Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 359360361362363 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 14:43
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

The Byrds – Notorious Byrd Brothers

Hawkwind – Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
So that's where your name comes from Smile Don't know them, only The Yardbirds Tongue

How's that Hawkwind album?

The Byrds were a 60's pop band, Sam. They started off as a kind of folky psychedelic group, then became quite experimental (though still poppy), then turned into a country band, then an odd combination of psych/acid/country and rock! Their trio of albums `Fifth Dimension', `Younger than Yesterday' and especially `Notorious Byrd Brothers' are superb, very adventurous pop music with sublime harmonies and pretty experimental, daring production. They're a very special band to me, even if their later albums are a mixed bag. Lots of throaway stuff with a couple of gems on each of their later discs.

That Hawkwind one is stange! It's full of ideas, has plenty of great tracks, but at the same time, plenty of it seems kind of....`straight' for a Hawkwind album! There's not much of that drug fuelled, dirty heavy sound on that one!

I did enjoy TD's `Cyclone' (as I always do!), but at the same time I don't find it hugely exciting. It's an easy listen, has some nice oddball and loopy moments, but it's never too thrilling to me either.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 05 2015 at 14:44
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 15:16
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Lunatic Soul--Walking on a flashlight beam. (this album is a great way to appreciate a peaceful exsistence. )

NIck, I've only just ripped this for the car, while start giving it a proper listen as of tomorrow night. I've got some kind of set that has a hard, book-like case which I think has both a bluray or dvd-audio version along with the CD.

Tonight's choices:

John Mitchell – Lonely Robot
Anthony Kalugin’s Kinematic Orkestra – AKKO 1
Andreas Vollenweider – Down to the Moon
Stratosphere – Aftermath
Erik Wollo – Blue Radiance
Steve Roach – Skeleton Keys
Tangerine Dream – Cyclone

Hey man. The Lunatic soul album is fabulous. Explores all that dark ambient sound moods very well. It's a thinking man's music...a dreamer if you will. My favourite is the S/T track. Incredible work and the albums audio quality is just about first rate. :)
Also, how are your feelings on that Lonely Robot album? The opening track is great, but for the most part the album did not wow me. Tracks 6,7,8 are a tad mediocre which bog down the album.
Love John Mitchell though.

I reviewed it just last night, Nick. I was a little bummed to find not a single review on the Archives for it, and I thought Mitchell deserved a little better than that!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1423673

I gave it three stars. I don't think it's as good as the last two It Bites albums, and I think it's waaaaaaaay too long at 58 minutes. It's a double vinyl, should have been a single! A nice 45 minutes would have been ideal. Apart from that, when it's good, it's great, but there's also some stretches where, without actually being bad, are not too exciting. Definitely not an essential purchase.

Listening to that Lunatic Soul album last night, and I definitely think Duda was keeping some of the best material off the most recent Riverside all for his solo album! I mean, `Shrine to the New Generation Slaves' IS a good album, but it's also a little tired and not quite up to the standard of the previous Riverside albums. It seenms like Duda poured his heart and soul into `Flashlight', and didn't spend as much time making `Shrine' a bit more special!

Oh, and funny you mention Wilson, because for sure Duda has always acknowledged Wilson/PTree as a big influence. But I'm just going to come out and say it, hopefully start some s*it if I can - I think `Flashlight' destroys the lastest Wilson solo album. I feel `Hand. Cannot. Erase' has a lot of instantly appealing surface enjoyment, but I'm never keen to race back to it, and I think `Flashlight' is much more intense, complex and varied, and it holds together better as well.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 05 2015 at 15:20
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 16:33

The Byrds were a 60's pop band, Sam. They started off as a kind of folky psychedelic group, then became quite experimental (though still poppy), then turned into a country band, then an odd combination of psych/acid/country and rock! Their trio of albums `Fifth Dimension', `Younger than Yesterday' and especially `Notorious Byrd Brothers' are superb, very adventurous pop music with sublime harmonies and pretty experimental, daring production. They're a very special band to me, even if their later albums are a mixed bag. Lots of throaway stuff with a couple of gems on each of their later discs.

