Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:31
^ no one's wound up about it.
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:32
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Everybody's wound up about some righties getting involved in Texas.  Yeah, because Lord knows, the Liberal viewpoint is so under-represented in our public education system.   Our schools and universities are just bastions of right wing idealogy, liberal students are being muzzled throughout our colleges and denied the liberal viewpointsLOL

I'm not following the Texas thing, perhaps it didn't follow procedure, but I think generally it is pretty safe to say most public school systems in this country are not having right-wing ideology shoved down their throats.  Far from it.  

And your first grader can always read about little gay penguins adopting.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:37
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

That's old news - news from America are coming to Europe with the same speed as that of news from Europe coming to America, and they haven't "rewritten" anything - I think they're past the rewriting phase and are now in the implementation for all phase, they haven't voted yet - so does the article say, too. Of course, that won't stop the Guardian from being hysterical. - I think you should get hysterical about it, not The Guardian.

I'm not blaming you, I'm saying the Guardian is really late to the party: I find out about relatively important things in the UK fairly quickly. For example, I know who is the Prime Minister. ;-) Yes, the article says they haven't voted yet, but the headline acts as if they have. Although maybe some of it already pased, I don't really know what's going on. If it really is that stupid, then I'm sure it will work itself out (schools don't buy textbooks every year anyway, and there's Wikipedia, and most teachers in the US are left of center), but, without having seen the actual proposal, I bet you it's not. For example, the Guardian claims they are "dropping" Newton in favor of military-related research. Now, somehow I find it difficult to believe that there's anybody in Texas who thinks it would be better if nobody talked about Newton, so maybe they're just cutting the Newton section down, since any decent science class will cover that sort of thing in depth, and adding in a military section, since that would not be covered in your basic classes. But as far as I can tell, the actual proposal isn't on the internet, all I can find are outraged news reports. And to be honest, I don't really trust the media's reading comprehension after the NY Times v. Limbo thing.

I wasn't talking about major news, of course those circulate fast. I was thinking of this kind of material.

The rest is indeed debatable.

horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:43

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Don't get wound up DeanWink, it's a figure of speech.  Meant light-heartedly.  I didn't mean you guys were seriously ragin. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 13:15

Don't get wound up DeanWink, it's a figure of speech.  Meant light-heartedly.  I didn't mean you guys were seriously ragin. 
Well, I didn't think you meant it literally Tongue

What?
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 14:36

You guys aren't, but there are some people who are really pissed about this.

On the one hand, teh sad, but on the other hand, I don't really feel that the US government owes her money for college. Especially as I am facing a bit of an onerous burdern for college myself, as my dad makes too much money for me to qualify for scholarships but he's unable to really help me becuase my sister is also going to college and our mortgage is thousands of dollars underwater...

Edited by Henry Plainview - May 18 2010 at 14:40
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 14:49
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

You guys aren't, but there are some people who are really pissed about this.

On the one hand, teh sad, but on the other hand, I don't really feel that the US government owes her money for college. Especially as I am facing a bit of an onerous burdern for college myself, as my dad makes too much money for me to qualify for scholarships but he's unable to really help me becuase my sister is also going to college and our mortgage is thousands of dollars underwater...

Not to sound like a dick, but people treat illegal immigration like it's just a matter of "what's the big deal?  These folks are here, let them be.  Plus they do jobs no one else does."

The big problem is that illegal immigrants can live here with no social security number and pay zero federal taxes, then have children who are by birth American citizens and can go to public schools and get student loans and even grants.

I find it incredibly ironic that many liberals call for major amnesty but at the same time spout this rhetoric about "everyone paying their fair share."
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 14:57
I don't know about zero federal taxes, can't you pay income tax without a SSN? They've been here so long, I have to imagine somebody found a job that wasn't cash under the table.

And what's ironic about amnesty? Being legalized would allow them to pay all taxes. Do you have a solution for what to do with the citizen children of illegal immigrants?
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 14:59

Oil is strangling the Gulf
 Can we save the fragile eco-system?

Link

Excerpt:
Scientists are finding enormous oil plumes in the deep waters of the Gulf, including one as large as 
10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick in spots. The discovery is fresh evidence that the leak 
could be substantially worse than estimates that the government and BP have given.

“There’s a shocking amount of oil in the deep water, relative to what you see in the surface water,” said Samantha Joye,
a researcher at the University of Georgia who is involved in one of the first scientific missions to gather details about changes 
in the gulf. “There’s a tremendous amount of oil in multiple layers, three or four or five layers deep in the water column.”

