Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 325326327328329 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 09:36
I don't think any wackjob who would set off a bomb at the Boston Marathon would be influenced by anything but hate. These guys read books & watch movies and think  profoundly to themselves :  I think I'll do something like that because I have a cultivated mind?

Edited by Vibrationbaby - April 16 2013 at 09:38
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 09:56
I've heard of one (can't remember who it was) who commited a massacre and stated afterwards that God had told him that he needed new angels.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 10:16
But that was God. Not a TV show. Perfectly understandable.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 22:05
Frankly this thing feels domestic-- no one has claimed responsibility yet.   Also there is an odd economic aspect; the Stock Market took a huge plunge before as well as after the attack, gold dropped by its biggest margin in a long time, and Monday was tax day.   Violent events seem a sure way to cause certain effects on the economy which could be profited from.

This concludes my paranoid conspiracy theory of the day.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 22:46
I agree I think it is a domestic job.  
I work at a community health center only a mile or so from the bombings, but the day was a holiday in Boston so nobody was at our work.  But a few friends who work very close to the blast heard it and were eventually evacuated.
Today we just happened to have a scheduled all staff meeting and our CEO, who is an MD, said that the one thing we should take some solace in is how well prepared the city was for such an emergency.  The casualties were distributed evenly to area hospitals, and the operating room in every trauma unit in every local hospital was in use soon after.  This allowed more people to get more care faster.  Such an efficient handling of the crisis can only come about with extensive planning and simulation.  It makes us proud to live in this city.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 02:54
Deadly ricin poison sent in letter to US Republican Senator Roger Wicker:

BBC article

Edited by Blacksword - April 17 2013 at 02:54
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 07:09
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

OK here's a little prediction for you.

In about 7/8 days this thread's main subject will be the public order disturbances around St.Paul's Cathedral in London.

I also predict many of these masks will be seen:

Just a thought...

Happily, I was wrong - all appears to have gone off with respect from both sides.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:06
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Frankly this thing feels domestic-- no one has claimed responsibility yet.   Also there is an odd economic aspect; the Stock Market took a huge plunge before as well as after the attack, gold dropped by its biggest margin in a long time, and Monday was tax day.   Violent events seem a sure way to cause certain effects on the economy which could be profited from.

This concludes my paranoid conspiracy theory of the day.

It doesn't make sense as an attack. It had no real symbolic or shock value. You could have essentially placed a bomb any other area in metropolitan Boston for a higher body count. It's weird.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 11:14
I think this was definitely a domestic attack, but whether there was a political motivation behind it remains to be seen.  Although, some Republican Senator was sent some ricin poison, and I read that Obama received a suspicious letter.  It is also a possibility that for some reason or another that remains unknown this was directed against the Boston Marathon itself.  But this certainly doesn't sound like a case of international terrorism.  They usually like to blow themselves up along with everyone else and it also seems fairly small scale for the Taliban. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 13:40
Yeah it seems that they're even offended by the fact that they're on the list of probable suspects.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 13:46
Why would patriots detonate bombs at a public sports event? Surely, they would more likely attack government buildings, or specific politicians. The ricin letters may be consistent with this, but the bombings aren't

Attacks like this are more likely to elicit an outcome they would oppose; further erosion of civil liberties in the name of security. Surely.

All terrorism is senseless of course, but to me this attack - if domestic - doesn't actually seem to have any political direction.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marktheshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 16:59
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I think this was definitely a domestic attack, but whether there was a political motivation behind it remains to be seen.  Although, some Republican Senator was sent some ricin poison, and I read that Obama received a suspicious letter.  It is also a possibility that for some reason or another that remains unknown this was directed against the Boston Marathon itself.  But this certainly doesn't sound like a case of international terrorism.  They usually like to blow themselves up along with everyone else and it also seems fairly small scale for the Taliban. 

Come off it, Doc. You almost sound like those left wing whack jobs who are hoping the perp is white. Did you see the article at Salon.com more or less saying Obama's agenda would be more "safe" if he was white?

The use of pressure cookers is a common technique with Islamic terrorists to make bombs. But we'll see, I wonder if the perp turns out to be dark skinned, will Obama state that if he had a son, would he look like him?

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 17:06
You are all wrong: it's a common operation of Al-Qaida AND right-wing American terrorists, funded by the NK 5th column (and Maduro sent some powder to help them).
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marktheshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 17:48
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

You are all wrong: it's a common operation of Al-Qaida AND right-wing American terrorists, funded by the NK 5th column (and Maduro sent some powder to help them).

Yep, and here's one hoping for white. I've found zip on the net about the 5th column connection and you're dealing with an EOD veteran. How about link, huh? Seriously, would like some enlightening, thank you.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 18:19
It's so sad that some in the left almost beg that the perpetrator is white, and some in the opposition beg that is not.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 19:03
Originally posted by marktheshark marktheshark wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Come off it, Doc. You almost sound like those left wing whack jobs who are hoping the perp is white. Did you see the article at Salon.com more or less saying Obama's agenda would be more "safe" if he was white?

The use of pressure cookers is a common technique with Islamic terrorists to make bombs. But we'll see, I wonder if the perp turns out to be dark skinned, will Obama state that if he had a son, would he look like him?

I AM one of those left-wing whack jobs.  However, I don't care if the perp was white, black, latino, arab or a little grey man from the planet beta reticulum as long as he is caught (ok, I am assuming it's a man here).  I'm just saying I think it's more likely a domestic rather than an international case of terrorism. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 19:07
I assume he's a man (women have still not done the whole feminism-equality thing well when it comes to terrorism). I also think it's domestic, and probably a very pathetic person who wasn't trying to make a statement or anything. Just a big-time loser.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 22:27

I hope he's white on one side and black on the other.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 22:38
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I hope he's white on one side and black on the other.

Yikes! You don't think it could be Frank Gorshin, do you?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 22:47
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I assume he's a man (women have still not done the whole feminism-equality thing well when it comes to terrorism). 

My ex-wife would make a great terrorist.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 325326327328329 446>