That Hawkwind one is stange! It's full of ideas, has plenty of great tracks, but at the same time, plenty of it seems kind of....`straight' for a Hawkwind album! There's not much of that drug fuelled, dirty heavy sound on that one!

I did enjoy TD's `Cyclone' (as I always do!), but at the same time I don't find it hugely exciting. It's an easy listen, has some nice oddball and loopy moments, but it's never too thrilling to me either.
That sounds nice, I'll give those a listen after I finish listening to Jefferson Airplane, the current 60's band I'm looking into Smile

I'll have that in mind, I have to give their classic albums a proper listen first Smile

Yes, it's far from being on the same level as the other albums from that era, but it's much better than a lot of their later albums Tongue

Today:
Farmers Market - Slav to the Rhythm (You're right Audun, it's so different. I really like their Fusion Folk sound. The only aspect that relates the two albums I listened are the vocals Tongue)
Chopin - Piano Concerto NΊ1
Sequentia Legenda - Blue Dream
Blakulla - s/t

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 17:17
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

That sounds nice, I'll give those a listen after I finish listening to Jefferson Airplane, the current 60's band I'm looking into Smile

I'll have that in mind, I have to give their classic albums a proper listen first Smile

Yes, it's far from being on the same level as the other albums from that era, but it's much better than a lot of their later albums Tongue

Today:
Farmers Market - Slav to the Rhythm (You're right Audun, it's so different. I really like their Fusion Folk sound. The only aspect that relates the two albums I listened are the vocals Tongue)
Chopin - Piano Concerto NΊ1
Sequentia Legenda - Blue Dream
Blakulla - s/t

Ooh, I love Jefferson Airplane! Their debut album is nice, so too is `Surrealistic Pillow, but the really great album is `After Bathing at Baxters', certainly their most ambitious and acid-fried! Takes a few listens to get your head around, but there's a ton of amazing stuff on that one!

Ha, I really like that Blakulla album! Great playing and vocals, and strong tunes as well.

Tonight's choices:

Tool – Aenima
Neal Morse – The Grand Experiment
Aisles – 4:45am
Coheed and Cambria – Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV
Hillmen – The Whisky Mountain Sessions (Djam Karet offshoot, a nice mellow jam-band)
Lunatic Soul – Flashlight
Tangerine Dream – The Deutschlandhalle Performance, Berlin, 1973
Tangerine Dream – Phaedra
Tangerine Dream – Rubicon
Kitaro – Ken Tai
Cosmic Ground – s/t
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 21:35
^ KITARO - Ten Kai   
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 04:06
........anyway..........
So far in the last day..........
SOFT MACHINE - Six (still not a favourite of mine - 25 years+ and counting......love most everything before and after......just something 'uninspired' about this release.........)
KAJAGOOGOO -White Feathers and Various 12" vinyls
SPLIT ENZ - True Colours
HAIRCUT ONE-HUNDRED - Paint And Paint (pretty impressive 2nd album from these New-Wavers.......)
HAPPY THE MAN - S/T debut
ANGE - Emile Jacotey
PETER HAMMILL - Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night
............and currently - AREA - Crac!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 04:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ KITARO - Ten Kai   

Bwahaha, my bad, the result of currently being sick as a dog AND on nightshift at the moment! Honestly, it's asking a lot for me to remember my own name at this point, let alone correct spelling on languages I do not speak!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 06:02
^ Mike, you know the fuss-pot pedantic f**ker I am......... Just knit-picking.......
Just thought that Ken Tai is someone I never heard of and this may be misleading for anyone interested, this is a very special album to me (Dan bought me this LP as a Japanese issue for my 21st birthday, or thereabouts - almost ^ 24 years ago....... so I always remember Ten, not Ken, and given that not many here would dig Kitaro............ Far East Family Band aside).
But you know me ..................
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 06:20

Ooh, I love Jefferson Airplane! Their debut album is nice, so too is `Surrealistic Pillow, but the really great album is `After Bathing at Baxters', certainly their most ambitious and acid-fried! Takes a few listens to get your head around, but there's a ton of amazing stuff on that one!

