Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 52>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 15:15
Yes, to all of the above, speaking to the potential themes (if there are lesser [or more] participants, and sometimes including PA artists; what comprises the body used as a musical instrument etc. 
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 16:24
@Prophesy disaster:

I am in favor of opening sometimes polls to groups present in Pa, and sometimes to polls of prog music only.

In fact, we have already done polls open to groups of progarchives: with We love the sixties I opened to proto-prog and prog-related, then with the poll on the Protest songs I opened to all the groups present in PA. The Anders also did a folk poll open to bands present in PA (I chose Stormy Six) and I don't remember who else.

@Mila-13
I don't know any band that makes music only with the body: the snap of their hands or whatever.

At most I know the vocal groups, a famous example: the Housemartins singing The Caravan of Love.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 16:43
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

@Mila-13
I don't know any band that makes music only with the body: the snap of their hands or whatever.

At most I know the vocal groups, a famous example: the Housemartins singing The Caravan of Love.

There is a misunderstanding, obviously. This is what I wrote in my further description of the theme (reply to Greg): " Either way, body percussion and other techniques of producing sounds by using parts of the human body may be performed on their own or as an accompaniment to music and/or dance."

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 17:13
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

@Mila-13

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">There is a misunderstanding, obviously. This is what I wrote in my further description of the theme (reply to Greg): " Either way, body percussion and other techniques of producing sounds by using parts of the human body may be performed on their own or as an accompaniment to music and/or dance."</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
</span>

Yes, I read. And you have also written: <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">whistling, clapping hands, snapping fingers, stomping/tapping foot. In fact it is primarily about percussion and rhythm. Moreover, some thechniques include the use of vocals (vocal percussion) such as beatboxing or the Indian "konnakol".... </span><span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">An expansion of the subject would be another option, f.e. under the title "The World Is a Drum"?</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">I still dont understand what you are referring to, and I still do not know any group that makes music with the body ("</span>body percussion and other techniques of producing sounds by using parts of the human body") <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">or that uses vocals only as a rhythm, I repeat: I only know vocal groups, which use only the voice or at most sometimes snap the fingers, as for Caravan of Love.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Or this song: Is it ok?</span>

Edited by jamesbaldwin - August 23 2021 at 21:05
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 02:03

@ jamesbaldwin

I was rather focusing on rhythm and percussion. There are many musical styles where rhythm plays a central role. You have f.e. all kind of tapdance and related musical genres, music genres where various techniques are combined (f.e. flamenco: hand clapping, foot work), vocal percussion such as beatboxing etc. Clapping hands, stomping and snapping fingers you can also see in other musical genres such as blues, rock music and jazz. But on the other hand an umbrella term that would include all kind of rhythm instruments and techniques including the use of the human body and voice as a rhythm instrument might be even more interesting and would appeal to a broader audience?

Vocals and various singing techniques are definitely another interesting but also a big musical theme that would deserve a separate edition imo.

Edited by Mila-13 - August 24 2021 at 02:38
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 04:29
My personal advice would be:

1) Be sure to define clearly what the requirements are, so that the standard reader has a clear idea what to look for, and

2) be sure to make your definition broad enough that you're confident that the vast majority of potential participants will not only know *something*, but something that they know well and really love, which makes it worthwhile to nominate it.

@Mila: We had a related discussion in my poll, and my impression was that you found my definition too wide and unspecific, so that finally you wrote that it would have been helpful to say more exactly what I want. The reason why I didn't do so is exactly item 2 above - the "definition" was kind of minimalist (still sufficiently clear, I believe), intentionally so that many could find something that can fit, even if this means that people have quite different takes on the topic. 

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 08:01
To my mind, at least, Lorenzo is a final word on what should or should not work, as this style of poll, is his creation, as it originated.  Of course, along with the individual poll creators, as they present their polls.  Christian also states it quite well in his above post, following the intent and structure of the polls, while changing the overall theme with each poll, but not the overarching principals. 

I think thus far, we've found a good balance of not getting too outre with what may be one person's specialty, if you will, that perhaps is an area not well known enough to a majority of the poll participants.  Overthinking in order to be original may be some of what I, at least, am seeing.  

For example, we can always return to a past theme, certainly newer joiners would have other music to present and we may also have discovered more in the time that has elapsed, if one is finding it too hard to come up with something we haven't yet covered.

Edited by Snicolette - August 24 2021 at 08:58
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 11:26
Basically my problem is that (as I hsve already said), if we didn't include the vocals group, I wouldn't imagine a song made only with the sounds of the body movements.

I ignore this kind of music.

