Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 20:04

I'm not such a techno-triumphalist that I believe that the free and open internet will solve all our socio-economic problems. But I am enough of a techno-pessimist to believe that baking surveillance, control and censorship into the very fabric of our networks, devices and laws is the absolute road to dictatorial hell.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/apr/16/digital-economy-act-cory-doctorow

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 22:16
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/20/evening-buzz-radical-islamic-website-warns-south-park-creators/

Once again, the beauty of this particular religion is evident...
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 22:16
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/20/evening-buzz-radical-islamic-website-warns-south-park-creators/

Once again, the beauty, the solidarity and humanity off this particular religion is made evident...
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 22:39
Interesting article over in Slate:

Who knew it was so complicated Confused
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 16:02
http://www.speroforum.com/a/31337/Bolivias-president-links-homosexuality-to-eating-chicken
Quote Speaking at the inauguration of conference on climate change held near the Andean city of Cochabama, Bolivia’s leftist President Evo Morales appeared to link homosexuality, baldness among Europeans, and genetically modified foods

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 20:40
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

The problem is that we only think of something as "out of tune" because of our exposure to Western music. It's not really innate. Lots of Eastern music is fiercely dissonant from a Western perspective.
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

http://www.speroforum.com/a/31337/Bolivias-president-links-homosexuality-to-eating-chicken
Quote Speaking at the inauguration of conference on climate change held near the Andean city of Cochabama, Bolivia’s leftist President Evo Morales appeared to link homosexuality, baldness among Europeans, and genetically modified foods

Sounds logical to me!

Edited by Henry Plainview - April 21 2010 at 21:26
if you own a sodastream i hate you
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 22:07
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

The problem is that we only think of something as "out of tune" because of our exposure to Western music. It's not really innate. Lots of Eastern music is fiercely dissonant from a Western perspective.

Except in this case the argument is solely about Western music, and what 'well-tempered' has represented over the centuries.  I knew the tritone had been previously regarded as evil, but didn't realize that had happened to the third as well. 

Regardless, no big deal, but I thought it was an interesting read.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 23:06
I thought it was interesting too, I'm just saying that there's no such thing as the "right" tuning. ;-)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 23:18
I read it and lost interest in the article before I finished it.  Got my start messing around on poorly tuned beat up guitar.  Dabbled in lessons here and there, this method and that.  For me it's get the tuning reasonably close and then just have fun playing.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 23:24
I knew most of that already, but it was still a cool article. Personally, I think microtuning will be the wave of the future. I am getting pretty sick of the same twelve notes over and over again. I wish a quarter tone rock band would form. Maybe I'll have to start my own.... except that I don't know how to play any instruments that can do quarter tones.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 13:45
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 13:53

"Drill, baby, drill"

I've been following that in the news and thinking the same thing.  Idiots that say things like "drill baby drill" can't really be bothered to think of the consequences of what they are advocating either environmentally or otherwise.  Let's just toss out all regulation so businesses can act without responsibility and the those at the bottom, economically, can be whacked with all the consequences. 

Guess life on an oil rig beats being a miner in a non union mine...

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 22 2010 at 13:55
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halabalushindigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 14:09
y'all know that "American Idol" is donating proceeds to "Save The Children" and to help fight Malaria in Africa?

Right

assume the power 1586/14.3
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 23:36
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I knew most of that already, but it was still a cool article. Personally, I think microtuning will be the wave of the future. I am getting pretty sick of the same twelve notes over and over again. I wish a quarter tone rock band would form. Maybe I'll have to start my own.... except that I don't know how to play any instruments that can do quarter tones.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 23:41
I will check them out, Thanks!
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 15:37
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/hugo_wouldn_have_done_that_family_FKNTR0IUj3tsYhB5uSzfEL
See a guy lying in a pool of blood, take a picture and walk away.
People suck.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 17:51

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/hugo_wouldn_have_done_that_family_FKNTR0IUj3tsYhB5uSzfEL
See a guy lying in a pool of blood, take a picture and walk away.
People suck.

They are the worst. 

A dog would go and lick the wound of a dying dog. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 15:58

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 22:26
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

"Drill, baby, drill"

I've been following that in the news and thinking the same thing.  Idiots that say things like "drill baby drill" can't really be bothered to think of the consequences of what they are advocating either environmentally or otherwise.  Let's just toss out all regulation so businesses can act without responsibility and the those at the bottom, economically, can be whacked with all the consequences. 

Nobody's tossing out regulations, don't be so melodramatic. The UK doesn't require the acoustic shut off switches either, and it's not even clear that they would work because they've never been used before in a catastrophic failure like this one.

Edited by Henry Plainview - April 29 2010 at 22:34
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 22:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

"Drill, baby, drill"

Like it or not, we need a lot of energy to run our country and things like solar and wind are still a long way off from being good enough to supply our needs. Our options are therefore:

1) Drill, baby, drill
2) Continue to pump tons of money into countries that are actively trying to destroy us
3) Go to war with those countries and just take their oil
4) Build nuclear power plants

I doubt you are too thrilled about any of those (I vote for option four) but that's the reality of the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 446>