Ha, I really like that Blakulla album! Great playing and vocals, and strong tunes as well.
I listened to 'Surrealistic Pillow' and 'After Bathing at Baxters' and you're right the later is more progressive. Smile

It's a really good indeed, it was recommended by a fellow Portuguese vinyl enthusiast who got a copy of last year's vinyl reissue Thumbs Up

Today so far:
Arena - Contagion Max (It's good that it's a complete version, but it's so long, I was not very attentive on disc 2)
Sezione Frenante - Metafora di un Viaggio (It's getting better with each listen Smile)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 07:33
Meltdowner - Baxter's is just AMAZING for a 1967 album.........
This was a major obsession for me back in 1989, always on the agenda with whatever narcotic was on the menu...... .......I've left this all behind, but still simply adore the music !!! Glad you can too
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 08:40

Lunatic Soul--Walking on a flashlight beam. (this album is a great way to appreciate a peaceful exsistence. )

NIck, I've only just ripped this for the car, while start giving it a proper listen as of tomorrow night. I've got some kind of set that has a hard, book-like case which I think has both a bluray or dvd-audio version along with the CD.

Tonight's choices:

John Mitchell – Lonely Robot
Anthony Kalugin’s Kinematic Orkestra – AKKO 1
Andreas Vollenweider – Down to the Moon
Stratosphere – Aftermath
Erik Wollo – Blue Radiance
Steve Roach – Skeleton Keys
Tangerine Dream – Cyclone

Hey man. The Lunatic soul album is fabulous. Explores all that dark ambient sound moods very well. It's a thinking man's music...a dreamer if you will. My favourite is the S/T track. Incredible work and the albums audio quality is just about first rate. :)
Also, how are your feelings on that Lonely Robot album? The opening track is great, but for the most part the album did not wow me. Tracks 6,7,8 are a tad mediocre which bog down the album.
Love John Mitchell though.

I reviewed it just last night, Nick. I was a little bummed to find not a single review on the Archives for it, and I thought Mitchell deserved a little better than that!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1423673

I gave it three stars. I don't think it's as good as the last two It Bites albums, and I think it's waaaaaaaay too long at 58 minutes. It's a double vinyl, should have been a single! A nice 45 minutes would have been ideal. Apart from that, when it's good, it's great, but there's also some stretches where, without actually being bad, are not too exciting. Definitely not an essential purchase.

Listening to that Lunatic Soul album last night, and I definitely think Duda was keeping some of the best material off the most recent Riverside all for his solo album! I mean, `Shrine to the New Generation Slaves' IS a good album, but it's also a little tired and not quite up to the standard of the previous Riverside albums. It seenms like Duda poured his heart and soul into `Flashlight', and didn't spend as much time making `Shrine' a bit more special!

Oh, and funny you mention Wilson, because for sure Duda has always acknowledged Wilson/PTree as a big influence. But I'm just going to come out and say it, hopefully start some s*it if I can - I think `Flashlight' destroys the lastest Wilson solo album. I feel `Hand. Cannot. Erase' has a lot of instantly appealing surface enjoyment, but I'm never keen to race back to it, and I think `Flashlight' is much more intense, complex and varied, and it holds together better as well.

Wow. Hey Michael. What a great review. You always describe just about everything so perfectly. I feel your sentiments and opinions almost on an exact note. Thank you again for yet another great read.
As for the argument on Wilson's latest pitted against Duda's latest masterpiece and can't give an opinion just yet cause I have not listened to "The hand that cannot erase" just yet; however, if the album isn't better than "The raven" than Duda will smash it for me in a vote hands down. You'll most likely get no argument from me mr. sh*t starter. Lol. ;)

Kicking off the weekend...

