Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 65>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 09:06
Very funny (I'm shocked) interview with Geddy Lee......

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 09:53
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I hope so!

I did all those Rush reviews too and surprisingly actually gave Snakes and Arrows the highest rating - it is far superior though i have yet to complete Vapor Trails.....

I am a big fan of S&A. I believe you will find the new one a cross between CP, VT, and S&A with some more experimentation by the band. The title track is definitely Progressive.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 10:17
@ Catcher10 -  Thanks for posting the interview with Geddy.  Good stuff.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 10:27
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

Yes I agree but couldnt believe Lee doesnt sing in the shower! 

interesting as he hates Tai Shan - I guess it was not a shining moment on HYF but i can think of worse 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 10:30
I always hated Tai Shan too. Glad I'm in good company.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 09:32
I think I would have to agree about Tai Shan.  Can't say I hate it completely but certainly ranks as one of their weaker songs.

Anyone receive their fan pack yet?
SoUnDsGrEaT View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 13:46
Sorry to kinda butt my head into this ongoing conversation, but I LOVE RUSH.  Everything about them: Neil Peart's driving percussion that defines their sound, the social commentary in each lyrical stanza, the shredding guitar solos that inspire both emotion and amazement, etc. etc. etc.  It kills me that so many people, especially my peers, dismiss them as mediocre and only having a couple of redeeming tracks.  They are incredible, the end, nuff said, and I'm glad you all are aware of this.  Long live the 7/4! :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:24

Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

Yes I agree but couldnt believe Lee doesnt sing in the shower! 

interesting as he hates Tai Shan - I guess it was not a shining moment on HYF but i can think of worse 

I don't think I hate it........Its a song on an album, that I don't skip over. But I don't need to listen to it.......For Geddy to say he hated it enough that we will never hear it live......I guess he hates it.

And it seems its that "other guy's" fault on the song.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:37
Neil on CBC's The Hour, with host, George Stroumboulopoulos. Interesting insight on how the tracks were developed and the ideas behind them. Thumbs Up
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 16:08
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Neil on CBC's The Hour, with host, George Stroumboulopoulos. Interesting insight on how the tracks were developed and the ideas behind them. Thumbs Up
[

I liked it when Rush rarely gave interviews and were all quiet and mysterious about the inner workings of thier musical lives. To paraphrase a song from Victor... Neil, shutup and play the drums. I do appreciate that people like hearing thier favorite artists thoughts on thier art though. I'm sure the insights are interesting.

Welcome to the fray SouNdSGrEaT.  I always like to see more Rush fans here :)

Edited by Flyingsod - June 07 2012 at 16:08

This space intentionally left blank

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 16:22
GREAT interviews on this page, guys... I was transfixed. 
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 19:40
I just wanted to say that i love Rush. The accessible, yet very strong songwriting with the intriguing, showmanship of all the members has always captivated me and has kept me a loyal fan. I love all their eras of diverse music and i hope they continue releasing music that they want to make, whether it is poka or prog rock. They are a keystone band to music and my musical interests today, so i'm forever grateful to them and their creative output. I'm now pursuing a music-related career and participating in many musical projects professionally and causally. 

Felt like saying that after listen to Permanent Waves for my (recorded) 50th time. 

Edited by Horizons - June 07 2012 at 19:42
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 22:11
^ Horizons, man, beautifully said - exactly my thoughts as well. I just finished listening to Permanent Waves as well, for about the 40th time, I think? The album never ceases to astonish and amaze me. The musicianship is just so well crafted and the songwriting is pristine. Every track is of impeccable quality and consistency. Alex's tone and technique is my favourtie on that album, Ged's voice is perfect and the professor behind the drum kit just rips, he just rips... My 3 favourite musicians to ever grace this planet, hands down.
Rush doing polka would be interesting. LOL Tongue
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 23:01
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

^ Horizons, man, beautifully said - exactly my thoughts as well. I just finished listening to Permanent Waves as well, for about the 40th time, I think? The album never ceases to astonish and amaze me. The musicianship is just so well crafted and the songwriting is pristine. Every track is of impeccable quality and consistency. Alex's tone and technique is my favourtie on that album, Ged's voice is perfect and the professor behind the drum kit just rips, he just rips... My 3 favourite musicians to ever grace this planet, hands down.
Rush doing polka would be interesting. LOL Tongue

Did you see the intro video to the Time Machine Tour? You may have seen some polka Rush-style LOL
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 06:32
^^^ Ah yes was that when Rush became Rash? - LOL very good clip that one.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 14:01

^^^ Ah yes was that when Rush became Rash? - LOL very good clip that one.

Yea...my 13 yr old still is pissed he did not get a Rash shirt at last years show......He likes that type of humor.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 14:24
Very cool interview with Neil Peart. I appreciate his comment about album song structure and how they paid attention in the past, and still do, with regard to vinyl. As a vinyl enthusiast I can't help but think at how much better younger people and reviewers might see an album as a Side 1 and then Side 2 Two start songs and two end songs, rather than 1st song and last song on a CD.
It makes total sense and I see how the older artists might loose something in translation once the CD is released.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 15:45
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

All the grasping at nostalgia this forum has is rediculous.

Sorry, but it ain't 1978. Whether it's for good or bad.

@Horizons:

I assume you are responding to Zumacraig's post?