The plumes are depleting the oxygen dissolved in the gulf, worrying scientists, who fear that the oxygen level
could eventually fall so low as to kill off much of the sea life near the plumes.

Dr. Joye said the oxygen had already dropped 30 percent near some of the plumes in the month since the spill.
"If this keeps up, it could draw the oxygen down to very low levels that are dangerous to animals in a couple of months,"
she said. 'That is alarming.'"

Oil could foul Florida Keys, East Coast

Link

Excerpt:
ABP said Monday more than 80% of the spilled oil was getting past them and further fouling the Gulf
as worries escalated that the ooze could carry through the Florida Keys and up the East Coast.

As engineers worked to get a better handle on the spill, a researcher told The ... AP that the oil 
may have already seeped into a powerful water stream known as the loop current, which could propel it 
into the Atlantic Ocean. A boat is being sent later this week to collect samples and learn more.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 18 2010 at 18:02
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 15:03
In the case of this girl, she's obviously extremely talented but sadly I think she has no real basis to ask for money if she's illegal. In an ideal world she SHOULD get help to go to college because she WILL succeed there and probably become an asset to this country. Alas, she has first to legalize her status. 

On the question of illegal immigration, obviously I don't agree with the Arizonean way of doing things. A reform has to give illegals a shot at a legal status, probably provided they pay penalties. But yes, they DO the jobs nobody else does, they DO receive sh*t, and they DO help move the economy not only with the jobs they do but also the money they spent when they buy things. They don't deserve full automatic legalization without a penalty, but a road has to be found other than giving police force the right to check anybody who is "too brown". 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 15:36
I think most Americans just want the Feds to do their damn job and enforce our borders.  In every other country in the world, it is just naturally assumed that sovereign countries would monitor and guard their borders, allowing immigration in whatever measured way they see fit.  Only in the US are we racists because we want our Govt  to do their job.  I'm guessing even Mexico enforces their other border, in fact I've heard they do so rather aggressively from folks coming up from the other side.  I certainly respect their right to, regardless. 

Most citizens do not care about skin color Teo, that is something the protesters push because it's a conveniently way to label (and smear) citizens who only want the law enforced for numerous good reasons.  Honestly, if there were waves of whites coming down from the other border for the same reasons, just as a hypothetical, you'd have US workers and citizens with the same concerns we currently do about Mexico.  So it is not about skin color....its about behaviour and respecting any countries right to have its laws obeyed, Mexico included. 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 18:29
I think many Americans may want that, but many others are moved by pure racism. When was the last time you saw a black/brown/yellow/etc person in an anti-immigration rally (not to mention the tea-party movement). 

I grant you: the US is much different from the rest of the world. Much stricter anti-immigration laws exist in most other civilized countries. The US welcomes people, that's good. In the end, IT WAS ALSO MADE BY IMMIGRANTS. And at one point many of them were also illegal. Though of course the problem is much bigger now with Mexico. 

If Mexico enforces their OTHER border so much is especially to stop people from using the country as a bridge towards the US. Mexico is not a rich and promising country so it's not like millions are trying desperately to get there. 

I really don't think many Americans would protest so harshly if there were waves of Canadians or any other Caucasian group coming illegally to the US through its borders. I may be wrong, but what I've seen and read makes me believe so.  

And, by the way, I'm not Mexican. Not everybody who is from south of the border is Mexican. Not everybody who is here as an illegal immigrant is Mexican, also. Mexico is just the biggest natural border with the US and of course the source of most of illegal immigration, but from all latitudes
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 18:46
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I think many Americans may want that, but many [not "many", a small minority] others are moved by pure racism. When was the last time you saw a black/brown/yellow/etc person in an anti-immigration rally (not to mention the tea-party movement). 

I really don't think many Americans would protest so harshly if there were waves of Canadians or any other Caucasian group coming illegally to the US through its borders. I may be wrong,[I think you are, I would feel exactly the same if the people doing this were white or had gummi-bears for skin] but what I've seen and read makes me believe so.  [the desire the vast majority of citizens have for a fair and workable immigration program with Mexico has nothing to do with race, and it infuriates me that I even have to say that.  the issue of race has been shamefully exploited here, and it should piss off Mexican-Americans more than anyone.  And you are starting to hear those who did it the right way come forward and express themselves, we need more to do that.]

