Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Round 1 Lima Bracket: Genesis v. The Moody Blues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRound 1 Lima Bracket: Genesis v. The Moody Blues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Who is your band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
64 [76.19%]
20 [23.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 21:11
Genesis
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 21:30
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I never thought Genesis were a good 'pop group' although the numbers would say otherwise and if you measure the success or otherwise of a pop group then they were pretty successful.  Didn't ELP have a huge hit single one Christmas time. I would say that among Prog fans, Genesis are known as a prog band.  THe difference is that the other prog bands are not known at all among your everyday pop music fan so they would never be known as a pop group even with the odd hit at Xmas. 

I would also say you are wrong about early G and it not being exciting.  They just don't do 'rock'.

Oh...but listening to some live Genesis with Peter Gabriel... they did rock. Only, they were softer on studio. That's the very reason I like many songs from them live than studio.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 05:51
Love the Moody Blues but Genesis are in a different league.

Mind you, Justin Hayward could well be my favourite male singer of all time.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 05:53
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

OK, close the curtains, the fat lady sang.

Iván

Now, hang on a second, I'm going to be given 42 more votes any second now Big smile

On the proviso that they all go to Genesis.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 06:26

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

would it have mattered LOL, exactly my point, early Genesis is not generally something that quickens the pulse and brings out the alpha male in you.

Which of course brings me to my old favorite point,  why is Genesis the only one of the heavies NOT known AS a prog group.  Perhaps what some just don't want to admit to themselves. Genesis was a far BETTER pop group than they were a prog group.

No Micky, simply  Pop is more popular than Prog, and remember, GENESIS were in average 5 to 10 years younger than the members of all the other top 

As a fact, Genesis is the most popular band in every Prog site or in the worst scenario the second one,

Just think....THE ONLY GENESIS MEMBER INDUCTED TO HALL OF FAME AS AN INDIVIDUAL IS PETER GABRIEL, THE VOCALIST OF THE PROG ERA.

BTW Mick, if this doesn't quickens your heart you don't jhave blood LOL:

Pure emotion, claustrophobia to the extreme you feel as trapped in the cage, nobody could transmit an emotion as PG.

you know Ivan. For all the fun I have with Genesis. I do have heart, too much I suppose, and way too much red hot blood flowing. As noted earlier Genesis doesn't 'rock' which is obviously my main stylistic fault with them. Hense the years of jokes of being sleep inducing. HOWEVER...

I've been laid up sick the last few days.  Raff even tried the magnaminous duo of Magma's first and Hawkwind's Space Ritual and I could not be stirred to any degree of animation.  Yet last night as we ate dinner she put on SEBTP.  Now that is the one Genesis album that really connected with me on both counts.

The opening track had me, in spite of being sick  to the gills, rocking out and doing the air instrument thing.

And Cinema Show (my alltime fav early Genesis track) left me (for the 1000th time seemingly) with tears in my eyes at the shear beauty of the music.

My main 'problem' witth Genesis. For all their acclaim and popularity, is those moments of really being touched are so VERY few and far between.  Of course it is a matter of personal preference and stylistic perferences. But then again, this is PA's, what is the fun in not HAVING a bit of fun poking at friends and their favs. Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:42

would it have mattered LOL, exactly my point, early Genesis is not generally something that quickens the pulse and brings out the alpha male in you.

Which of course brings me to my old favorite point,  why is Genesis the only one of the heavies NOT known AS a prog group.  Perhaps what some just don't want to admit to themselves. Genesis was a far BETTER pop group than they were a prog group.

No Micky, simply  Pop is more popular than Prog, and remember, GENESIS were in average 5 to 10 years younger than the members of all the other top 

As a fact, Genesis is the most popular band in every Prog site or in the worst scenario the second one,

Just think....THE ONLY GENESIS MEMBER INDUCTED TO HALL OF FAME AS AN INDIVIDUAL IS PETER GABRIEL, THE VOCALIST OF THE PROG ERA.

Pure emotion, claustrophobia to the extreme you feel as trapped in the cage, nobody could transmit an emotion as PG.

you know Ivan. For all the fun I have with Genesis. I do have heart, too much I suppose, and way too much red hot blood flowing. As noted earlier Genesis doesn't 'rock' which is obviously my main stylistic fault with them. Hense the years of jokes of being sleep inducing. HOWEVER...

I've been laid up sick the last few days.  Raff even tried the magnaminous duo of Magma's first and Hawkwind's Space Ritual and I could not be stirred to any degree of animation.  Yet last night as we ate dinner she put on SEBTP.  Now that is the one Genesis album that really connected with me on both counts.

The opening track had me, in spite of being sick  to the gills, rocking out and doing the air instrument thing.

And Cinema Show (my alltime fav early Genesis track) left me (for the 1000th time seemingly) with tears in my eyes at the shear beauty of the music.

My main 'problem' witth Genesis. For all their acclaim and popularity, is those moments of really being touched are so VERY few and far between.  Of course it is a matter of personal preference and stylistic perferences. But then again, this is PA's, what is the fun in not HAVING a bit of fun poking at friends and their favs. Heart

Yeah, well Ivan and I are still going to get hold of those pills from the Bugs Bunny cartoon and have you repeating, "I am Elmer J. Fudd, Genesis fan. I own "A Trick of the Tail" and "Foxtrot."

LOL

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 16:22
I went with the Moodies on this one so I am on the wrong end of another beat down.  Not really surprised given who their opponent is.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 19:11
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Yeah, well Ivan and I are still going to get hold of those pills from the Bugs Bunny cartoon and have you repeating, "I am Elmer J. Fudd, Genesis fan. I own "A Trick of the Tail" and "Foxtrot."

LOL

LOL  Clap  fair enough. I own them already. It might be enough to get me to say I'm a Genesis fan, I do LOVE the 80's stuff so I wouldn't be lying hahah. 

However they haven't made the pill yet that will ever make me say that The Lamb is a great album though.  I have tried..and tried.. and tried again over the years and still have never seen what people see in that album TongueConfused
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 21:26
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I went with the Moodies on this one so I am on the wrong end of another beat down.  Not really surprised given who their opponent is.

Hey!  We agree on something.

Time always wins.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 23:33

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

LOL

LOL  Clap  fair enough. I own them already. It might be enough to get me to say I'm a Genesis fan, I do LOVE the 80's stuff so I wouldn't be lying hahah. 

However they haven't made the pill yet that will ever make me say that The Lamb is a great album though.  I have tried..and tried.. and tried again over the years and still have never seen what people see in that album TongueConfused

Me neither. It's just the album where Genesis lost their magic touch, were they dropped most anything that made them special.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 18:35
I like the Moodies but some of their songs are bit too quaint.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234