"i disagree.  from the first songs to headlong, this album sounds just like everything else since...test for echo?  at least in the 80s and early 90s one could hear separation of instruments, even though they all sounded like they were playing tiny little instruments, especially neil.  

now, if the songs are there, then this might be okay, but 10/10?  no way.  10/10 is hemispheres.  why is hemispheres that good, because it was made by urgent young dudes on the cusp of progressive rock in an era (seemingly oblivious to them) where music was recorded to be listened to an enjoyed rather than some sort of endurance contest.  major key melodies, fat guitar, fat bass, and fat drums.  those recordings are like your sitting on the floor looking up at neil.  so...the production blows on this!  the 90s sheen, the compression, and the loudness.  i'm interested in hearing this, but when will musicians WAKE UP and give a sh*t about how their music sounds and is produced.  and for god's sake, could you please write a song in a major key again....alex, geddy?

sorry to rant.  i just think the buzz on this is getting ridiculous.  the buzz when hemispheres was about to be released was..."pick it up at Tape City next week."  ah, the good old days when music was an art form and treated as such...not a product to be marketed and hyped.  (of course this did go in then too, but not for the good stuff...that stuff stood on its own)."

My dear Horizons, if this forum is for simple insults and recriminations, please ignore all this.  For the sake of
a semi-intelligent dialog however, I take issue with your needless insult to Zumacraig.  (Don't worry, my panties are not all in a bunch - I am not angry), just confounded by your lack of logic & the sophomoric nature of your reply.

You write: "
All the grasping at nostalgia this forum has is rediculous."   Well actually Zumacraig said quite a bit in his post and he made his case providing justification and much factual information.  It is not about being 1978 at all.
Fact is, RUSH made their greatest music in the mid to late 70's.

For a RUSH fan like Zuma or myself or anybody else to want a return to form for RUSH a la Hemisphers or 2112 or Moving Pictures is quite natural and is what a die hard fan does.  It is not "grasping at nostalgia".  It is wanting some really good music.

Your grasping at nostalgia remark you allude to 1978, puts into play something that could be reflected back to you.  I believe you are a generation or so younger than Zuma & I, so one could say that you have a need to identify with your generation which would coincide with the lesser music RUSH has put out in later years, yet which you would identify with as it is your generation.  It would be pointless for me to criticize you for having a fondness for your generation's RUSH, just like it is pointless for your to take a stab at Zumacraig about 1970's RUSH.

Getting back to facts, since this is a RUSH mini-forum and should be more than "you old guys wanting to go back to 1978 are so pathetic..." and such silly things....

Fact:

Hemispheres may have been RUSH at their creative peak, all that Zuma said is true, especially about the production of the music, the layering of tracks, the clarity in the mix of all the instruments.  It was a rock/orchestral
masterpiece.  If you don't like longer pieces, then try on Moving Pictures.  It has the same high production values
and sonic clarity in the music in addition to the brilliant artistry of the compositions & performance.

The recent 3 or 4 RUSH records don't compare even to Fly By Night.  Modern  RUSH is recorded & mixed like RUSH trying to be Soundgarden of some other crap.  The music is harsh, tinny (exactly like Zuma said) and horribly over compressed.  I have recorded music for decades and have taken music production classes in college, so I know a bit about music production, sound quality or lack thereof.

Zuma is 100% when he writes about modern musicians not caring about sound quality or production values.  Modern music just goes for what could be perceived as trendy or the next "grunge" thing or whatever.  Who is right? Who the hell knows???  I will not judge if one is better off with a Nirvana CD or with a masterfully mixed, recorded & mastered record like Hemispheres, but facts are facts.  Everything Zuma said about the quality and today's artists not being concerned about the quality of music is accurate. 

But wait!  There's more!!!    About the qualities of RUSH music a la Hemispheres(that Zumacraig mentioned...)
I played guitar in a RUSH cover band and could play note for note, La Villa & The Trees and YYZ, Red Barchetta,
etc....   I can tell you that the more redundant pop stuff that Geddy has been writing on modern RUSH is more like Green Day than Hemispheres or Moving Pictures.  So Zuma is spot on there, and yes Zuma has a fine ear to notice that Geddy Lee has chosen to write music with many minor and dissonant intervals. Hemispheres, Permant Waves, Moving Pictures & Signals were written with major key intervals, fact is all the great RUSH stuff was written in that mode, so it would be natural for a fan to want a return to form.  Nothing inherently bad about writing in dissonant intervals, except it sounds like RUSH trying to copy alt rock bands and not innovate, and of course the obvious fact that Geddy has had little success with those alt rock or grunge intervals.  Nobody here could make a case that Counterparts or Vapor Trails are superior to anything prior to Power Windows.

And one more thing:

Get a 5.1 system and play the RUSH 5.1 mixes of Fly By Night & Farewell to Kings & Signals.  Then play oh say,
RUSH - Counterparts on the same exact system:  You will clearly observe all the things Zuma wrote about....
Overly tinny sound, no clarity of the instruments, compression that kills stereo imagery. Bad sounding digital
guitar effects, etc....

And yeah reading the replies after Zuma's comments I'm surprised he wasn't lynched for being a heretic for not blindly going with the hype for RUSH's new record.  Good for him for not being a sheep.

Let me be clear.  I LOVE RUSH and I have bought ALL their records, but no f$*#king way is the new CD a 10 of 10.
(I have heard the whole thing).  Zuma was right about all the hype. I am sick of the hype as well.  Give me a good record and I will buy it and I will listen to it.  What on God's Green Earth is wrong with that???

My point of all this mess is:

Zumacraig presented factual & detailed points in his argument/post.  If you guys have a problem with that
or with my points of contention, why can't you reply in kind, with facts and detailed observations of your own.

If not, I am also pretty good at the whole "Your mother wears Army boots thing" as well, if that is how we roll around here.

God Bless,

DM

Edited by dennismoore - June 09 2012 at 22:15
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 16:03
If you think i'm going to read a novel about a joke post i made weeks ago, you're crazy.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 16:06
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

If you think i'm going to read a novel about a joke post i made weeks ago, you're crazy.

You should take one of those "nostalgic" speed reading classes......

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 65>