Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 02:53
Upright Seasons 1 and 2

Australian comedy drama filmed 4 years apart. The first season is mainly a road trip where Tim Minchin's character is transporting a piano (hence the title) across Australia for family reasons. He literally bumps in to a very young teenage girl (played by Milly Allcock, a future star to be if ever there was one) on the road who has stolen her Dad's car. They end up travelling together.
4 years later and things have moved on considerably.

I found it all very warm, full of humour and ultimately charming. 8/10

Edited by richardh - January 04 2023 at 05:11
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 07:35
The Patient 2022 10 episodes

Steve Carrell plays a 'shrink' who finds himself in a very challenging situation with a particular client. Mostly its a small ensemble piece that serves to highlight what a great actor Carrell is. This probably wont be getting great reviews which is a shame as it's different from the usual crime based stuff that's being pushed out nowadays. Give it a try. 8/10
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 07:52
^ On my to-watch thanks. Smile

Just started Wednesday - great fun and really well done.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 03:56
The Tulsa King 2022

A nice vehicle for Sly Stallone to exude his natural on screen charm but also carrying off the necessary authority as a re-located gangster from NY city.  Enjoyable easy to watch crime drama.  7/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 05:21
Parks and Recreation
All seasons
9.5/10
About as perfect a comedy as I've ever seen.

Edited by JD - January 20 2023 at 05:21
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 02:44
The Walking Dead 11 Seasons

Finally got to the end. The series finale was brilliant and great credit to all the actors. I don't think anything has held my interest for so long and that has mainly been to the quality of writing as well as great actors such as Sam Morton, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and David Morrisey coming in and helping to maintain that momentum. Morgan in particular has been a stellar presence in the last 3/4 seasons, his character going on something of a road to Damascus type journey. 10/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 08:20
I've just finished The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power and I think it's absolutely brilliant. Set 1000 years before the events of LOTR, this is a show with everything going for it for me. It's far better than the recent House of the Dragon. I've no idea why the review scores are so low, maybe there is some sort of vendetta against it for some reason - but it's often stated that the show has problems with pace and characterisations. Me, I don't see it at all. I'd say it's on par with the LOTR movies, if not better in parts. All the actors are excellent and the script keeps things moving along without becoming dull (something House of the Dragon suffered from). You can also see how much was spent on this - the scale and beauty of the sets and landscapes are breath-taking; and the action sequences are phenomenal. House of the Dragon felt dark and claustrophobic, whereas this is open and bright - a feast for the eyes. Nope, I can't fault this at all and I really can't see how anyone else could either. It's memorable too, and it'll stay in my mind for months to come (so many movies and TV shows are forgotten in a heartbeat, not this show). Accents are fun as well: Elves are posh, men are common, Dwarfs are Scottish, the harfoots (hobbits) are Irish and Orcs are cockney. 9.5/10 and 4 more seasons in the pipeline, I can't wait.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 09:05
^Agree 100%. ClapThumbs Up
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 04:23
I agree as well although I actually also enjoyed Willow so I may not be the best person to ask. Generally HBO sh*ts out TV gold and we all have to accept that Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 11:04
The Lazarus Project

I thought it was a US show, but it's actually British on Sky. It's a time jump story but it's a novel idea. It's not only a great thriller but demonstrates how awful things can be with time travel in ways I've not seen before. Without giving too much away, with the time travel model they use in the story, a poor woman has to go through the same child birth over and over again as time keeps getting reset - and it's quite harrowing to see. I'm really impressed with this; it's just brilliant, and one of the best time travel stories I've seen. More to come too. 9.5/10
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 11:23
Mr. Robot
9.5/10

The Sopranos
9.8/10

Edited by Argentinfonico - January 26 2023 at 11:24
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2023 at 02:10
Seem to be watching a lot of so called Adult Swim at the moment.

If you don't mind extreme crudity then Paradise PD is incredibly funny (9/10). Rick and Morty goes over my head but is never boring (8/10) and Chicago Party Aunt is fairly okay but not great (6/10)

Although not Adult Swim, I'm also enjoying The Legend of Vox Machina. Excellent fantasy anime, great characters and just dark enough. (8/10)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 03:13
Let The Right One In 10 episodes

I've gradually warmed to this vampire drama after the initial few episodes that were quite hard to watch at times (very brutal). I think the slow burn approach of developing the characters paid off and helped ramp up the tension to a good level by the end. Seems a second season is in the offing hopefully. 8/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 08:04
We completed Series 2 of Alice in Borderland last night and brilliant it was too. It came to a conclusion but with a possibility of more to come. However the manga comic it's based on did not carry on past this point so we'll have to wait and see. I love these Squid Game/Battle Royale style shows. For me, they can carry on - it's superb 9.5/10
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 11:23
Guessing this will only mean something to Brits, but just finished watching the 3rd and final series of Hapoy Valley. Just fantastic gritty Northern cop drama.

If you can get this in the States then you really should watch it, British/BBC tv drama at it’s very very best😎
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2023 at 14:48
^ Agreed although an unfortunate typo that makes it sound like its set in Japan lol. I'll offer a short review.

Happy Valley, extremely well written drama starring Sarah Lancashire and James Norton. Norton plays a very nasty piece of work who is jailed for murdering the daughter of a serving police officer (played by Lancashire) some years earlier. He is unware though that she had recently given birth to his son (called Ryan) who is then brought up while he sits in jail. Ryan is played by a child actor Rhys Connah. Impressively writer Sally Wainwright and the BBC waited 7 years to make the final season so they could still cast Connah in the role. At this point he is 15 years old and curious about his real father and starts to communicate with Norton character unbeknown to his Grandmother. The drama is ramped up and leads to a final tour de force scene with acting awards beckoning. Overall 9/10 

Edited by richardh - February 12 2023 at 14:58
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2023 at 05:36
I'm looking forward to watching Ultimate Force again  (having just bought the entire series on DVD), especially the scene where the lone woman SAS trooper shares a communal shower with the men at Hereford SAS HQ, much to the bemusement of visiting Home Secretary David Blunkett and his guide dog, Lucy. Embarrassed
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2023 at 08:37
Mayflies 2023

Only 2 episodes but it would be shame if this fell between the cracks. Stars Scottish actors Martin Compston (Line Of Duty), Tony Curran (Your Honor) and Ashley Jensen (Extras) and based on a book by Andrew O' Hagen. It's about a lifelong friendship and how far does that go when it comes to the crunch. The multitude flashbacks look a bit like a TV version of Trainspotting and the whole young and Scottish and being in a punk band seemed cliched. Nevertheless it's thought provoking and very touching at times. The drama is beautifully underplayed, probably my favourite performance being that of Ashley Jensen as the girlfriend who loves her partner dearly (played by Curran) but is equally frustrated that his friendship with Compston's character seems to be getting in the way. 9/10
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 08:59
The Third Day (UK/US - 2020): 1 season - 6 episodes

Far out excellence. A real British treat. The barely 10K ratings it has received on IMDb is nothing but invidiousness.

8.5/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 09:13
Nearly finished The Midnight Club - made by Mike Flangan (He of the The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Blythe Manor, Midnight Mass - all excellent). Set in 1994 this series is based on a Christopher Pike novel about a group of terminally ill teenagers at a hospice who tell each other ghost/horror stories as well as investigating mysterious goings on from the past. It's quite slow going, but the acting and script are top notch. I'll reserve final judgement on the story itself when it's done. So far though - 8/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>