(ok, I could think to some Fred Astaire's tip tap that I saw on TV when I was a child, but I don't remember exactly a particular piece, I should sesrch for some tip tap passage on YouTube, but this is not a real pleasurw)
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 12:00
I personally think the idea of a poll with body percussion is a bit too narrow. Apart from Bobby McFerrin I know very little such music, and it would require a lot of research for my part.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 12:46

Basically my problem is that (as I hsve already said), if we didn't include the vocals group, I wouldn't imagine a song made only with the sounds of the body movements.

I ignore this kind of music.

(ok, I could think to some Fred Astaire's tip tap that I saw on TV when I was a child, but I don't remember exactly a particular piece, I should sesrch for some tip tap passage on YouTube, but this is not a real pleasurw)

That's no big deal for me. The proposed poll topic was a spontaneous idea but I didn't want to go into too much detail right from the beginning. I wanted to get some feedback first. Again, I was in the first place thinking of those percussive sounds as an accompaniment to music and/or dance. My conclusion from this discussion is that it might make more sense to put this idea of mine into a wider context, that is to include it into a poll about f.e. rhythm and percussion.

But I think that I as a newbie should rather stick to a simple theme. I’m referring to my initial proposal about Asia and Asian music as a source of inspiration for musicians from the Western world. If you are still interested, please let me know when my turn is.

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 13:14
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

My personal advice would be:

1) Be sure to define clearly what the requirements are, so that the standard reader has a clear idea what to look for, and

2) be sure to make your definition broad enough that you're confident that the vast majority of potential participants will not only know *something*, but something that they know well and really love, which makes it worthwhile to nominate it.

@Mila: We had a related discussion in my poll, and my impression was that you found my definition too wide and unspecific, so that finally you wrote that it would have been helpful to say more exactly what I want. The reason why I didn't do so is exactly item 2 above - the "definition" was kind of minimalist (still sufficiently clear, I believe), intentionally so that many could find something that can fit, even if this means that people have quite different takes on the topic. 

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated! I have meanwhil talked to Lorenzo and you can see my statement above. I would agree with you that the info about a poll theme should be short and concise. As mentioned earlier, I found yours a bit misleading, though. Your examples all headed in the same direction (rap, poetry, dialogue). Thus I was all the more surprised about your statement that you as a host of that poll actually didn't really care about lyrics. Tongue

Edited by Mila-13 - August 24 2021 at 13:55
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 14:11
When the time comes, I could go with either an Asia or a human body theme, though off the top of my head, my collection is limited to a few tracks that could work for the human body theme. But one track (or two if PA is allowed) that I have in mind could work with either theme as it is a world fusion track with a bit of konnakol in it.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 14:18
@Mila-13

The important thing is not that I am interested, but that everyone is interested. I think we all try to cooperate democratically here, if anything I am the coordinator of the polls calendar. The idea of putting a theme on the polls first came to Micky (Micky, where are you? Come back! ;-), not me, and since almost everyone liked it (I was skeptical at first, and still now I also love polls without a theme), we have adopted it.

In my opinion, the subject of Asian music, being vast and recognizable, can interest everyone. Those who are fans of some Asian artist will post a song of him, those who don't listen to Asian music can easily find a song by a Western group that has Asian influences. If you want, you can extend the choice to little-known groups present in PA.

For the date, I'd say in the weekend.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 14:41

@jamesbaldwin

Ok thanks, I'll be ready for the weekend, let's say Saturday if that is not too early. I don't know whether there is a voting deadline in the current poll? Can I post a few photos to make the new thread a bit more lively? No copyright infringement.

Edited by Mila-13 - August 25 2021 at 14:42
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 09:25

@jamesbaldwin

Ok thanks, I'll be ready for the weekend, let's say Saturday if that is not too early. I don't know whether there is a voting deadline in the current poll? Can I post a few photos to make the new thread a bit more lively? No copyright infringement.

You can put as many images as you want.

Remember, when you open the poll, to write something on each of the 25 lines, which will be used to put the nominations and to put a flag on "Allow multiple votes".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 09:38
Lorenzo, when am I scheduled to conduct a poll?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 18:28
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Lorenzo, when am I scheduled to conduct a poll?

The next is Mila, then Meltdowner and then it'll be your turn.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 19:25
^ OK, the reason I ask is I am away on a songwriting workshop between 16 and 27 September. But coming to think about it, I believe I would be on around 28 September or something like that, so I guess it should work out.

Edited by The Anders - August 27 2021 at 19:44
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 12:31

@jamesbaldwin

Remember, when you open the poll, to write something on each of the 25 lines, which will be used to put the nominations and to put a flag on "Allow multiple votes".

Lorenzo, the new article/poll is on! I forgot to inform you. I hope everything is the way it should be? Yay, I'm so excited! Smile

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 13:35

@jamesbaldwin

Lorenzo, the new article/poll is on! I forgot to inform you. I hope everything is the way it should be? Yay, I'm so excited! Smile

Everything is ok, we need time, it's saturday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 52>