Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 300301302303304 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 17:10
Finished Miles Davis biography now halfway through Don Quixote (for the second time).
Miles biography is worth the read - especially if one Is able to look through one's fingers when the man turns ūber-contradictory....which he does quite a lot.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 17:22
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I haven't read the book yet,  but - as a lifelong reader - I can tell that a lot of painstaking research went into it, as well as genuine interest for the subject. Kudos, TerriBeer! I am in awe of people who are able to produce something as accomplished as a full-fledged book. Though I have written a lot of essays (some of which have been published), I have never thought of writing a book.

thanks. I didn't find it a chore, surprisingly - I enjoy writing and the subject never got dull.

Why not put all your essays together and publish the compilation?  That way you have already written a book Wink
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 17:38
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I haven't read the book yet,  but - as a lifelong reader - I can tell that a lot of painstaking research went into it, as well as genuine interest for the subject. Kudos, TerriBeer! I am in awe of people who are able to produce something as accomplished as a full-fledged book. Though I have written a lot of essays (some of which have been published), I have never thought of writing a book.

thanks. I didn't find it a chore, surprisingly - I enjoy writing and the subject never got dull.

Why not put all your essays together and publish the compilation?  That way you have already written a book Wink

They are on different topics, and also in different languages. Additionally, I don't think anyone would be particularly interested in reading them.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 18:07

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

They are on different topics, and also in different languages. Additionally, I don't think anyone would be particularly interested in reading them.

Different topics doesn't matter - many essay collections are on variable subjects (see George Orwell, who wrote about everything from politics to how to make a good cup of tea).  Can you translate them into English?

I would read them.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 18:12
Thank you, I really appreciate it. We'll see... I am no George Orwell, unfortunately. At the moment, I don't even remember how many essays I have written. The past few years haven't been exactly kind to my self-esteem.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 18:24
sorry. here's a hug, if that helps: Hug

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 18:54
^Heart oh she's got talent Terri...

I'll definitely let you know what I think on the book. Just finished up locating and marking all the Luftwaffe airfields in Moldavia in 1941 so now I can relax. That was my goal for the day haha

About to head back to the couch and back to your book, armed with a huge slice of Raspberry Tart drowned in milk and with Billie Holiday in the CD player.

Umm umm.. life is good.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 21:14
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 03:59
I always have at least 8 books in play, but the one getting my most attention at this point in time:
Micah White.  THE END OF PROTEST * A New Playbook for Revolution.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 08:42
Just finished the latest Tom Wolfe novel, Back to Blood......and I suddenly want to move to Miami to seek out Magdalena and catch her on the rebound.    
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 10:49
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 10:25
Browsing through Spider Kiss by Harlan Ellison. I've heard the man is notorious for being irked about being pigeonholed as a "sci-fi" writer. Given the good quality of what I've read so far in the book, he has no need to worry.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 16:28
I finished "Salem's Lot" a few days ago... it didn't take long Big smile It was quite scary even translated, the only bad things I noticed about it were a few literal translations of English expressions to Portuguese that didn't make sense. I did return to the store where I bought it and they now had it in English and from what I read it seemed very different, especially the dialogs that give more personality to the characters. I might read it again "properly" someday.

I also found and bought Arthur C. Clarke's "2001: A Space Odyssey" and George Orwell's "1984" in English and I started reading the former. I really enjoyed the movie a few years ago but the book answers a lot of questions I had. On the other hand, the movie gives visual aid to the book. I think it's interesting his prediction of reading news instantly with a tablet and this quotation is truer than ever nowadays: "The more wonderful the means of communication, the more trivial, tawdry or depressing its contents seemed to be"
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 01:31
I've just finnished reading W. G. Sebald's Rings of Saturn. At the moment, it seems like one of the best lectures I've read this year. I absolutely loved everything about it. The whole mindset and all. 10/10
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 00:07
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

I've just started reading One Train Later, Andy Summers autobiography.

Cool!  Thanks for posting, I have to look into this one

Hope you enjoy it! Apart from The Police, Summers also talks about meeting Gong, Soft Machine, Jimmy Hendrix etc.

I've been listening to many of Andy Summers solo albums recently (Charming Snakes, Golden Wire, World Gone Strange etc). Really good instrumental music, a mix of rock and jazz. I love the textures and atmospheres he can create with his guitars and effects.

Sting also wrote an interesting memoir called Broken Music.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 17:16
Currently reading Bruce Wagner's FORCE MAJEURE.  Hip, literate cynical satire on Hollywood.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 17:25
Indeed. 
This was a fascinating book about the Jones era of the Stones.  Certainly a more sympathetic portrait that the Richards book which pretty much erases Brian from their legacy altogether.  I can see that Brian was a pain in the rump in many ways but he did bring something interesting to the 60s Stones and was treated quite poorly. 

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 18:18
I've been exploring some more PKD after a little break.  I recently started and am about to finish Dr. Bloodmoney, which is basically a Fallout novel, dealing with civilization after nuclear bombs go off all across the globe.  And then I ordered two more, Martian Time Slip and Time Out Of Joint.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 18:38
Starting HERZOG by Saul Bellow.
also enjoying the MAD MAGAZINE collection on artist Will Elder.
may start a reread of SLAN by A. E. Van Vogt.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 02:00
just started reading "Villette" by Charlotte Brontė. the Brontė sisters are among my favorite authors; each of them wrote a classic of world literature: Charlotte "Jane Eyre", Emily "Wuthering Heights" and Anne "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall"

Edited by BaldJean - June 12 2016 at 04:23

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 300301302303304 320>