And, by the way, I'm not Mexican. Not everybody who is from south of the border is Mexican.[Where did I say that?]  Not everybody who is here as an illegal immigrant is Mexican, also. [Never said that either] Mexico is just the biggest natural border with the US and of course the source of most of illegal immigration, but from all latitudes

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 18:59

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I think many Americans may want that, but many [not "many", a small minority] others are moved by pure racism. When was the last time you saw a black/brown/yellow/etc person in an anti-immigration rally (not to mention the tea-party movement). 

I really don't think many Americans would protest so harshly if there were waves of Canadians or any other Caucasian group coming illegally to the US through its borders. I may be wrong,[I think you are, I would feel exactly the same if the people doing this were white or had gummi-bears for skin] but what I've seen and read makes me believe so.  [the desire the vast majority of citizens have for a fair and workable immigration program with Mexico has nothing to do with race, and it infuriates me that I even have to say that.  the issue of race has been shamefully exploited here, and it should piss off Mexican-Americans more than anyone.  And you are starting to hear those who did it the right way come forward and express themselves, we need more to do that.]

And, by the way, I'm not Mexican. Not everybody who is from south of the border is Mexican.[Where did I say that?]  Not everybody who is here as an illegal immigrant is Mexican, also. [Never said that either] Mexico is just the biggest natural border with the US and of course the source of most of illegal immigration, but from all latitudes

I certainly hope so. I certainly hope people like you are the majority of those who desire immigration reform (obviously I also want it). 

I made the Mexico clarification because Mexico is always used as a generic for the illegal immigration problem. I recognize, though, that you have never done that. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 19:22
I am SO frustrated about the issue of race and the use of racism on this issue and others....but it's just too big of an issue to get into for me in a venue where I have to type.  I can't express what I need to express without being able to look the other person in the eye and speak from the heart.  But this issue of what is truly racism and how it is so easily applied to large groups of people who do not deserve it and are factually NOT racists will someday have to be tackled.  (not pinning this on you specifically Teo, rather talking about all of us)
Suffice to say the use of the race charge should offend people of every color, as they are desensitizing the public from the very serious problem when it truly does need action.  It's a very severe offense that is allowed to be floated too often without being challenged.  I see it all the time in news media web commentary and it stuns me.  I agree that the AZ law is not the way the problem is best solved.  But for so many people to label anyone who believes we have the right to a secure border and a right to curtail the massive scale illegal crossing of that border as racist, is wrong, morally and factually.   Every country has the right and the duty to do the job the citizens ask through their laws.  In this case, the Feds refuse to.  That does not mean they can't, it just means they don't have the will.  This hurts all of us, and no one more than the people from other countries who try to follow the rules and come here legally. 
OK I gotta stop.  Again, this is not at you Teo, you were just standing at the bar when I went into rant mode.Wink

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 02:55

Are you not trying to achieve the impossible? No country can control the number of illegal immigrants that cross their borders. The UK is an island so the only ways into the country should be easy to police, yet still we have (by Home Office estimates) between 300 and 500 thousand illegal immigrants here - the USA is not an island and has 7500 miles of land border to 'control'. If half a million people can enter my country illegally using a fixed number of heavily controlled legal routes, how do you stop people who are entering by an infinite number of uncontrolled illegal routes?

You cannot tell a person's nationality by looking at them
You cannot tell a tourist from a citizen by looking at them
You cannot tell a legal immigrant from illegal immigrant by looking at them
You cannot tell an immigrant from a nationalised citizen by looking at them
You cannot tell a first generation immigrant from a second generation immigrant by looking at them
You cannot tell anything of a persons legal status by skin colour
You cannot tell a real passport from a fake one just by looking at it
You cannot tell a real ID from a fake one just by looking at it

So if you cannot control the borders, and you cannot police them once they are in the country, how do you do it?

Immigration is not Race, and Race is not Skin Colour. If you discriminate against a Canadian that is racial discrimination (even though "Canadian" is not a race) because racial discrimination is defined as discrimination against any group by race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origin.
What?
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halabalushindigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 03:18
Is this Country named America purpously creating this as to create a socialist sort of way? I find "Illegals" to be honest and hard-working, I don't Mind them. As to corporate Us..look out. T.V. seems to enjoy all this at election time. Everything's good and bad at the same time. Kinda like a microwave dinner. I believe a War is on what was that Ozzy song 'Goodbye to Romance"

assume the power 1586/14.3
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 03:18

You cannot tell a tourist from a citizen by looking at them

unless you live in NY, S.F. or London Tongue
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 04:19
or Paris LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 446>