IQ-- The Road Of Bones
Genesis--Arkive (disc 1 only)
Dream Theater-- WDADU
Fields Of The Nephilim-- Sumerland (EP)
Arena-- The Unquiet Sky ( listened to this one every day since I received it a week ago. ;)
Lunatic Soul-- Walking On A Flashlight Beam. ( love everything about this album. The strong low end soundwise it carries and the theme, which is based on a Batman comic book issue called the "killing joke."
2 mental patients are trying to escape from an Asylum and in order to do so they must get across a very large gap from one building to the other, so one of the escapee shines a flashlight across the gap and precedes to walk across! Once across, the 1st escapee says to the other " come on! What are you waiting for!??"
The other escapee ponders and says...." I know you....I know you. Once I am half way across your going to turn the flashlight off! " lol. I love it!!
Go out and buy this album everyone! :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 08:57
I would only consider this Lonely Robot album because Nick Beggs plays..........
.......thinking.....thinking.....................Nick is Bass-God for me these days...........whips Claypool for me any day........
On par with Tony Levin for sure.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 09:06
Tom, John Mitchell is a great talent. You really should look into his works. The last two It Bites albums were terrific, there's really no reason you shouldn't like them. They're accessbile but intelligent lightly influenced prog pop/rock, but still more `proggy' and satisfying than things like the Pineapple Thief, etc. Also `Map of the Past' was released on an Insideout vinyl dirt cheap.

The `Lonely Robot' album is good (I know, the name kinda sucks! ), and I'm sure you'd enjoy most of it. There's nothing actually bad on it, it's just too long.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 09:11
^ You should dig Kajagoogoo .......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 09:26
Yeah, but I'm not so desperate for new artists that I can bothered with something not even remotely proggy influenced, even if there's little traces of great playing.

I've kind of already done my time with the first Duran Duran album, early Tears for Fears, Ultravox, etc, all of which are in the same style, and likely better too.

Life's too short for the prog fan with a massive collection that's still growing for something with fleeting minimal interest!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 10:13
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Meltdowner - Baxter's is just AMAZING for a 1967 album.........
This was a major obsession for me back in 1989, always on the agenda with whatever narcotic was on the menu...... .......I've left this all behind, but still simply adore the music !!! Glad you can too
The only substance you need to enjoy that album is vinyl LOL

I forgot these from yesterday:
Franz Ferdinand & Sparks - s/t
Jean Michel Jarre - Les Chants Magnιtiques
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 11:05

Yeah, but I'm not so desperate for new artists that I can bothered with something not even remotely proggy influenced, even if there's little traces of great playing.

I've kind of already done my time with the first Duran Duran album, early Tears for Fears, Ultravox, etc, all of which are in the same style, and likely better too.

Life's too short for the prog fan with a massive collection that's still growing for something with fleeting minimal interest!

I know Michael! I know.
Although I really appreciate "the Pet Shop Boys."

Domino Dancing anyone? Anyone? Sorry to sound like Jeff Goldblum there. Lol.
Anyway. One more album today.

Leprous--Coal. ( I just ordered the Congregation. I'm sure to love it as much as the brilliant Coal. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 15:49
Tonight's choices:

Ashra – Correlations
It Bites – Map of the Past
Coheed and Cambria – Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV – Part 1
Klaus Schulze – Timewind
Klaus Schulze – Picture Music
Santana – Abraxas
Popul Vuh – In den Garten Pharoas
Can – Future Days
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 23:40
Today...
Nuova Era - Dopo L'Infinito
Invisible - self titled
Metamorfosi - Inferno
Fonderia - self titled
Delirium - self titled  (Mexico)
Finisterre - Storybook
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 09:31
Renaissance - Novella (I finally got this album only a few weeks ago and man this is excellent! I think it conatins some of the band's best moments).
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Kultivator - Barndomens Stigar
Matching Mole - Little Red Record
Chrome Hoof - Crush Depth
Il Paese Dei Balocchi - S/T
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 359360361362363 511>