Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 46>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 04:53
Now here’s a thought^ imagine morningrise... with the production value of Blackwater park
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 05:09
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Now here’s a thought^ imagine morningrise... with the production value of Blackwater park
Wow ! I have indeed !! I know the drums sound rather flimsy on Morningrise (they sound a bit better on Orchid, surprisingly enough) but I did honestly already think your suggestions.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 05:29
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Wow ! I have indeed !! I know the drums sound rather flimsy on Morningrise (they sound a bit better on Orchid, surprisingly enough) but I did honestly already think your suggestions.

sorry to point it out, as much as I agree that an Opeth discussion is much needed (do you want me to start a thread or one of you can do it?), let's keep an eye on the rating abuse and report here Big smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 05:36
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

sorry to point it out, as much as I agree that an Opeth discussion is much needed (do you want me to start a thread or one of you can do it?), let's keep an eye on the rating abuse and report here Big smile
True, Sir !
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 08:30
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=53439

user has ratings for both the new Steven Wilson album and Kansas Album, which both are not out yet.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 10:13
^Gone, along with the other pre-release rankings for those albums. Thanks
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 12:55
OK. So perhaps numeric ratings are ok for some people. I totally understand that. But, if there's no review to accompany the numeric rating, IMO, it doesn't say anything. How can you just assume what the person who rated something was thinking if all you know is the amount of stars they gave to an album? You gotta know the person, that's one thing. But even then, it's still a guessing game.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 16:27
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

OK. So perhaps numeric ratings are ok for some people. I totally understand that. But, if there's no review to accompany the numeric rating, IMO, it doesn't say anything. How can you just assume what the person who rated something was thinking if all you know is the amount of stars they gave to an album? You gotta know the person, that's one thing. But even then, it's still a guessing game.

Although that's broadly true I'm not sure why there would be any good reason to abolish this facility. All you have to go on is how the rater interpreted the descriptions provided for each star rating. With a large enough sample size this can provide a reasonable indication if a PA member might enjoy the album. The 'ratings only review' was intended to make the site more inclusive i.e. to allow non English speakers to contribute. We can debate it's worth certainly but at least it does achieve that.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 17:03
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

this thread is in the reporting abuse section of the forum, so if you ask me, the usefulness of rating is not the place to discuss here Make a thread some place if you want to. 
Report abuse here. 
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 03:26

How can there by ratings and even a review of the new Kansas album when it is not even out yet?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 04:00
^ Guess TenYearsAfter has got their album sample a couple of days before their latest album released.

Not sure about others' ratings though ...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 08:39
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

How can there by ratings and even a review of the new Kansas album when it is not even out yet?

Its sort of been the unwritten rule over the years that reviews are accepted as there are those that get advanced copies. As long as the review indicates that the reviewer actually heard the material (as I suppose should be the case for all reviews). Myself, I received a couple different albums up to a month before release, I suspect because I was ordering other albums artist/label direct and they likely didn't want to deal with 2 different international shipments

Anyway, ratings without reviews do not enjoy the same liberty. This album along with the new Steve Wilson and Haken albums I scoured multiple times before the release date. I apparently wasn't vigilant enough on Kansas. The hilarious thing was the Haken album had numerous ratings that I had to delete multiple times before the release. Then 1 week after release it was still sitting at 0 ratings. LOL 
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 08:59
^yes, promos are already sent out ... anyhow, there's always some competition going on who will be the first to post a review ... terrible, useless ...

TSoP2018 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSoP2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 20:58
The Flower Kings "Islands" two 5 stars ratings... album out in Oct 30th...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 23:12
Originally posted by TSoP2018 TSoP2018 wrote:

The Flower Kings "Islands" two 5 stars ratings... album out in Oct 30th...

Scrubbed.

Thank you.
TSoP2018 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSoP2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 03:48
Wobbler "Dwellers of the Deep" two 5 stars ratings... album out in Oct 23rd...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 04:31
There have been some early reviewer copies distributed ^ but it’s probably not the case
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 08:08
^In which case, reviews that clearly show the album has been listened to are fine. Ratings, no. 

The ratings have been axed.

Edited by Tapfret - September 21 2020 at 08:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 17:39
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=7422

This collaborator (edit: actually not a collaborator my bad) has rated literally EVERY SINGLE dream theater release on this website as 1 star. It seems this collaborator is still active but I call BS on this one. I don't believe that this person who apparently despises the band has gone out of their way to listen to every single piece of recorded material this band, that he hates, has ever released.

Also, the fact that all the ratings are in a row kinda implies that he likely just clicked through systematically rating all but 2 releases 1 star.

Tis person here is in fact a collaborator with a similar case but to a lesser degree: http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=64154

Edited by dougmcauliffe - October 01 2020 at 05:23
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 02:04

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=7422

This collaborator has rated literally EVERY SINGLE dream theater release on this website as 1 star. It seems this collaborator is still active but I call BS on this one. I don't believe that this person who apparently despises the band has gone out of their way to listen to every single piece of recorded material this band, that he hates, has ever released.

Also, the fact that all the ratings are in a row kinda implies that he likely just clicked through systematically rating all but 2 releases 1 star.

thanks for pointing this out, those ratings need to be nuked, he is not a collaborator. 
It's rating abuse, kinda mean spirited, or is it just me? 

Edited by Cristi - October 01 2020 at 02:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 46>