now obsolete (or that even the most backwards province know of the cause he was championning ), and will move away from this where he does not want be seen with such trend-followers and find new unexplored space where he can be seen again the trendsetter.

so technically progheads are not snobs but the ones saying they are snobs because they are saying their tastes are better than most are being sectarians.

How was that for such pedantic snobery?

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
InfinityCascade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 06:36

Were not pompous, we've just go a larger share of brain cells than everyone else, and we've got a better taste in music and we rule the world...

Oh wait I guess that makes us quite pompous then!

While your reading signitures, your losing brain cells...
The average internet geek spends three years reading signitures...
Thankyou all for your brain cell donations...
Winterfamily View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 07:43
Originally posted by James Hill James Hill wrote:

Of course we are and im proud of it.Have you heard the crap they call music nowdays?How is it someone can speak ebonics over a drum machine and get a number 1 hit?We need to be snobs.The reason for the success of dance music and rap was the simplistic revolution of punk rock which preached stripped down music and allowed for crap like hip hop to exist in the first place.Who needs to learn how to play a instrument these days?

Well, Gil Scott - Heron and The Last Poets started to make rap (or proto - rap) records in the late sixties. A decade before sex Pistols, i think. Blame it on cheap drum machines and Emulator keyboards, not on punk rock.

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 08:10

I don't act or dress like one so I'm not one.

CYMRU AM BYTH
atomicbomb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 08:46

Originally posted by Hierophant Hierophant wrote:

I love making fun of my friends' sorry taste in music.

ehehheh thats very fun, indeed....

of course we're snobs.......everyone is, that's human nature.....some about their body shapes, other by their popularity....i say our music snobness is quite allright.....

Gentle Ronnie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 09:14

Prog is the best kind of music, and if you disagree with me...

YOU'RE WRONG!

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 09:37
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Probably not as much as people who listen only to classical music, and think that any music from the popular culture has to be further down the evolutionary scale...

I listen to a lot of "classical" music, and would agree with that sentiment anyway...

Musical snob - and PROUD of it

Thanks for your comment Certif1ed...

That isn't having a stab at classical by the way, if I don't listen to prog, then classical is my second choice... its just that on several occasions I have come across this attitude, both in real life and thru the media, which I don't think does the genre a lot of favours.

Prog people on the other hand are such a chilled out, laid back, easy going group, who would embrace you whatever your musicality!

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>